OT: Rap Fans

Advertisement
Rod Wave has the Rich Homie Quan vibe to me. I was just telling my ppls the other day Rod Wave might have a short lifespan like RHQ if he can’t switch his flow.

My homeboy recently put me on 21. I been on Ross since Port of Miami. Listened to him so much ppl called me Ross in hs cause I was always pulling up blasting him in the student lot. I had all the triple c mixtapes. Me and my boy use to have arguments on who was better out of triple c and dipset lol.
These two were my morning music and what I was known for in 10th/11th grade. When I removed my headphones in first period the whole class would sing the rest of the verse. By the end of the year everyone knew both songs, that’s how loud my Walkman was 😂

Chubb Rock’s verse gives me the chills and Jeru’s is one of the best in hip-hop history.

These two were my morning music and what I was known for in 10th/11th grade. When I removed my headphones in first period the whole class would sing the rest of the verse. By the end of the year everyone knew both songs, that’s how loud my Walkman was 😂

Chubb Rock’s verse gives me the chills and Jeru’s is one of the best in hip-hop history.

I was just about 3-4 years old when these songs came out, but i still listen to them to this day. I remember all the OGs on my block outside bumping this schit.

After seeing the OP, out of plain curiosity, I listened to the first :45 of just about every song.

I seriously have no idea how anyone could subject themselves to this ****. Modern hip-hop is undoubtedly the ******* worst thing ever. If that’s the AOTY, that’s more depressing than 4th & 17 vs UNC.

These so called “artists” have as much talent a a ****-stained underwear.

How did this genre fall of such a cliff since the 90s?
I don't wtf going on anymore I just listen if they have a good beat now that's it. I listen to local blends in my hood that's it nothing else. I fell off when hip hop fell off

Advertisement
I gotta check out Rod Wave. I really didn't know about him. He was the only one on your list I never heard of, so I googled him and said "oh word that was the dude from that Durk song". So I'm going to check out some of his other schit now.
Rod wave is legit. That heart on ice song with Dirk is one of his biggest songs. He is a local boy from St Pete who is been blowing up last year

Check out Popular Loner, Feel the same way ft moneybagg yo, misunderstood, and Cuban links ft Kevin gates.

Rod wave is legit. That heart on ice song with Dirk is one of his biggest songs. He is a local boy from St Pete who is been blowing up last year

Check out Popular Loner, Feel the same way ft moneybagg yo, misunderstood, and Cuban links ft Kevin gates.

I'm gonna check them out bro. Appreciate it.

Advertisement
Gotta disagree on part of this. People seem to think the only lyricists are people that try to get into deep meanings or something like that. People constantly bring up J cole and guys like him as "lyricists".

ODB has plenty of dope *** lines. Lots of great lyrics in his song. Some of the best lyricists of all time weren't these soft *** "deep" rappers like Cole. Pun, L, Jada, Fab, Cassidy, most of the Wu, etc. are some of the GOATs and none of them were "deep" or "woke" rappers.

Even now Gucci Mane, Boosie, Tee Grizzley, 21 savage all have just as good if not better lyrics than guys like Cole, but they aren't considered "lyricists" because your average rap fan now can't associate with what they are speaking on.
I feel the same , bro. Another example for what you're talking about that I've argued for years is M.O.P. They had some profoubd and even political, easily as deep and lyrical as anything youd hear from whomever is considered a lyricist these days.

Their cut "Wolves" from the Training Day soundtrack popped on my shuffle this morning. I was like got ****, Billy was spitting some real ****.

lil uzi vert is the most versatile rap artist in this generation out right now. Very Talented. He had some straight 🔥 on this album and he’s about to drop the deluxe version this week with even more songs that’s going to be straight Heat. I cant Wait until he drop Kobe rollie(jellybean) and hopefully thot back which was produced by Pi’erre Bourne. Pi’erre got some hits too music wise like his album tlop4, he doesn’t just make beats

Last edited:
No mention of NBA Youngboy renders this thread void of any credibility.

And no he does not mumble at all, you can hear every lyric loud and clear.

Herbo is nice too.
I’m a Nipsey, Dark Lo, Lik Moss, Shoota93 type of guy mostly as far as new stuff that correlates well with my era of hip-hop.
Young boy new album was ***, complete ***. It wasn’t nothing like when he released songs like nobody hold me or the 38 baby mixtape.

Advertisement
Rod Wave, Roddy Rich, nba youngboy, both Of the babies, Kodak, and Koly p are the only new age rappers I can constantly vibe to. The rest will have a song here and there that I’ll randomly here and it will catch my attention. I still mostly listen to Ross, Jeezy, Gotti, iceberg and boosie.
Rod rave repping that 727

The wave coming out of Brooklyn is dope right now. I dig the UK drill beats with NY MCs on them. I listen to Griselda, Dom Kennedy, and Bizzy Banks. Can’t stand this weirdo rap **** but to each it’s own I will give it a listen.

This is a much better album....

View attachment 113120
Money man do be going crazy, didn’t even know he dropped anything this year. Last album II’ve heard of his was with peewee longway. About to listen to this album now.

edit:, just listened to it, bunch of throwaway songs for moneyman on this one. Only liked
These 3
DF4B0F78-EB02-40A9-9952-54EFB66FD106.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was just about 3-4 years old when these songs came out, but i still listen to them to this day. I remember all the OGs on my block outside bumping this schit.
I used to take the Greyhound to NYC once a month for about 2 years during the late 90’s because my older cousin used to model for The Source, Vibe, and Upscale magazine, they’d send him two tickets and we’d roll. This was when model agencies were signing anyone who looked like Tyson Beckford and he did, same face/physique, just darker complexion. During the shoots I’d cop Avirex bombers from the ****pit in SoHo, leathers from Delancey Street (my favorite street ever) and buy fake Tag Heuers, designer purses, cheese/construction Timbs, and Uptowns (Air force 1’s from Canal Street to take back to Cleveland and make a smooth killing! I’d also bring back S&S, Ron G, and Dj Clue mixtapes to sell.

One time (mid-90’s), I went to Brooklyn with my oldest brother to visit his in-laws from East New York and from Norstrand, Fulton, Atlantic Ave all the way to Flatbush and East New York) LITERALLY ALL I HEARD were these two songs! They had the streets on 🔥 every car, every shop, every stoop, every bodega was blasting either of these two songs:

Advertisement
Back