OT - Oregon TE Dies After Hitting Head on Rock Slides

When y’all say things like “prayers to his family...” do you guys actually say a real life prayer for them.... or do you just stop at saying the word “prayers”.
ricky GIF

Advertisement
When y’all say things like “prayers to his family...” do you guys actually say a real life prayer for them.... or do you just stop at saying the word “prayers”.
I didn’t know there was a measuring stick for a prayer…my faith has taught me intent is a very powerful force, even if its just intent. The rest is gravy.

Journey well young man. We lost a Basketball player in college going off a rope swing and hitting his head, way too young.

Advertisement
Do you actually care? Not trying to be a jerk, but why are you asking?
Through loss I’ve experienced in my life, the superficial condolences always irked me and it’s developed in to a bit of a petpeeve.

When I have struggled with the loss of a close one, especially those lost unexpectedly (like this) it got under my skin when people would join in on the social trend to be a part of a group by just telling me “prayers to you and your family” meanwhile I am actually struggling in real life, and believe in the power of prayer. I always felt like I could really use genuine real life prayer, but if your saying it just to say it and be seen that your saying it, I never took to kindly to that while I was grieving.

Same issue when a friend passes away in highschool, and next thing you know the whole school is showing up at the funeral. Didn’t know him or the family, but they show up just to be seen there and to be able to post on their socials that they did it.

Say a real prayer, send some flowers or keepsakes, contribute to a related cause in some way... but (I feel like) posting a gif saying “prayers” on social media or a Miami Hurricanes page is just fake. And isn’t usually genuinely appreciated by those grieving.

But I digress, continue as you will.

Last edited:
Maybe you can explain it to me. Because other than to mock people that pray, I’m just wondering what the rationale is. I’m hoping that’s not it. The truth is, I am areligious but I respect people that have faith.
I can't speak for JV, but the difference between typing "prayers sent" and actually praying for someone is not inconsequential to most of us. Prayer is a conscious act, a participation in the needs and desires of others. Prayer is exerting effort to think and feel for them, speak words on their behalf and set them before the eyes of God on the altar of your heart.

Saying "prayers sent" without actually praying is the difference between thinking "society must care for the poor" and actually volunteering to help at a homeless shelter. I will remember the Webb family, I will pray for them multiple times, because I have taken a moment to meditate on their loss and ask God, in hope, for their healing.

I do not want this thread to become about this question, however. It should remain about Spencer, his life, and his family. Though I appreciate you asking for clarity.

Advertisement
Through loss I’ve experienced in my life, the superficial condolences always irked me and it’s developed in to a bit of a petpeeve.

When I have struggled with the loss of a close one, especially those lost unexpectedly (like this) it got under my skin when people would join in on the social trend to be a part of a group by just telling me “prayers to you and your family” meanwhile I am actually struggling in real life, and believe in the power of prayer. I always felt like I could really use genuine real life prayer, but if your saying it just to say it and be seen that your saying it, I never took to kindly to that while I was grieving.

Same issue when a friend passes away in highschool, and next thing you know the whole school is showing up at the funeral. Didn’t know him or the family, but they show up just to be seen there and to be able to post on their socials that they did it.

Say a real prayer, send some flowers or keepsakes, contribute to a related cause in some way... but posting a gif saying “prayers” on social media or a Miami Hurricanes page is just fake. And isn’t usually genuinely appreciated by those grieving.

Well then I misunderstood the motive of your question.

While I myself personally struggle with faith and “praying” in my tenuous agnosticism, I don’t demean nor have antipathy for those that are faithful. I welcome them, and am grateful that they are nourished and sustained by their faith.

I hope that you come to terms with your anger towards those that may be flippant (according to you) with their social media utterances, or actions (like attending funerals).
Does it really harm anyone whether it’s sincere or not? Also, I think most people that are grieving, are not concerned with others’ sincerity regarding praying or grief.

As someone that has had abundant loss/grief in their life, I can tell you that the last thing I ever cared about was whether someone was sincere in their expressions of condolence, no matter how they were expressed.

As has been stated by others in prior posts, and I agree with this, I think we should keep this about the young man and his untimely accidental death so that’s all I’m going to say on this topic. Take care.

I can't speak for JV, but the difference between typing "prayers sent" and actually praying for someone is not inconsequential to most of us. Prayer is a conscious act, a participation in the needs and desires of others. Prayer is exerting effort to think and feel for them, speak words on their behalf and set them before the eyes of God on the altar of your heart.

Saying "prayers sent" without actually praying is the difference between thinking "society must care for the poor" and actually volunteering to help at a homeless shelter. I will remember the Webb family, I will pray for them multiple times, because I have taken a moment to meditate on their loss and ask God, in hope, for their healing.

I do not want this thread to become about this question, however. It should remain about Spencer, his life, and his family. Though I appreciate you asking for clarity.
Inday........I am going to admit that your post moved me tremendously.. thinking of others in their time of need, especially when someone so vibrant and young passes...... brings up the question of our OWN mortality, and for some that is very, very, scary.

It is not the thought... it is the act......the "verb" doing something.

We all should take the time to meditate on a life lost, and the fact that he will not be able to flourish as an adult contributing to life by his future actions is a loss for all of us..
To be lost at such a young age too,........... the pain and hurt on his family must be indescribable....

Thanks for your post, it made me stop, think, and meditate on this loss of Spencer.
May he RIP.

Inday........I am going to admit that your post moved me tremendously.. thinking of others in their time of need, especially when someone so vibrant and young passes...... brings up the question of our OWN mortality, and for some that is very, very, scary.

It is not the thought... it is the act......the "verb" doing something.

We all should take the time to meditate on a life lost, and the fact that he will not be able to flourish as an adult contributing to life by his future actions is a loss for all of us..
To be lost at such a young age too,........... the pain and hurt on his family must be indescribable....

Thanks for your post, it made me stop, think, and meditate on this loss of Spencer.
May he RIP.

Very nice post. As a parent, a loss like this seems unfathomable to me. It’s painful to even think about it.

I can’t think of a worse thing happening to me than something like this. I would be despondent with grief. But of course this is not about me, it’s about this young man with his whole life ahead of him.

Having children, as well as getting older, has taught me, as I said elsewhere, that every day is truly a gift. I honestly feel for him and his family, as I would for any young person taken tragically like this, and I honestly hope they find peace and strength as they maneuver through the aftermath.

Say a real prayer, send some flowers or keepsakes, contribute to a related cause in some way... but posting a gif saying “prayers” on social media or a Miami Hurricanes page is just fake. And isn’t usually genuinely appreciated by those grieving.

Respect for your experiences. However, you should never project or transfer your values/perceptions onto others, calling them fake just because you experienced it or feel that way.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This was initially reported as a cliff jumping/diving accident which doesn't even seem like a possibility at this lake. Crazy for a kid to die just having fallen or tripped on some wet rocks but I guess when it's your time it's your time. I can't even imagine the scene there immediately after this happened.

This was initially reported as a cliff jumping/diving accident which doesn't even seem like a possibility at this lake. Crazy for a kid to die just having fallen or tripped on some wet rocks but I guess when it's your time it's your time. I can't even imagine the scene there immediately after this happened.

Oh it happens a lot. Probably most times it doesn’t necessarily result in death but it can at least result in serious injury like concussion, fractured skull, and worse as in this case.

If you’re in a rocky area and those rocks are wet for example, and you slip, especially if you’re moving along at a faster than crawling clip, you can build up enough acceleration that you lose complete control and your head can smack a rock.

Especially thinking about that you have a very heavy object (your head) sitting on top of your shoulders, being held up by one very flexible cord with very movable muscles and tendons. You can build up enough acceleration in a short quick fall, that you have no control where your head goes, and the rapid force and deceleration of your head striking a blunt object like a rock is enough to kill you. Even when falling a very short distance.

Think about how many people die each year from getting cold ****ed, and then just falling rapidly on a hard surface like concrete and their head smacks the ground.

I’m not trying introduce introduce levity into this tragic situation, but I slipped running on a wet floor one time and my head made a perfectly formed head shaped dent into a stainless steel refrigerator. What happened was freakish no doubt but super possible.

It’s just so sad for this young man and his family.

Advertisement
Back