OT-Question about Ft. Lauderdale area

JMH/the complex has always been like that. There’s just certain areas were the homeless congregate, but to say that is everywhere in South Florida, you must not be going around much, because I can tell you it’s not
Its not always been these numbers. Perhaps homeless are congregating more at advice of advocates for easier access to services? Perhaps not as many shelter options? Perhaps homeless choose (in greater numbers) to not utilize shelter and other support services?

The answers are many.

Certainly SoFL is not zombieland, but more homeless sightings on University Dr... canary in coal mine.

Regardless of number, those suffering from obvious mental health issues is heartbreaking.

Last edited:
Advertisement
3500/mo will get you just about anywhere you want, and if they’re working at Broward medical center you could even stay beachfront.
Wow, I had no idea that Broward was so much cheaper than Miami. I separated in 2018 and had to look for an apartment. I wanted something furnished with a budget over $5k/mo and couldn’t find anything nice in Coconut Grove. I ended up spending $4k/mo for unfurnished on a 12 month lease in Coral Gables.

Its not always been these numbers. Perhaps homeless are congregating more at advice of advocates for easier access to services? Perhaps not as many shelter options? Perhaps homeless choose (in greater numbers) to not utilize shelter and other support services?

The answers are many.

Certainly SoFL is not zombieland, but more homeless sightings on University Dr... canary in coal mine.

Regardless of number, those suffering from obvious mental health issues is heartbreaking.

The inflection point was when all the state mental health units started to shut down decades ago. Those people had nowhere to go

The inflection point was when all the state mental health units started to shut down decades ago. Those people had nowhere to go
Absolutely part of the root cause.

Add zero supportive family/social network...

boom... tragedy abounds

In general, mental health is an underserved medical profession from top to bottom. Tough problem with no easy answer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back