OT: Nico Marley doing well in camp with Washington

He would have been in the rotation and played.

Yes, there's a lot of guys who could have played, but none of them are legacies with the last name of Marley, and before you tell me that doesn't matter, it matters some, maybe not as a primary factor but as point of consideration.

Perryman is an NFL stud, and maybe Grace is an NFL player.
Y
Let's see how Marley does in the league compared to the others.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. I don't really disagree, but where do we draw the line on offering kids just because they're legacies? I don't expect any HC of ours to offer a 5'7" Linebacker just cause he's a legacy, just like I don't think we should've been obligated to offer Ray Lewis or Jeff James. Just so happens that this particular 5'7" legacy turned out to be a decent lil' D1 player, but more often than not, we're not extending offers to kids like him. (especially if we're recruiting at a high level, which I think we are now)

Golden didn't offer (legacy) James Burgess cause he was "too small" so we know **** well he wouldn't consider Nico.

Normally you wouldn't offer someone like him, other than for the reasons I mentioned, because in retrospect he turned out to be a good little player.

Just bringing up Folden and Burgess as well as his almost fetish-like obsession with size makes me nauseous. Every coach/program has ideals about size, but they all make the occasional exception for extraordinary talent. The Jersey fūcks were so obsessed with their Big12 big-slow-coachable guy ideals, that they were blind to other factors.

I will admit, if they were willing to make any exceptions on size then Nico would be a good candidate. Kid was a great player in high school. By far Cypress Bay's best defensive player during their dominant run.

Advertisement
Watching Nico for the last 4 years was like watching Rohan

[video=youtube;y5LTHQ3jK6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5LTHQ3jK6k[/video]

Hindsight is 20/20.

There's no way Golden would've offered a 5'7" Linebacker anyways. And I'm sure if he had this board likely would've lost their minds.

Just cause he excelled at Tulane doesn't mean he was an ACC caliber Linebacker. He's only getting a look from Washington. If he does end up making the roster it would be somewhat of an anomaly.

I rag on Golden for his poor evaluations all the time but I wouldn't blame him for this one.

It's not just a look. It's not a tryout. And even if it was, he is performing well in camp, and performance is the only measure that matters. If he keeps performing, Washington will not cut him.

And there have been PLENTY of people who criticized Golden for being too particular with height-and-weight metrics about recruits who got offers. There are always debates about whether Ray Lewis III or Jeff James deserved offers, but nobody "lost their minds".

Finally, people can slag Tulane all they want, sure the "competition level" isn't the same, but people tend to forget that talent levels are inconsistent too, and when a guy on a lesser team still plays at a high level, it means something. The fact that Nico had great production at Tulane when he was clearly the best player on defense, and thus was often game-planned for and/or double-teamed, is something that often translates even at the NFL level. Plenty of great NFL players came from non-Power-Five programs.

Quality is quality.

LOL. How do you know he was game-planned for and double-teamed? You have game film?
C'mon dude. Don't just make-up asinine stuff to try and prove a point.

Like I said, a 5'7" Linebacker who happened to do well at Tulane University and earn a look from the Washington Redskins is an anomaly, not a miss-evaluation. There's a hundred other D1 colleges that didn't think he was worthy of an offer as well.

Yeah, you're right, opposing teams NEVER prepare a game-plan to neutralize the top tackler on the defense they're trying to score on. Yep, they just line up the starting 11 offensive players and hope for the best, like Randy Shannon.

Well, at least I see you're flipping your opinion now.

Again, my desire to have had Nico play at UM is not based on the concept that Golden "missed" on an evaluation, or that Nico would have been a 4-year starter. It is based on the fact that his father represented the underdog mentality that many of the greatest Canes had, and I feel like that spirit is worth TAKING A CHANCE ON. not every risk pays off, and as I pointed out, UM never stood in the way of Ray Lewis III or Jeff James leaving.

But good lord, if you can take a chance on some of the 2 and 3 star kids that Golden signed, then you can certainly take a chance on a UM legacy BEFORE another kid who is an unknown quantity.

What people have a problem with is when coaches use arbitrary metrics AND WON'T EVEN RECRUIT A KID. That does not mean that every undersized kid will become the next Tyrann Mathieu, I only used him as an example to PROVE that, at his height, IT IS POSSIBLE to excel in college AND the NFL level.

Tyrann Mathieu is just evidence that metrics, while helpful, are not a barrier to success, if the player works hard enough and develops.

Seriously, man, it's like some people on this board cannot grasp simple argumentative logic and sentence structure.

I never guaranteed that Nico Marley would succeed at UM, or at Washington, I merely stated that I wished Golden would have recruited and signed him.

Nico's subsequent success is just him showing off his heart and talent, which would have been great attributes to bring to UM, even if Golden and D'Onofrio were going to coach us to .500 anyhow.

Nico had 40 tackles, 2.5 TFL, and a fumble recovery in 2 games against Duke. He had 17 tackles with 2 TFL and a fumble recovery in 2 games vs Georgia Tech. He had 5 tackles and 1.5 TFL against Wake Forest. He had 23 tackles, 5 TFL, 1 INT, 1 PBU in 3 games vs. Houston (2 of those were Tom Herman's Houston). He had 20 tackles, 3 TFL and 3 sacks in 2 games against Navy.

He would have been fine playing for Miami. He wouldn't have started, but he could and would have played. I mean, Fentress played.

You don't sign guys to "play", you sign them to perform at a high level.

You're saying he wouldn't have started. If that's the case then he would've been a career back-up and we'd be considering him a JAG or maybe a special teams dynamo. (then he likely never gets a look from the NFL)

Him going to a place like Tulane was a perfect fit.
Saying that he wouldn't have started here just shows that he's not Miami caliber. (and our LB talent wasn't even that good while Golden was here)

Yes, he's got the heart of a lion. Yes, he was a fantastic high school player. Yes, he turned out to be a good college player. But wanting him here just cause he's a legacy, knowing that he wouldn't have played a major role, is selfish and isn't in the best interest of the kid.

He went exactly where he belonged.

Advertisement
Hindsight is 20/20.

There's no way Golden would've offered a 5'7" Linebacker anyways. And I'm sure if he had this board likely would've lost their minds.

Just cause he excelled at Tulane doesn't mean he was an ACC caliber Linebacker. He's only getting a look from Washington. If he does end up making the roster it would be somewhat of an anomaly.

I rag on Golden for his poor evaluations all the time but I wouldn't blame him for this one.

It's not just a look. It's not a tryout. And even if it was, he is performing well in camp, and performance is the only measure that matters. If he keeps performing, Washington will not cut him.

And there have been PLENTY of people who criticized Golden for being too particular with height-and-weight metrics about recruits who got offers. There are always debates about whether Ray Lewis III or Jeff James deserved offers, but nobody "lost their minds".

Finally, people can slag Tulane all they want, sure the "competition level" isn't the same, but people tend to forget that talent levels are inconsistent too, and when a guy on a lesser team still plays at a high level, it means something. The fact that Nico had great production at Tulane when he was clearly the best player on defense, and thus was often game-planned for and/or double-teamed, is something that often translates even at the NFL level. Plenty of great NFL players came from non-Power-Five programs.

Quality is quality.
coach macho always hated Nico for some reason. I remember when I wanted Nico on the team, Macho wanted Witt and some other scrub b/c he had size.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Quality is quality.
coach macho always hated Nico for some reason. I remember when I wanted Nico on the team, Macho wanted Witt and some other scrub b/c he had size.

That's not even remotely true, d!ckhead. I actually loved that kid as a player. He was Cypress Bay's best defensive player by far. I've always thought that.
All I said was that he doesn't belong at UM.

You don't sign guys to "play", you sign them to perform at a high level.

You're saying he wouldn't have started. If that's the case then he would've been a career back-up and we'd be considering him a JAG or maybe a special teams dynamo. (then he likely never gets a look from the NFL)

Him going to a place like Tulane was a perfect fit.
Saying that he wouldn't have started here just shows that he's not Miami caliber. (and our LB talent wasn't even that good while Golden was here)

Yes, he's got the heart of a lion. Yes, he was a fantastic high school player. Yes, he turned out to be a good college player. But wanting him here just cause he's a legacy, knowing that he wouldn't have played a major role, is selfish and isn't in the best interest of the kid.

He went exactly where he belonged.

I'm saying he wouldn't have started based on who we had starting at LB when we played at Tulane. We should have offered him based on who we had on the roster at LB when he played at Tulane. It's that ******* simple.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Quality is quality.

That's not even remotely true, d!ckhead. I actually loved that kid as a player. He was Cypress Bay's best defensive player by far. I've always thought that.

You know what... We were probably both right... I just found the thread from 5 years ago... I think the kid you were talking about actually did get drafted

Anthony Walker - Pace High School

[video=youtube;Z5GI-dS-iMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5GI-dS-iMc[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hindsight is 20/20.

Quality is quality.

Nico Marley belonged at UM.

He may not have been a starter at UM on Day 1, but he belonged at UM.

20664420_10155554578527866_7931517194759380301_n.jpg

Advertisement
Anyone who says we should of signed or even offer Nico is on a bunch of BS. 10% of y'all would be like "Well, he is a Canes Legacy so I'm okay with this" and 90% of y'all would be like "I know he a Canes legacy and a Marley, but Nico is a ****ing 5'8 LB he doesn't belong at Miami period" then it would turn into a constant bashing of Al Golden because he signed a 5'8 LB that only had an offer from Tulane a la Evans Sheriffs. Hindsight is 20/20. Shouldn't y'all just be happy on the fact Coach D'onofrio didn't get his hands on him? He wouldn't even have a chance right now at the NFL had be played under Coach D'onofrio's soft and soggy potato defense. I hope the dude continues to ball.

Anyone who says we should of signed or even offer Nico is on a bunch of BS. 10% of y'all would be like "Well, he is a Canes Legacy so I'm okay with this" and 90% of y'all would be like "I know he a Canes legacy and a Marley, but Nico is a ****ing 5'8 LB he doesn't belong at Miami period" then it would turn into a constant bashing of Al Golden because he signed a 5'8 LB that only had an offer from Tulane a la Evans Sheriffs. Hindsight is 20/20. Shouldn't y'all just be happy on the fact Coach D'onofrio didn't get his hands on him? He wouldn't even have a chance right now at the NFL had be played under Coach D'onofrio's soft and soggy potato defense. I hope the dude continues to ball.

Are we debating whether Golden should have offered him, or if he should / could have played at Miami....period? Because he did play under real defensive coaches at Tulane, and Tulane's defense was usually ranked high.

Are we debating whether Golden should have offered him, or if he should / could have played at Miami....period? Because he did play under real defensive coaches at Tulane, and Tulane's defense was usually ranked high.

Strong arguments can be made for both.

Chosen One has summarized the reasons not to offer as "height" and "offer list". Using restrictive metrics as a reason not to recruit a kid was one thing that we criticized Golden for doing. And as for offer list, we still signed Ray Lewis III and Jeff James with even worse offer lists. Wait, remind me of that one guy that we signed, whose best offer was Tulane? I think his name was Ed something, he played safety...

And I do think Nico could have played at Miami. There are guys doing well in the NFL right now who weren't permanently broken by D'Onofrio's poor coaching, such as Chickillo. Look, Nico is an undrafted free agent out of Tulane, and he easily could have been an undrafted free agent out of Miami.

As for Evan Shirreffs...he might actually be our starter this year.

Advertisement

Chosen One has summarized the reasons not to offer as "height" and "offer list". Using restrictive metrics as a reason not to recruit a kid was one thing that we criticized Golden for doing. And as for offer list, we still signed Ray Lewis III and Jeff James with even worse offer lists. Wait, remind me of that one guy that we signed, whose best offer was Tulane? I think his name was Ed something, he played safety...

And I do think Nico could have played at Miami. There are guys doing well in the NFL right now who weren't permanently broken by D'Onofrio's poor coaching, such as Chickillo. Look, Nico is an undrafted free agent out of Tulane, and he easily could have been an undrafted free agent out of Miami.

Dammit mane... Please keep posting b/c you know how to break **** down

Nico looks a lot like his dad who was one of my favorite Canes ever.
[video=youtube_share;ILuL3c4G5jA]https://youtu.be/ILuL3c4G5jA[/video]

FWIW, I think Golden, or whoever the coach at Miami was, should have offered him. Regardless of size, kid can play. He didn't get swallowed up when he played against ACC teams at Tulane, so he would have been fine at Miami.

Advertisement
Back