OT: NFL Roughing the Passer

John77

Junior
I'm speechless watching this get called in some of these games...

Look at this hit by Matthews - how the **** is that roughing the passer. Give me a break.

Advertisement
It's retarded, but there is definitely a rule where you can't land on the QB while tackling him. You kind of have to do the "seahawk tackling technique" with QBs now.

Advertisement
Just one reason of many why college football is better than the NFL.

Although I think targeting is absurd and ought to be done away with.

I can see a rule where you can’t lift the player and drive him into the ground with your full weight. Would be hard to do.

What we see should be a clean tackle/sack, and is retaliation against Clay Matthews for criticism.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's pretty close to below the knee which is also a penalty.

They are taught to attack the hips though, so it's not following through with technique if you're that low. Diaz actually has our guys tackling like that as well (which is why we have so many sacks with 0 penalties for roughing the passer on those sacks, because I'm pretty sure NCAA has the same rule.)

Dolphins scored their first touchdown today directly related to this rule. Failed on 3rd down plus an offensive holding penalty but Raider defensive tackle was called for roughing the passer after landing on Tannehill. Instead of 4th and long and Raiders debating whether to take penalty and drive Miami out of field goal range, it was offsetting penalties. Tannehill threw a great pass to Stills for a touchdown after getting the reprieve.

In the Dolphins game there really wasn't anywhere else for the Raider to fall since it was bunched in traffic with players on either side. Major break for the Dolphins, especially since a similar hit on Carr by William Hayes was not called on the prior series.

Jackass rule. No kidding it will lead to erratic application.

It's retarded, but there is definitely a rule where you can't land on the QB while tackling him. You kind of have to do the "seahawk tackling technique" with QBs now.

This still gives the QB a chance to throw it away and avoid the sack. Clay’s tackle shouldn’t have been a penalty.

Advertisement
What's even worse is in the NFL heads up leauges they teach the exact technique Matthews used. Helemt up, to the chest, wrap, and drive through. So he used a textbook perfect tackle per nfls own kids leauges. SMH what a joke.

Advertisement
“With all or most of his weight.”

Lol How do they even quantify that?

They ask so much out of defenders. 100 things you can’t do. And then, even when you form tackle, you can’t land with “all or most of your weight on the QB.”

Haven’t watched an nfl game since Brady vs Falcons. And that was the only one in the last 6 years.

Advertisement
Back