OT: period drama enthusiasts

CanesWooshWoosh

Banned
Banned
Period TV shows from a snobby perspective, looking for suggestions
#1 and #2 are so closely intertwined. I’ll go with the concensus 1
1. Peaky Blinders - great script, great acting, slow build, intricate plot, perspective of actual historical movements. Cillian Murphy is an all timer. Tom Hardy comes strong. As does adrien Brody. The score is excellent. There’s very little to criticize.

2. Taboo - I actually prefer the art:buildup:cinematography straight from the deranged mind of Thomas Hardy. This show packs it all, the English royalty, East Indian trading company, CIA, native Americans. In general though, this show has the strongest protagonist I’ve ever seen. It remains my personal favorite.

3. Sherlock on amazon with Benedict cumberbatch - Love/hate. It hooked me.

4. Banished - Australian show about the first settlement of prisoners banished to the Australian island. Incredibly interesting. It’s very simply portrayed, the script is good enough, and the story line takes you into their world. Easy watch.

5. The Last Kingdom - this is a guilty pleasure of mine, but the production value is above average, the acting is good enough, the script is not too cheesy, and the historical re-enactment is actually substantially accurate. Strong protagonist, there are a lot of complex competing issues that are worth their screen time.

7. Troy Fall of a city - watching it now. It’s cheesy but bearable.1

8. Knightfall - easy watch. Gore. Soap opera. Stupid. Fun.

Someone else wanna take me into a period piece?

Advertisement
Another great period piece is the wire. It takes you back to the early 2000s and has great production value.

Also, if you want to take it WAYYYYYYYY back we also got the sopranos. That will take you back into the late 90s into the life of your everyday local New jeresey mob boss.

Advertisement
OZ great representation of prison and life behind bars. Set in 1995 totally a true story. Made from same producers who brought us the Wire.

Lena Dunham's "Girls" that was on HBO. Not necessarily a period piece but more of a menstrual piece.

Gross jokes aside, "The Americans" on FX did a great job with the Cold War 80's.

Is it bad that I immediately thought this thread was going to be about dudes with a period fetish? I'm not sure if that says more about me or this board?

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Crown - highest quality production values in TV to date. Set design/location, cinematography, acting, etc. all top-notch.

Mad Men - has its bad moments especially in the later seasons but great characters strongly established setting make it one of the best shows overall.

Fargo - haven't seen S3 yet but S2 kinda qualifies as a period drama. It's wacky and entertaining.

Advertisement
Sunday nights "Outlander" time , I have to tip toe past the wife in total silence to get to the fridge LMAO

Yup. It's a tv series based on a series of romance/historical fiction novels with a time traveling female protagonist who is in love with two men in two different times. Pass.

Although the ending was abrupt b/c (if I recall correctly) it was cancelled after 3 seasons, I recommend Deadwood as a period piece. Acting is very good -Timothy Olyphant, Ian McShane, and Kim ****ens. And apparently HBO is making a movie to tie a bow on the series that is supposed to come out next year.

Yup. It's a tv series based on a series of romance/historical fiction novels with a time traveling female protagonist who is in love with two men in two different times. Pass.

Although the ending was abrupt b/c (if I recall correctly) it was cancelled after 3 seasons, I recommend Deadwood as a period piece. Acting is very good -Timothy Olyphant, Ian McShane, and Kim ****ens. And apparently HBO is making a movie to tie a bow on the series that is supposed to come out next year.

OMG DEADWOOD........YESSSS love it love it......:cool:

Great Period Shows-

1. The Wire (Could watch this over & over)

2. Narcos (Documentary, but you see how grimey the gov’t is, and how sick the 80’s were for violence)

3. Sopranos (Mob anything is good w me)

4. The Breaks-Only two seasons, but takes you back to 80’s of how hip hop first started, and how corner boys were leading double lives trying to rap and slang dope.

***truth be told, if ur not careful, it’s hella shoes that’ll have you straight couch potato mode. Thanks guys; now imma have to check out these other joints.

Advertisement
Back