OT: New College Football Game Possibility

Canes21

Junior
Banned
Okay guys, I know a few of you here probably wasted half of your summers killing time in dynasty mode in the old NCAA games. It sucked to see them go away even if EA Tiburon was terrible at executing half of their ideas well in their games. It's been 3 years since a college game has been released and I still get the itch every year to play one. I personally still play 06 on a PS2 emulator on my PC, but am dying for a next generation experience. Finally, it seems we have a chance to get that.

A company will be doing a Kickstarter in under two weeks to raise some money to get started on a college football game. They are using Kickstarter to get some of the funding in already, but to also show their investors that people do want the game. If you are unfamiliar with Kickstarter then I will let you know that any money you donate is not taken from your account until the game reaches its funding goal. If the game fails to reach the goal, you keep your money, no fees, nothing.

I'll be honest, I don't know what these guys will be able to accomplish. Their goal is to raise either $800k or $900k which isn't a crazy amount for a game that strives to be AAA quality, but could still be difficult to raise in this format. I will probably be donating, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit skeptical about how well of a game they will be producing. I do like that their plan is for a 2019 release as that gives them a good amount of time to really nail down some solid gameplay. They do plan on acquiring all the licensing from the NCAA and schools/conferences. They've already been in contact with the license holders and know that they can acquire these licenses if they get the proper funding.

Anyways, I don't feel like typing anymore. I just wanted to spread the word incase a few of you were like me and dying for a next gen NCAAF experience. You can follow them here.

Advertisement
Until then I'll be playing this.

Bill_Walsh_College_Football_Coverart.jpg

Advertisement
I too miss the NCAA games, and I think a final resolution in the O'Bannon case will allow someone to pursue an NCAA license in the near future. They are just leaving too much money on the table to not develop something. But developing a modern game cost between $20-$50M.

IMHO the only way to do this the right way is to give the players a licensing fee for using their likeness, which of course would take a major re-writing of NCAA rules, but if a developer paid money into a trust fund to all eligible athletes it could help in compensating the players for an ancillary business which wouldn't technically be paying them to play football, it would be paying them for the limited use of their likeness in an NCAA approved way. College athletes can get paid to win Olympic Gold in their sports and still be considered "Amateur" by the NCAA. I think video games are the bridge to further and properly compensating NCAA D1 football players, and probably the only way to cut out the fabled SEC Bagmen. But that would take innovation and foresight from the NCAA so I guess I dreaming...

By the third year in your dynasty, 90% of your team is made up players anyway. Just randomize the players so they don't have likeness with current players and let's go.

There's no need to give the players anything. Just make the players random. Honestly, that's all EA had to do was randomize the players, numbers, skin colo, etc. I've actually recently got back into some online dynasties for the last NCAA game.

Advertisement
EA exec confident NCAA Football series will make a comeback | FOX Sports

By Pete Blackburn

With college football season about to get fully underway, it's another year without the now-defunct NCAA Football video game franchise from EA Sports. The beloved series was abruptly discontinued in 2013 but there may be light at the end of the tunnel for fans in mourning.

EA Chief Competition Officer Peter Moore recently spoke to IGN and briefly discussed a potential revival of the franchise, which is sorely missed by college football fans and gamers worldwide. Moore seems optimistic about a return, though he doesn't seem to have a specific date or timeline in mind.

“It was a really sad day and we said, ‘We just can't do this anymore,’” Moore told IGN's Ryan McCaffrey. “And one day I know we'll be back.”

The series was discontinued three years ago following the release of NCAA Football 14, mainly due to lawsuits that accused EA and the NCAA of using and benefiting off player likenesses without providing compensation to those players for use of their likeness. The game didn't include the names of student athletes but did copy many of their appearance and equipment traits, including jersey numbers.

Last July, a judge ruled against EA and the NCAA in an anti-trust lawsuit. The settlement forced EA/NCAA to pay out $60 million, with more than 29,000 players who filed claims receiving an average of $1,200.

If the series indeed does make a comeback, it will obviously have to bring some significant changes to avoid further legal issues.

I stopped playing video games when I became a man.

[MENTION=323]whoopingcane[/MENTION]

Advertisement
Back