OT: Rap Fans

Advertisement
I used to take the Greyhound to NYC once a month for about 2 years during the late 90’s because my older cousin used to model for The Source, Vibe, and Upscale magazine, they’d send him two tickets and we’d roll. This was when model agencies were signing anyone who looked like Tyson Beckford and he did, same face/physique, just darker complexion. During the shoots I’d cop Avirex bombers from the ****pit in SoHo, leathers from Delancey Street (my favorite street ever) and buy fake Tag Heuers, designer purses, cheese/construction Timbs, and Uptowns (Air force 1’s from Canal Street to take back to Cleveland and make a smooth killing! I’d also bring back S&S, Ron G, and Dj Clue mixtapes to sell.

One time (mid-90’s), I went to Brooklyn with my oldest brother to visit his in-laws from East New York and from Norstrand, Fulton, Atlantic Ave all the way to Flatbush and East New York) LITERALLY ALL I HEARD were these two songs! They had the streets on 🔥 every car, every shop, every stoop, every bodega was blasting either of these two songs:

Steve McGuire, our stud RB of late '80's, early '90's was from East New York. Van Sicken Ave as I recall.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CULTURE.

Rock is different because there are a lot of different types of white “cultures” and the music reflected the ever changing tastes of what white kids consider cool.

The black experience is a bit more uniform. Most black people have a DIRECT connection to street money culture. Even if they are not in it, they are tied to it by family who still live in the “hood”.

Once street money culture took over the rap game, there was no going back. Unfortunately, the richest people most (not all) black people know personally got their wealth from street money. Until that changes, there won’t be much change to the most popular forms of rap that emphasize lavish lifestyles and street money culture.

If America ended the narcotics prohibition and made easy money harder to get, you may see a change in this trend.

Hip hop has been about flaunting money, girls, and machismo for almost 30 years now. It has been about that way MUCH longer than positive Afrocentrism, house parties, and rocking the mic.

It won’t change until America owns up to its sins and admit to what they REALLY did to us. It won’t happen though. The state of the black community at large didn’t just materlize itself magically out of thin air. It took a tremendous effort and vast resources both intellectual and material to create and maintain the current state.

The violent, boastful, hyper sexual black thug was designed, modeled, and manufactured by America just like the automobile or light bulbs with premeditated intent with a known end game.

There is no will to change this in any real, effective way that addresses the real issues that caused and perpetuate the current situation. So you are probably resigned to listening to old records for a sense of nostalgia.

Word of advice though. There is solid hip hop out there that reminds you of the old days. You won’t hear it on the radio though. You gotta dig to find those diamonds.

**** DUDE!!! You just posted nothing but FIRE!!! My boy....1000 up votes

I used to take the Greyhound to NYC once a month for about 2 years during the late 90’s because my older cousin used to model for The Source, Vibe, and Upscale magazine, they’d send him two tickets and we’d roll. This was when model agencies were signing anyone who looked like Tyson Beckford and he did, same face/physique, just darker complexion. During the shoots I’d cop Avirex bombers from the ****pit in SoHo, leathers from Delancey Street (my favorite street ever) and buy fake Tag Heuers, designer purses, cheese/construction Timbs, and Uptowns (Air force 1’s from Canal Street to take back to Cleveland and make a smooth killing! I’d also bring back S&S, Ron G, and Dj Clue mixtapes to sell.

One time (mid-90’s), I went to Brooklyn with my oldest brother to visit his in-laws from East New York and from Norstrand, Fulton, Atlantic Ave all the way to Flatbush and East New York) LITERALLY ALL I HEARD were these two songs! They had the streets on 🔥 every car, every shop, every stoop, every bodega was blasting either of these two songs:

Nostrand Ave....my old stompin grounds...
Biggie OWNED Brooklyn in the 90s...So did EPMD even though they were originally from Brentwood Long Island...

Advertisement
Jadakiss has the best Album out RN

Herb and lil baby are next

Lil baby is the hottest rapper out right now...

Nostrand Ave....my old stompin grounds...
Biggie OWNED Brooklyn in the 90s...So did EPMD even though they were originally from Brentwood Long Island...
There used to be an Italian pizza spot on Nostrand that I always went to in the 90’s. Huge thin slices (that you could buy by the slice), that we would fold and eat almost like a sandwich. It was ABSOLUTELY delicious!

Advertisement
brooklyn ain’t brooklyn any more. Hipsters, Russians, and gentrification made sure of that.
I heard, I’ve been to NYC at least 50 times but not once in the last 20 years (fastest 20 years ever). I only know the old Brooklyn (I actually bought gold fronts from Albee Square Mall), the old Harlem, the old 42nd Street (strip clubs, hookers and *** shops and signs as far as you can see down the street), and the old Canal Street.

My brother’s in-laws moved from East NY and now live in Wyandanch, Long Island so visiting them doesn’t have the same flare

Harlem ain’t the same either...I haven’t been back in a bit but I miss the city that raised me.

East NY is rough AF. Your BIL prolly made right decision.

If someone has never been to the old 90’s Brooklyn, in my opinion these two albums will take you right to the nostalgic settings I described. These two albums personify Brooklyn to me:

D7AD46C7-5AAF-4672-ABB2-35E29965A38B.jpeg
BA3A3E99-037C-4FA7-9665-2C2E023A3BB1.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not a rap guy (rock, pop, metal guy) but I respect the genre cause those rappers can remember all those lyrics! I worked in a record store in south East LA back in the late 80s and all we sold was rap. Had to lean about NWA and the Ghetto Boys real quick!! Straight Outta Compton is a masterpiece.

I dont know enough about rap to know the various styles. Maybe someone here can help because a lot of it sounds the same to me. I like this style.

Advertisement
Back