OT: Pac 12 Replay/Targeting Shenanigans

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Advertisement
Not a good look. I would go on strike as a PAC12 referee until that was changed.

Honestly, the targeting penalities should be treated like unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. (2 and you're out, plus suspended next game).

Its amazing to me that a man can kick a man in the crotch, chop block, and facemask and not get thrown out of the game.

Its a totally unfair rule, because the offensive player can use their helmet at will.

Call me a cynic, but officiating can be and has been rigged imo. The OSU/UM nc game will go down as the worst of all egregious case of putrid rotten fish. So now insert the third party final word crony and you got smelly fish again. The powers at be can cover up anything so forget an FBI thorough investigation. Further, I don't like some of the rationale behind the targeting calls in respect to intent. Too little time to prevent helmet contact when the receiver is split second moving as well.
I guess we will have to watch boxing to get objective officiating.

I would be ok with IF they put Jonathan Vilma in charge of the general counsel. If in typical ACC fashion they refused to allow a UM alumni to be in charge of it I would be OK with James Harrison taking the reigns.

Call me a cynic, but officiating can be and has been rigged imo. The OSU/UM nc game will go down as the worst of all egregious case of putrid rotten fish. So now insert the third party final word crony and you got smelly fish again. The powers at be can cover up anything so forget an FBI thorough investigation. Further, I don't like some of the rationale behind the targeting calls in respect to intent. Too little time to prevent helmet contact when the receiver is split second moving as well.
I guess we will have to watch boxing to get objective officiating.

Haha. I'm going to stick to Olympic sports with Soviet judges to get my objective officiating.

I'm just amazed (although I shouldn't be) that this superseding 3rd party exists in this manner on the replays. I guarantee you that 99.999% of college football fans believed that the absolute final decisions were made in the replay booth.

Kudos to this bitter Pac 12 official for bringing this all to light (at least in their own conference) with his very intentional verbiage in that postgame report.

Advertisement
Forgive me that it's a Yahoo piece but it's kinda crazy. Apparently the general counsel of the Pac 12 is able to call in and overrule the on-field and replay officials. Can you imagine if one of the Tobacco Road Mafia from the ACC (has) pulled this against us?

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-spor...led-targeting-call-pac-12-game-040318946.html

There’s no telling what’s already going on.

From the article: “Four of the five major conferences – ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC – have some sort of replay center at their home offices to consult on calls during game days.”

In essence, the mechanism and means already exists and is in place for the “Tobacco Road Mafia” to influence calls and games. I’m sure it’s already happened.

This will rear its ugly head against us sooner or later.

From the article: “Four of the five major conferences – ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC – have some sort of replay center at their home offices to consult on calls during game days.”

In essence, the mechanism and means already exists and is in place for the “Tobacco Road Mafia” to influence calls and games. I’m sure it’s already happened.

Agreed. Hopefully it happens in some other big game east of the Mississippi first so it turns into some giant scandal. I'm not sure an example from Friday night game on the west coast in September between Wash St and a junk USC team is going to get this the proper attention.

Forgive me that it's a Yahoo piece but it's kinda crazy. Apparently the general counsel of the Pac 12 is able to call in and overrule the on-field and replay officials. Can you imagine if one of the Tobacco Road Mafia from the ACC (has) pulled this against us?

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-spor...led-targeting-call-pac-12-game-040318946.html

Let me be brutally honest! This is America! The Man makes the laws and rules. The Man enforces the laws and rules. The Man Interprets the laws and rules. The Man makes special rules to control peoples or organizations (ie referees) and The Man circumvents and manipulates the very same rules The Man made. Why is anyone surprised by any egregious action by The Man/Men in power. We see it in politics. We see it in business. We see it in criminal justice. We see it in college football, NCAA/SEC, on and on.

You didn't know this was going on?
It started a year or 2 ago.

Advertisement

It copies the NFL model and there are possible issues with it but what went on here was a completely different level.

Dixon is the Pac-12 exec and general counsel:

"Dixon oversees football for the conference but is not a formally trained official. Dixon telephoned in his opinion that the play wasn’t targeting, sources said. According to the report, his opinion overruled both the trained officials in the stadium replay booth and in the league’s command center."

The PAC-12 gives either the SEC or the BIG 10 conferences it's run for the money when it comes to CORRUPTION and what not!

Let me be brutally honest! This is America! The Man makes the laws and rules. The Man enforces the laws and rules. The Man Interprets the laws and rules. The Man makes special rules to control peoples or organizations (ie referees) and The Man circumvents and manipulates the very same rules The Man made. Why is anyone surprised by any egregious action by The Man/Men in power. We see it in politics. We see it in business. We see it in criminal justice. We see it in college football, NCAA/SEC, on and on.

Post of the moment!:youre-nuts: No ifs, buts or hUh.

****....tell us how you really feel!!
Lol....but on a serious note....
Spot on!!

Advertisement

I knew some plays were being kicked out to and reviewed by some official separate from the local crew, but honestly never gave it much thought.

The OP’s post got me thinking about the Tobacco Road bias, which I’ve seen on numerous occasions, and the fact that this is actually going to ACC HQ means that there’s probably other people there other than the head official that reviews the calls. So who knows if those other administrators at the ACC home office, might have an influence or exert their bias into final calls.

I knew some plays were being kicked out to and reviewed by some official separate from the local crew, but honestly never gave it much thought.

The OP’s post got me thinking about the Tobacco Road bias, which I’ve seen on numerous occasions, and the fact that this is actually going to ACC HQ means that there’s probably other people there other than the head official that reviews the calls. So who knows if those other administrators at the ACC home office, might have an influence or exert their bias into final calls.

Absolutely agree. Sketchy would be an understatement.

Advertisement
No one remembers the UNC touchdown a couple of years ago in the west endzone that wasn't actually a TD!?!? I believe we were told the replay officials weren't given the angle that showed the WR nevwer had possesion of the ball. That was some BS right there.

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...2016-photos-video-show-controversial-td-call/

That bltch ACC ref was looking right at him bobbling that ball, too. It shouldn’t have even been called a TD on the field, that’s how obvious it was.

Fūcking crooked Tobacco Road rednecks.

Advertisement
Back