OT: Neil Peart, RIP

Sunrise Musical Theater was a great place for shows... Saw Stevie Ray Vaughn there twice as well as many other shows.... Even saw Twisted Sister there when they had their moment and have to say they were pretty good live, plus they got banned cause the crowd lost it and was ripping up seats and what not...
I saw Twisted Sister open for Iron Maiden at the Sportatorium a month after Kiss.

Advertisement
Should be some great stories - from one great remembering another

Screenshot_20200111-204543_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200111-204543_Facebook.jpg

I saw Twisted Sister open for Iron Maiden at the Sportatorium a month after Kiss.
I was at that show... Feb. 15th 1985... World Slavery Tour... That was freaking awesome.... And if you remember Dee Snider went after someone in the audience... Something about the guy was giving Dee a bird and Dee stopped the show and jumped off the stage.... That woulda been embarrassing as **** for that dude to explain getting his *** kicked by Dee while he was dressed like that... LOL..

I met Dee Snider a few times at a place called John Harvards Brew house on Long Island about 15 years ago. Cool dude. Always showed up riding his motorcycles.

It was hard to envision the guy wearing all that crap he did for Twisted Sister.

I met Dee Snider a few times at a place called John Harvards Brew house on Long Island about 15 years ago. Cool dude. Always showed up riding his motorcycles.

It was hard to envision the guy wearing all that crap he did for Twisted Sister.
I met Dee as well...we are both from the same area in Long Island...Super Cool Guy....

Advertisement
I met Dee as well...we are both from the same area in Long Island...Super Cool Guy....
Here's a local story for you then. My first job in High School was working at the Burger King on 347 in Smithtown. I think it's a Dunkin now.

One night an unassuming blue Tahoe pulls through the drive thru. It happens to be Mankind of wrestling fame. Kid working the window says holy **** you're Mankind...can I get your autograph? He says...naw kid sorry I just really want my Whopper.

Then a month later I'm at the local garden supply place...and there he is again with a wheelbarrow full of mulch and top soil. Kid working the register who was a friend of mine says...yeah Mankind buys dirt from me.

And to stay in the theme of this thread...

I worked in college for a music lessons at home company. So they send me to a house in Kings Park for a saxophone student. Nice house...maybe 1 to 2 million. Nothing to flashy but definitely nice and above avg for the area. A guy with long hair and a dirty Dream Theater shirt open the door. I go in and see a bunch of Dream Theater gold records on the wall. I say...so do you work for Dream Theater? He says...yes I am their guitarist. Holy crap I'm in Petruccis house to teach his kid saxophone...wtf? His wife clarified that he would never wear a dream theater shirt in public and that he only uses them when he does yard work.

Then I go on to find out recently that his new guitar tech has the same exact name as me. You can look it up but it's quite a rare last name so that's even more weird. I guess I now believe in aliens.

I thought I would share cause you love stories about hanging with dudes back in the day lol

Here's a local story for you then. My first job in High School was working at the Burger King on 347 in Smithtown. I think it's a Dunkin now.

One night an unassuming blue Tahoe pulls through the drive thru. It happens to be Mankind of wrestling fame. Kid working the window says holy **** you're Mankind...can I get your autograph? He says...naw kid sorry I just really want my Whopper.

Then a month later I'm at the local garden supply place...and there he is again with a wheelbarrow full of mulch and top soil. Kid working the register who was a friend of mine says...yeah Mankind buys dirt from me.

And to stay in the theme of this thread...

I worked in college for a music lessons at home company. So they send me to a house in Kings Park for a saxophone student. Nice house...maybe 1 to 2 million. Nothing to flashy but definitely nice and above avg for the area. A guy with long hair and a dirty Dream Theater shirt open the door. I go in and see a bunch of Dream Theater gold records on the wall. I say...so do you work for Dream Theater? He says...yes I am their guitarist. Holy crap I'm in Petruccis house to teach his kid saxophone...wtf? His wife clarified that he would never wear a dream theater shirt in public and that he only uses them when he does yard work.

Then I go on to find out recently that his new guitar tech has the same exact name as me. You can look it up but it's quite a rare last name so that's even more weird. I guess I now believe in aliens.

I thought I would share cause you love stories about hanging with dudes back in the day lol
Lol....The stories I have would load up a Silo....From picking up Testeverde and Kosar who were Hitchhiking on US1 in 82 (I was wiih a Buddy who's GF ironically was in the same class as Vinnie)....Too driving around the Gables with SeanTay, and watching him spill an entire Gatorade all over his lap and his Silver Range Rovers interior, while I laughed in Hysterics....

Peart and his ilk from (prog) rock are the reason I have rarely, if ever, listened to “popular” music in over 50 years. I heard Hendrix and Cream and that was pretty much the end of AM style radio music for me. RIP to a master of his craft, a virtuoso.

Advertisement
Music is more than just technical ability. There's something called feel or soul (magic). I agree that Bonham was a great feel drummer that changed the game. When you hear Bonham play, you can tell it's him. Ringo Star was also a great feel drummer. But let's pump the brakes on Hendrix as a gateway guitarist to listen to a better guitarist. Hendrix is the source...The jazz greats of his era were actively seeking to record with Hendrix and were in awe of him. Miles Davis was scheduled for a studio session with Hendrix the day after he died and was devastated. Unlike Bonham who can be replicated, try matching "Machine Gun" live at the Filmore, considered by some music critics to be the greatest solo ever. You cannot replicate the raw power and visceral pain this man conjures up with an electric guitar. Hendrix was also the most gifted rhythm guitarist. Immaculate timing and slinky as ****. Stevie Ray Vaughn came the closest to capturing the pathos that Hendrix could. Hendrix was also a great songwriter ( Little Wing, Angel). Anyways, just trying to shine some light on how Hendrix was viewed from within the music community.

I saw Rush at Miami Arena??? It was somewhere in Miami and they were amazing, and I still remember Neil's amazing drum solo. I'll probably always prefer Keith Moon's frantic drumming style. I just never get tired of that nervous, insane energy that Keith pours through his set. Is he the most technically gifted? **** no, but what a full, immersive sound he created. Early Who is some of the most iconic (and innovative) rock drumming ever.

Anyways, RIP to an amazing musician.

Advertisement
Back