OT: Need a Cruise line recommendation

Wouldn't there be a million kids on a Disney cruise?

I'm sure everything is very nice but does anyone want to be around hundreds of rotten kids who aren't yours?

Advertisement
It all depends what you want. Of the big 3...

Norwegian is the "classiest", but tends to be a slightly older crowd. Also a little more expensive. Their newest ships have a lot to do, and free style cruising is solid. Definitely the best dining options.

Royal is the Goldie Locks. Not the ****show of Carnival, not as snobby as NCL. Solid amenities. Very good dining options.

Carnival is great for one thing and one thing only... single, young a$$ looking to make terrible mistakes. And enough alcohol for those mistakes to happen freely and often. Cheapest, ****tiest food, least amenities, but the youngest, rowdiest crowd of the three.

Now go with God.

Have to agree with No Fly Zone. Norwegian is the classiest. Free Style Dining was on the money. Breakfast and Lunch Buffet was legit, way better then Royal and Carnival. Balcony Suites smaller though but who cares right? Royal is second place in my book, still way better then Carnival. Carnival's ledo deck is like the ghetto deck as described by my african american buddy. No matter who you cruise on make sure you pick one of the newer, bigger boats, so much better then the smaller outdated ships.

Carnival
Royal Caribbean/Norwegian
Celebrity/Holland America

That's the basic hierarchy for Caribbean cruises. The further down the list you go the nicer the ships, food, etc. get. Accordingly, the cost goes up obviously, but the crowds also get older. In your 30s for a first cruise, I would look at Royal, Norwegian and/or Celebrity (if you want a nicer experience). I would skip Carnival (too young) and Holland America (too old).

Advertisement
Don't do a cruise

Hmmm, can't think of another place I've been that sounds like your description of Las Terrenas. If you go back to the DR, I would strongly recommend visiting Bayahibe on the south east coast. Small picturesque fishing village that is a quick boat ride out to a couple pristine (like, literally the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen in my life) islands.

The great that about the Virgin Islands are how many islands there are so close together. St. Johns and Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas are pretty touristy, but if you looked at some of the less popular spots you might find what you are looking for.

Advertisement

Norwegian is the "classiest", but tends to be a slightly older crowd. Also a little more expensive. Their newest ships have a lot to do, and free style cruising is solid. Definitely the best dining options.

Royal is the Goldie Locks. Not the ****show of Carnival, not as snobby as NCL. Solid amenities. Very good dining options.

Carnival is great for one thing and one thing only... single, young a$$ looking to make terrible mistakes. And enough alcohol for those mistakes to happen freely and often. Cheapest, ****tiest food, least amenities, but the youngest, rowdiest crowd of the three.

Now go with God.

Have to agree with No Fly Zone. Norwegian is the classiest. Free Style Dining was on the money. Breakfast and Lunch Buffet was legit, way better then Royal and Carnival. Balcony Suites smaller though but who cares right? Royal is second place in my book, still way better then Carnival. Carnival's ledo deck is like the ghetto deck as described by my african american buddy. No matter who you cruise on make sure you pick one of the newer, bigger boats, so much better then the smaller outdated ships.

What would you consider new bigger boats? Within 5 years? 2Years?

Don't do a cruise

Hmmm, can't think of another place I've been that sounds like your description of Las Terrenas. If you go back to the DR, I would strongly recommend visiting Bayahibe on the south east coast. Small picturesque fishing village that is a quick boat ride out to a couple pristine (like, literally the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen in my life) islands.

The great that about the Virgin Islands are how many islands there are so close together. St. Johns and Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas are pretty touristy, but if you looked at some of the less popular spots you might find what you are looking for.

That's perfect. Bayahibe is on my list for the South coast. I've read all about it. It's close to La Romana. I'm hitting the same place this summer though.

The most important thing is the length of the cruise. The difference in crowd when going from a 3 night cruise to a 7 night cruise is huge. I prefer Royal, if you do a 7 night the allure and Harmony of the seas are beautiful ships with tons of entertainment.

OT: If not allowed please delete. Since offseason i figured it was cool to get some help for a die hard Canesfan. Never went on a cruise before. Wanna leave out of Miami area. Thinking like 4-5 Nite Caribbean (West or East?) Its me and my girl, 30's. What Cruise line do you recommend or any tips would be appreciated. Dont really want drunk cruise full of 21 idiots but not looking for a senior citizen route. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Disney Cruise.

Advertisement
In reality, the ports of the call are the best way to judge what you get out of a cruise:

[video=youtube;W5UJ_Kz4D1M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5UJ_Kz4D1M[/video]

[video=youtube;gHoFElIwXpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoFElIwXpI[/video]

My actual experience with this line, the USN, was more like this:

[video=youtube;jhioeOeOHsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhioeOeOHsA[/video]

You even get a nominal monetary reward each month, but the program can be up to six years mandatory participation.

Now go with God.

What would you consider new bigger boats? Within 5 years? 2Years?

Last 3-4 years. Look at the gross tonnage of the ship. The bigger the ship the most likelyhood that is is fairly new. We just got back from Norwegian Escape cruise. Ship was like 2-3 years old and PHAT

I would recommend the Disney cruise line. Unless you want to gamble, they have an adult section pool area and adult only restaurants. I think the Disney Magic departs from Miami. I haven't been on that one since they refurbished it. Looks nice thou. The staterooms on Disney are bigger than other cruise lines.

Advertisement
if you never been on a cruise i'd recommend Carnival...cheapest of the big 3, a lot of options out of Miami and the food seriously is not bad at all if you do formal dining for breakfast and dinner (and can order more than one plate). Buffet is buffet, and the 24/7 room service food was great (especially at 3 am when you have the munchies), and quick mention on 24/7 pizzeria tasty.

If you enjoy Carnival (like i did) then why not stick with it? Been with 3 on Carnival with another in September. Oasis of the Seas through Royal Carribean is next year but obviously a lot a lot more expensive (and not out of Miami).

Be careful when you go, i've always gone in May and August/September...WHILE KIDS are still in school! This includes elementary to high school and even college.

I'm about your age.

I have a very good friend down by you that deals with cruises for a living. DM me & maybe I can help you out.

No to Carnival - Royal Caribbean - NCL. NCL gives you free drinks when you book a Balcony Cabin, can't beat that. Top Shelf Drinks too.

Advertisement
Back