OT: OSU AD calls out Gundy for mediocre recruiting

Man, I really bet he's kicking himself in the *** for not taking the UT or UF job right now. I want to say FSU reached out to him as well, lmao.

Advertisement
I don't disagree with the AD. Gundy is clearly a good coach. Offensively, at least. Still if OSU has any hope of becoming an actual contender, he has to recruit better. There's only so much you can outscheme opponents. Eventually superior talent wins out. There's no excuse for them to be picking through the scraps. They've been major player in a p5 conference for a while now. They have an unlimited budget. They have top notch facilities. Nebraska, Texas, A&M and Baylor are all slumping. They should be able to get some Texas talent. Unless they're happy winning 9 games a year in the weakest p5 conference.

That’s what a $5 million a year mullet looks like.

To put it in perspective, “I’m a man, I’m 40” makes a million more a year than our current head coach.

And has one, singular key booster that supports the athletic program that we don't. If Phillip Frost or Micky Arison decided they wanted to make Canes football a priority, we'd never stop winning rings.

Sooner Fiasco?
Yes Sooner fiasco that occurred a few years back and a big reason or some of the reason why Bob stepped down. The Mad Hatter Les Miles was there prior and everyone knows his scandalous history. The Cane's has always been my top school buy a mile but the Big 12 is where I receive red carpet treatment.

Advertisement
Dumb, ill timed statement to make publicly even if its true.

The statement cannot in any way be helpful towards improving the situation.

Sounds more like someone covering his own failings

who the **** was ok state before gundy

gundy gonna be gone soon, and I would be too

Advertisement
There about the same coach. Some 9-10 win seasons and some good bowl games but that's about it.

There's only one problem, one managed to win 9-10 games in a significantly better conference, with actual expectations. Gundy is in a conference in which a fair amount of it was
I don't disagree with the AD. Gundy is clearly a good coach. Offensively, at least. Still if OSU has any hope of becoming an actual contender, he has to recruit better. There's only so much you can outscheme opponents. Eventually superior talent wins out. There's no excuse for them to be picking through the scraps. They've been major player in a p5 conference for a while now. They have an unlimited budget. They have top notch facilities. Nebraska, Texas, A&M and Baylor are all slumping. They should be able to get some Texas talent. Unless they're happy winning 9 games a year in the weakest p5 conference.

OU and UT gets first pick of talent in that part of the world. Then you have the guys that leave the area and end up either heading to the east or west coast. You also have to remember, EVERYONE recruits Texas. Unless Okie Light starts dropping significant financial inducements, odds are they are maxed out in regards to recruiting. Okie State's AD needs to take a good, hard look at what his program was BEFORE Les Miles showed up. They were pure garbage for most of the last 100 years, with some also ran years.

Recruiting at OSU and recruiting at Miami are two different things. He'd win here, and recruits would come. Did Jimmy Johnson get Miami recruits when he was at OSU?

I'm glad we got Richt, but this guy was on my very short list of coaches I'd like to see here.

I like Gundy; but we would’ve been scoring 55 giving up 60.

Advertisement

An unlimited budget? You seem to know nothing of OK St.

Their budget depends almost entirely on the whims on a 80 year old man. Yes, he's given a ton of money, but they don't have a deep bench of boosters like Oklahoma or Texas to support a major bag game.

Stillwater is also a pretty mediocre town, and Oklahoma isn't exactly a major recruiting state. Plus OSU will always be second fiddle to Oklahoma.

The grass is always greener argument is a dangerous one. Gundy is one of the best coaches OK St has ever had. Somehow being disappointed witrh him, not because of actual results, but because of what Rivals/247 think is just ridiculous.

Advertisement
His evaluations are pretty good. He always has a talented team. Sends guys to the league.

He also consistently wins 10 games and is second fiddle in a state without high end talent. Has to go steal from other states.

AD is a Moran.

The article and data disagrees with you. In fact, that was the measuring stick the author used....................I agree he is a very good coach, but I don't know if I would want him here.

who the **** was ok state before gundy

gundy gonna be gone soon, and I would be too

But the also weren't paying 5 million dollars for a coach and building elite facilities before Gundy.
I get that it's Stillwater and you aren't going to be bringing in Top 10 recruiting classes every year. But look at some of their commits. They have 13 commits and at least half of them don't have a P5 offer outside of Ok State. You can't tell me that's what must be accepted recruiting at Ok St.

Advertisement
Back