OT: Neil Peart, RIP

Love NP’s work and he’s one of the best. Certainly wouldn’t argue with anyone who says so. Heard technician bandied about and the description fits him well. Music is so subjective and I just feel like rock should be about reckless abandon. That’s why I’m a Moon guy. He broke so many musical rules, lived his life like he beat the drums....fast and hard! Live at Leeds is probably my favorite album ever and even though this is a cover it shows him at his raging best. PS long live the Ox also!

Advertisement
IMO, greatest ever! Been listening to Rush since hearing about the news earlier. Saw him not too long ago (several years) and he shredded two kits at once and I was in complete awe. RIP!

Advertisement
Sad day for anyone that grew up listening to Rush. One of the best to ever bang the skins.
Indeed it is my friend. Indeed it is. Rush literally changed the way I viewed rock music and I was a fan from the first time I heard "Spirit of Radio". Peart was a legendary drummer and as a lyricist he was unrivalled. It was because of Rush that I began to play the guitar. I would spend hours upon hours in my room learning to play songs like The Trees, Broons Bane, Freewill, Limelight and the entire 2112 and Hemispheres albums. A very sad day indeed. RIP Neil Peart.

I was lucky enough to work the stage when they did the Snakes and Arrows tour, in Columbus. I helped tear down the massive platform he had his drums on. Pretty awesome. All the hardware mounted into the the riser (which was a two piece rig that was so heavy, each half needed to be moved on a cart). I was breaking it down and felt something slide into my back pocket. When I stood up nobody was there. When I checked my pocket there was one of Neil's drumsticks. Can't say it was him that put it there, for sure.- but I sure like to believe so. I grew up trying to learn those Geddy Lee basslines and it was always more about understanding what the professor was doing.

RIP

Man, Chris Cornell and now Neil Peart? That knocks out my top two bands and the reasons I love them so much.
Not my favorite Rush song, but this is what I have right now.

Advertisement
Peart was probably technically better than Ward... but Ward plays exactly how I want drums to sound. Then again the 1st album I ever owned was Black Sabbath Black Sabbath and I bought a bass and learned every bassline, then a guitar and learned every riff and most solos.

RIP to an absolute legend.
I agree, technically he's the best but Bard was a barbaric viking on the drums, God of thunder lol
Dan Carey(Tool) is another beast, technically sound as well

I agree, technically he's the best but Bard was a barbaric viking on the drums, God of thunder lol
Vinnie Paul & Raymond Herrera were/are both technically gifted also. I think I agree with the poster though about Bonham. Bonham is the greatest like Hendrix is the greatest guitarist. There are better guitarists than Hendrix, but Hendrix really invented the Rock & Roll guitar virtuoso role, same goes for Bonham. Ward my favorite, Bonham the greatest, Pert the best.

Since this thread is going very Rock & Roll heavy... anyone else play guitar or drums? I play a Fender Performer Stratocaster, Honeyburst
1578726143376845230753680855565.jpg

I was lucky enough to work the stage when they did the Snakes and Arrows tour, in Columbus. I helped tear down the massive platform he had his drums on. Pretty awesome. All the hardware mounted into the the riser (which was a two piece rig that was so heavy, each half needed to be moved on a cart). I was breaking it down and felt something slide into my back pocket. When I stood up nobody was there. When I checked my pocket there was one of Neil's drumsticks. Can't say it was him that put it there, for sure.- but I sure like to believe so. I grew up trying to learn those Geddy Lee basslines and it was always more about understanding what the professor was doing.

RIP
Your post made me cry...a beautiful and poignant story. I will always believe it was Neil who put that drumstick in your pocket.

Advertisement
Danny Carey is amazing and I have to throw out another name Bran Dailor of Mastodon. For anyone on here who likes rock drummers the 2 above names I mentiomed will blow you away.

Since this thread is going very Rock & Roll heavy... anyone else play guitar or drums? I play a Fender Performer Stratocaster, HoneyburstView attachment 108132
That's a beautiful guitar brother. I play as well. I hate to admit it but I haven't played in a couple of years. I'm ready and excited about playing again but I'm in the market for a new guitar. I'm a lefty so that makes it a little more difficult to find something off the rack so to speak. I would like to get a Fender Stratocaster, a Telecaster, a Gibson Led Paul, a Gibson Explorer and would also love an ESP. I'm certainly not going to buy all of those at once but choosing what to get first will be tough lol. Since I'm going to be getting back into it I also need to buy a nice amp and some basic effects.

Does anyone have any recommendations on amps, pickups and/or effects boxes? Right now I'm thinking Seymour Duncan for pickups. I like to play stuff like Rush, Tool, Ozzy, Megadeth and Mastodon so I'm looking for a deep rich and crunchy sound heavy in midrange.

Advertisement
CaneinOrlando saw the 2112 tour of 1977 and saw them again in 81....Without question the Greatest Drummer ever....Drum Solo on Exit Stage Left is Legendary....
3 pages to get to 2112, Tex saw it too, we old bro, maybe the loudest concert i've ever heard and i've been to 100 or so. Good thing about living close to Houston, you get to see everybody. They toured the entire 2112 album several years ago, Geddy's sack had dropped a little since the first one lol

The last time I saw Rush was about 12 years ago in Charlotte. Peart had a round, raised platform and the tools of his trade surrounded him in a circle. When he did his solo about half way through the concert, he started on the front set. After about 6 minutes on the front set, the platform rotated, he jumped from one seat to the other, and continued on the set on the rear side for about another 6 minutes. I was totally awestruck.

3 pages to get to 2112, Tex saw it too, we old bro, maybe the loudest concert i've ever heard and i've been to 100 or so. Good thing about living close to Houston, you get to see everybody. They toured the entire 2112 album several years ago, Geddy's sack had dropped a little since the first one lol
@Texxcane .....CaneinOrlando kept these 3 for many yrs....The Skynyrd concert was their 3rd from last....The Pink Floyd concert was basically Animals...and of course a mix of Dark Side...all from 1977...my Jr yr in HS....
11212631_10206817665748222_2122684896131930578_o.jpg

Advertisement
Back