OT: Nico Marley doing well in camp with Washington

Advertisement
I loved Rohan when he was here. no, we shouldn't have offered Nico. not many others did. he's barely 5'8. I stood next to him and talked to him at the Y out in Weston about 6 months ago. it worked out ok for him, but, he shouldn't have been offered just b/c he was a legacy. I'm not sure if his play in hs warranted a UM offer.

I loved Rohan when he was here. no, we shouldn't have offered Nico. not many others did. he's barely 5'8. I stood next to him and talked to him at the Y out in Weston about 6 months ago. it worked out ok for him, but, he shouldn't have been offered just b/c he was a legacy. I'm not sure if his play in hs warranted a UM offer.

Riiiiight.

Because ALLLLL of those Golden signees were better prospects.

Tyrann Mathieu, as a fully-grown man, is 5'9". And that MIGHT include the afro.

Advertisement

You running mat drills behind my back?

We shouldn't have offered a guy that is an NFL player?

Were there 4-5 other linebackers on our roster during his career that were better than him? If so, then we shouldn't have offered him, but I seriously doubt that were even three linebackers better than him during that era.

Riiiiight.

way to search deep for the exception to the rule and use it as your example. Maybe we should offer all 5'8" lb then.....the point is, its not a mistake to not take a risk on a 5'8" linebacker.

Riiiiight.

way to search deep for the exception to the rule and use it as your example. Maybe we should offer all 5'8" lb then.....the point is, its not a mistake to not take a risk on a 5'8" linebacker.

Oh yeah, the Juannabe-cane is back to take another run at me.

What an ignorant buffoon you are. Nobody is "searching deep for the exception to the rule", you dolt. Nico Marley was a Cane legacy, and his father pretty much defined the concept of "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog".

Hmmm, let's see...we signed Ray Lewis's undersized kid. We signed Jeff James because of his last name. If a UM legacy doesn't pan out, he is always free to move on, as those two did.

Whether Nico makes an NFL roster or not, it still doesn't change my opinion on why we should have signed him. The kid has a Cane heart, and he plays with fantastic fundamentals. He was ultra-productive in college, and he would have been a better LB at UM than most of the guys we actually signed.

Stop being a vindictive little *****, Juannabe, and get over the fact that I destroyed you a few months ago. Grow up and learn some humility.

Advertisement
Hindsight is 20/20.

There's no way Golden would've offered a 5'7" Linebacker anyways. And I'm sure if he had this board likely would've lost their minds.

Just cause he excelled at Tulane doesn't mean he was an ACC caliber Linebacker. He's only getting a look from Washington. If he does end up making the roster it would be somewhat of an anomaly.

I rag on Golden for his poor evaluations all the time but I wouldn't blame him for this one.

Hindsight is 20/20.

There's no way Golden would've offered a 5'7" Linebacker anyways. And I'm sure if he had this board likely would've lost their minds.

Just cause he excelled at Tulane doesn't mean he was an ACC caliber Linebacker. He's only getting a look from Washington. If he does end up making the roster it would be somewhat of an anomaly.

I rag on Golden for his poor evaluations all the time but I wouldn't blame him for this one.

It's not just a look. It's not a tryout. And even if it was, he is performing well in camp, and performance is the only measure that matters. If he keeps performing, Washington will not cut him.

And there have been PLENTY of people who criticized Golden for being too particular with height-and-weight metrics about recruits who got offers. There are always debates about whether Ray Lewis III or Jeff James deserved offers, but nobody "lost their minds".

Finally, people can slag Tulane all they want, sure the "competition level" isn't the same, but people tend to forget that talent levels are inconsistent too, and when a guy on a lesser team still plays at a high level, it means something. The fact that Nico had great production at Tulane when he was clearly the best player on defense, and thus was often game-planned for and/or double-teamed, is something that often translates even at the NFL level. Plenty of great NFL players came from non-Power-Five programs.

Quality is quality.

Trust me, with his size IF Golden would've signed him "I guarantee" he wouldn't be in an NFL camp!! This kid should feel bless, for not receiving an offer from "The Bum that ruined Miami".. Just imagine a guy trying to play LB at 5'8" 240 lbs, the best thing happened to this kid and that's him playing at Tulane and not Miami..

Hindsight is 20/20.

It's not just a look. It's not a tryout. And even if it was, he is performing well in camp, and performance is the only measure that matters. If he keeps performing, Washington will not cut him.

And there have been PLENTY of people who criticized Golden for being too particular with height-and-weight metrics about recruits who got offers. There are always debates about whether Ray Lewis III or Jeff James deserved offers, but nobody "lost their minds".

Finally, people can slag Tulane all they want, sure the "competition level" isn't the same, but people tend to forget that talent levels are inconsistent too, and when a guy on a lesser team still plays at a high level, it means something. The fact that Nico had great production at Tulane when he was clearly the best player on defense, and thus was often game-planned for and/or double-teamed, is something that often translates even at the NFL level. Plenty of great NFL players came from non-Power-Five programs.

Quality is quality.

LOL. How do you know he was game-planned for and double-teamed? You have game film?
C'mon dude. Don't just make-up asinine stuff to try and prove a point.

Like I said, a 5'7" Linebacker who happened to do well at Tulane University and earn a look from the Washington Redskins is an anomaly, not a miss-evaluation. There's a hundred other D1 colleges that didn't think he was worthy of an offer as well.

Advertisement
Hindsight is 20/20.

Quality is quality.

LOL. How do you know he was game-planned for and double-teamed? You have game film?

Like I said, a 5'7" Linebacker who happened to do well at Tulane University and earn a look from the Washington Redskins is an anomaly, not a miss-evaluation. There's a hundred other D1 colleges that didn't think he was worthy of an offer as well.

You're saying he wouldn't have contributed during that time frame? Look at out linebackers during that time and tell me he wouldn't have seen the field. He would have played.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Quality is quality.

You're saying he wouldn't have contributed during that time frame? Look at out linebackers during that time and tell me he wouldn't have seen the field. He would have played.

Over who? Perryman? Grace? Kirby? McCord?

Who cares if he would've played? There's a lot of guys that we didn't recruit who could've played here during that time frame. I seldom see you guys commenting on them. Matter of fact, yall talking about Marley but the Redskins have another local kid (rookie) that was a far bigger miss-evaluation than Marley. Kid would've been our starting CB for 3 years had we recruited him.

We can look all around the country and find local kids that could've "contributed" here.

Last edited:
He would have been in the rotation and played.

Yes, there's a lot of guys who could have played, but none of them are legacies with the last name of Marley, and before you tell me that doesn't matter, it matters some, maybe not as a primary factor but as point of consideration.

Perryman is an NFL stud, and maybe Grace is an NFL player.

Let's see how Marley does in the league compared to the others.

Advertisement
I doubt he makes the team. you're reaching for the kid being UM caliber. and I LOVED Rohan when he was here, but lets not overstate how good he was. he was quick, tough and fearless, but, not that great of a lb. he was ok/good.

Yes, there's a lot of guys who could have played, but none of them are legacies with the last name of Marley, and before you tell me that doesn't matter, it matters some, maybe not as a primary factor but as point of consideration.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. I don't really disagree, but where do we draw the line on offering kids just because they're legacies? I don't expect any HC of ours to offer a 5'7" Linebacker just cause he's a legacy, just like I don't think we should've been obligated to offer Ray Lewis or Jeff James. Just so happens that this particular 5'7" legacy turned out to be a decent lil' D1 player, but more often than not, we're not extending offers to kids like him. (especially if we're recruiting at a high level, which I think we are now)

Golden didn't offer (legacy) James Burgess cause he was "too small" so we know **** well he wouldn't consider Nico.

ray lewis III was a db, not a lb. and Jeff James had the requisite size. and taking a shot at ray lewis III for having ray Lewis around is different than having Rohan Marley around.

Y

Yeah I hear what you're saying. I don't really disagree, but where do we draw the line on offering kids just because they're legacies? I don't expect any HC of ours to offer a 5'7" Linebacker just cause he's a legacy, just like I don't think we should've been obligated to offer Ray Lewis or Jeff James. Just so happens that this particular 5'7" legacy turned out to be a decent lil' D1 player, but more often than not, we're not extending offers to kids like him. (especially if we're recruiting at a high level, which I think we are now)

Golden didn't offer (legacy) James Burgess cause he was "too small" so we know **** well he wouldn't consider Nico.

Normally you wouldn't offer someone like him, other than for the reasons I mentioned, because in retrospect he turned out to be a good little player.

Just bringing up Folden and Burgess as well as his almost fetish-like obsession with size makes me nauseous. Every coach/program has ideals about size, but they all make the occasional exception for extraordinary talent. The Jersey fūcks were so obsessed with their Big12 big-slow-coachable guy ideals, that they were blind to other factors.

Advertisement
Back