OT: NFL Salaries

Of any athlete, Jordan was worth it. I remember that he was also miffed that he had been locked down to a long-term contract and had been relatively underpaid compared the giant deals that started to proliferate in 1991 onwards. He sought to make up for it, and to take full advantage of the Bird exception. Ultimately the 1997 and 1998 deals are what likely ended the Bulls dynasty....I doubt Chicago could afford to keep paying Michael that (and bump Pippen up).

That contract was equivalent to $54,814,143 in 2019 dollars.

And that's still undervalued. lol. As much revenue he brought to the Bulls is unimaginable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
**** I never knew the agents killed it like that. So the experienced agents working those 200m-300m baseball contracts are clearing a few mil?

That’s nice. I will say I noticed on the website that Mike Conleys (Jazz) dad is his agent. He just got a nice deal too.

Gotta be nice to essentially “employ” your pops

Advertisement
**** I never knew the agents killed it like that. So the experienced agents working those 200m-300m baseball contracts are clearing a few mil?

That’s nice. I will say I noticed on the website that Mike Conleys (Jazz) dad is his agent. He just got a nice deal too.

Gotta be nice to essentially “employ” your pops
Scott Boras is probably worth more than most owners by now...

Nice. Career choice. I wish you longevity and success. I cherish the hustle. Always be a producer not a consumer...
It’s a tough business but I’m very passionate about it. Have to weather the storm the first few years but I’m sticking with it

Advertisement
Yep...Larry Johnson signed a 12 year, 84 million dollar contract in 1993, and there were rumblings that Glenn Robinson was seeking an unprecedented $100M deal in 1994 (to which the owner responded, "I might as well just give him the franchise"). Pippen and Jordan were both underpaid.

Digressing a bit but way back when the Bulls and other NBA visiting teams would stay at The Mayfair in the Grove. Across the street was Cocowalk and one of the bars / restaurants was Tu Tu Tango. Actually met Steve Kerr there one night; nice guy, very pleasant.

A couple of the waitresses / bartenders told me they didn’t like serving Pippen because he never left a tip.

So, even if he was underpaid he was apparently a good saver (this is the diplomatic version, versus other not as diplomatic characterizations I’ve heard).

Geezz I remember when Kirby Puckett signed for 3M a year in '87 and people lost their minds that a pro athlete would earn that much in a year.....
It’s insane how it’s increased in our lifetime. Also, loved kirby. That catch versus braves was amazing

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back