OT: NFL Salaries

motorcitycane

Senior
Do any of you know how accurate the website www.spotrac.com is?

My boy was telling me Frank Clark was going to make more in 9 years than Ray Lewis did in 17years.

I found that hard to believe until I went on the page to see it. Did NFL salaries go up?

Also if this website is accurate basketball salaries are ******* crazy for average to below average players. (We already know what time it is with baseball)

Advertisement
Yup - salaries just keep increasing. Matt Ryan will have earned as much as Peyton Manning by the end of this year

Advertisement
I represented several Fins doing the 70's. You would be surprised at the names that I use to pick up the checks for at dinner because I made so much more than them. Hey, they made big money compared to average working guys but today's players have one or two more comma's on their salaries than the guy who went undefeated. When Zonk, Warfield and Kiick jumped leagues it was the first time any have a second coma on contract. TV money and free agency, not talent is the difference.

On the coaching money, to show how great Shula and Lombardy were, Don got like 15% ownership in Fins to pry him out of Baltimore and Vince got about 10% of Skins to get him out of retirement. Just in case you think modern coaches are something special.

Last edited:

My boy was telling me Frank Clark was going to make more in 9 years than Ray Lewis did in 17years.

I found that hard to believe until I went on the page to see it. Did NFL salaries go up?

Also if this website is accurate basketball salaries are ******* crazy for average to below average players. (We already know what time it is with baseball)
Supposedly the new agreement with the extra game (or is it two), and the additional revenue sharing will be massive going forward. Supposedly it is expected that in the next 5 years or so the salary cap will double. Meaning that there will be a time when some of these QBs are making around $50M a season. And this will trickle to all the other players as well. The minimum first year salaries should jump to about $4-500K. About time this sport gets paid more (outside of QBs) in comparison to other sports where they aren't as injured and where contracts aren't guaranteed.

I represented several Fins doing the 70's. You would be surprised at the names that I use to pick up the checks for at dinner because I made so much more than them. Hey, they made big money compared to average working guys but today's players have one or two more comma's on their salaries than the guy who went undefeated. When Zonk, Warfield and Kiick jumped leagues it was the first time any have a second coma on contract. TV money and free agency, not talent is the difference.

On the coaching money, to show how great Shula and Lombardy were, Don got like 15% ownership in Fins to pry him out of Baltimore and Vince got about 10% of Shins to get him out of retirement. Just in case you think modern coaches are something special.
You were an agent or represented them in another capacity?

Yup - salaries just keep increasing. Matt Ryan will have earned as much as Peyton Manning by the end of this year
Maybe football salary wise but he's way behind as far as what Peyton has pulled in endorsement wise....

Advertisement
Supposedly the new agreement with the extra game (or is it two), and the additional revenue sharing will be massive going forward. Supposedly it is expected that in the next 5 years or so the salary cap will double. Meaning that there will be a time when some of these QBs are making around $50M a season. And this will trickle to all the other players as well. The minimum first year salaries should jump to about $4-500K. About time this sport gets paid more (outside of QBs) in comparison to other sports where they aren't as injured and where contracts aren't guaranteed.
Minimum for the 2020 season will be 610k, by 2029 the min will be slightly over 1mil

Geezz I remember when Kirby Puckett signed for 3M a year in '87 and people lost their minds that a pro athlete would earn that much in a year.....

You were an agent or represented them in another capacity?
Not agent. Couple guys did have me look over contracts before they signed and give some advise along the way. I was big fan back then and never put the screws to them fee wise and handled lots of outside stuff. I did had little bit of a relationship with Joe and frequently attended Morning Mass with Don. Once in a while I could play honest broker to lower heat some when problems arose, but only small stuff.

Truth is that back then, agents made less than I did so I had no interest in the baby sitting part of it. It was not the age of multi-tens of million dollars contracts so the cut did end up like today's mega money.

Advertisement
My fondest memory of a mega contract was MJ’s 1 yr 36 million deal, and Albert Belle making $11/yr. These are bargains now. Lol
Of any athlete, Jordan was worth it. I remember that he was also miffed that he had been locked down to a long-term contract and had been relatively underpaid compared the giant deals that started to proliferate in 1991 onwards. He sought to make up for it, and to take full advantage of the Bird exception. Ultimately the 1997 and 1998 deals are what likely ended the Bulls dynasty....I doubt Chicago could afford to keep paying Michael that (and bump Pippen up).

That contract was equivalent to $54,814,143 in 2019 dollars.

Advertisement
If you watched “The Last Dance”, it talked about the explosion in NBA salaries around ‘92 is why Pippen’s 7-year, $18M deal became so atrocious by ‘97.
Yep...Larry Johnson signed a 12 year, 84 million dollar contract in 1993, and there were rumblings that Glenn Robinson was seeking an unprecedented $100M deal in 1994 (to which the owner responded, "I might as well just give him the franchise"). Pippen and Jordan were both underpaid.

The rest of the country, yes. Detroit maybe not.

Advertisement
Back