OT: Need a Cruise line recommendation

Just kinda wanna goto some cool spots in the caribean. Kinda curious. Watersports, beach activities, into site see if it wasnt boring. Im soso when it comes to motion sickness but from what ive heard as long as you have a good room its not huge issue? Do you usually fly?

I always fly. I'd hurl on a boat. From what I hear, the room is one part of it but so is having the motion sickness patch, and even that isn't a guarantee.

There are a number of places you can go. The two more affordable options which will allow you to do much of what you want are Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. I'm older then you so I go to the quieter North Coast of the DR. The beaches are beautiful and there are water sports for my kids. Cabarete is great for surfing. Las Terrenas is great for a laidback beach vibe with a twist of Europe blended with a rough edged Dominican fishing village. Not much else to do though except eat in some good places and hang out. Closer to Santo Domingo, you can check out La Romana and see the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo.

I took my kids to Rincon last summer in Puerto Rico where they also surfed. San Juan is a good option for you because you can go to nice beaches and also check out Old San Juan. Unless you plan on going to Cartagena, Old San Juan is a cool place to check out if you like that old Spanish architecture and I like it more than Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone.

The places I've given you are all cool in their own way and more affordable than other parts of the Caribbean.

I don't do all inclusives but if that's what you want then check out Punta Cana in the DR. It's costlier than the rest of the DR. Hope this helps and enjoy wherever it is you go.

**** RVA, you're on point! I'm paying you the next time I want to book a trip!

You can actually come along Lust. I try to take my kids and niece away each summer for 2 weeks. I've got to consider a number of things in deciding where to go. I also hate the ripoff side of the Caribbean so I try to avoid that. If I'm going to get gauged then at least let it be in Europe.

At some point I hope I'm living in one of these places. I go so much because I feel better in that environment.

Advertisement
Just kinda wanna goto some cool spots in the caribean. Kinda curious. Watersports, beach activities, into site see if it wasnt boring. Im soso when it comes to motion sickness but from what ive heard as long as you have a good room its not huge issue? Do you usually fly?

We cruise a lot. Sea bands actually work for the seasickness thing. The shorter cruises are usually more the drinking cruise with longer ones more the older couples type. Summer is more family so more kids running around. For the motion issues, midships is best with the higher decks being a little more sensitive to movements. Truth is the ship are so big now that most cruises around here are smooth. If you get east to Puerto Rico trench is can get little rough but mostly it is factor of rain storms.

Just don't fly United to get to the cruise port...You may miss the ship and be assaulted to boot!

It all depends what you want. Of the big 3...

Norwegian is the "classiest", but tends to be a slightly older crowd. Also a little more expensive. Their newest ships have a lot to do, and free style cruising is solid. Definitely the best dining options.

Royal is the Goldie Locks. Not the ****show of Carnival, not as snobby as NCL. Solid amenities. Very good dining options.

Carnival is great for one thing and one thing only... single, young a$$ looking to make terrible mistakes. And enough alcohol for those mistakes to happen freely and often. Cheapest, ****tiest food, least amenities, but the youngest, rowdiest crowd of the three.

Now go with God.

Advertisement
OT: If not allowed please delete. Since offseason i figured it was cool to get some help for a die hard Canesfan. Never went on a cruise before. Wanna leave out of Miami area. Thinking like 4-5 Nite Caribbean (West or East?) Its me and my girl, 30's. What Cruise line do you recommend or any tips would be appreciated. Dont really want drunk cruise full of 21 idiots but not looking for a senior citizen route. Any help is appreciated thanks.

I have been on about 5 cruise in my lifetime (including 2 as a child so maybe don't count those) and I was just on a 6 day western Carribean cruise (carnival vista) from 4/2 to 4/8. Here's my opinion. I'm 27 and it was just the girlfriend and I so similar situation as yours.

Many people on here suggesting Royal Carribean, and rightfully so as overall I believe they are the better cruise over Carnival but I took a chance with carnival this last time and I couldn't have made a better decision. The key is more in the age of the vessel than it is in the cruise line. It's important to go on a newer boat - and typically they don't have short 3 day cruise on newer boats so you will be taking at least a 6 day cruise if you want to go on a new ship. New boats are cleaner, modern, the best staff are assigned to the newer ships, better food, and they are updated from an audio/visual standpoint.

The Vista is Carnivals newest and latest ship and trust me it did not disappoint. The food was by far the best I have had on a cruise. I paid the extra money for a balcony and it's well worth it, especially if it's just you and the lady.

My cruise went to ocho Rios (terrible which is not fault of the cruise- more on that if you want to know) , grand Cayman (amazing) and Cozumel (amazing). Great thing about a 6 day cruise is you won't have the million "drunk idiots" you refer to as most younger people won't shell out the cash when they could just do a three day cruise. There were barely any old people on my cruise either (I'm guessing 6 days is a little much). It was a nice mix.

I left out of Miami and they have really streamlined that embarkation and debarkation process. I was in my room with my luggage witthin 30 minutes of being dropped off at the terminal. Those who have been on cruises in the past can tell you how unheard of that is.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. The girlfriend and I liked an even mix of party and relaxing and this cruise was perfect for that.

Been on all the cruise ships. Royal, Carnival, Princess, NCL and Celebrity. They all are good. Go for the cheapest 5 day out of Mia, probably Carnival. NCL is a great ship. Royal same, Princess and Celebrity older. Carnival is more rowdy.

Advertisement
OT: If not allowed please delete. Since offseason i figured it was cool to get some help for a die hard Canesfan. Never went on a cruise before. Wanna leave out of Miami area. Thinking like 4-5 Nite Caribbean (West or East?) Its me and my girl, 30's. What Cruise line do you recommend or any tips would be appreciated. Dont really want drunk cruise full of 21 idiots but not looking for a senior citizen route. Any help is appreciated thanks.

I have been on about 5 cruise in my lifetime (including 2 as a child so maybe don't count those) and I was just on a 6 day western Carribean cruise (carnival vista) from 4/2 to 4/8. Here's my opinion. I'm 27 and it was just the girlfriend and I so similar situation as yours.

Many people on here suggesting Royal Carribean, and rightfully so as overall I believe they are the better cruise over Carnival but I took a chance with carnival this last time and I couldn't have made a better decision. The key is more in the age of the vessel than it is in the cruise line. It's important to go on a newer boat - and typically they don't have short 3 day cruise on newer boats so you will be taking at least a 6 day cruise if you want to go on a new ship. New boats are cleaner, modern, the best staff are assigned to the newer ships, better food, and they are updated from an audio/visual standpoint.

The Vista is Carnivals newest and latest ship and trust me it did not disappoint. The food was by far the best I have had on a cruise. I paid the extra money for a balcony and it's well worth it, especially if it's just you and the lady.

My cruise went to ocho Rios (terrible which is not fault of the cruise- more on that if you want to know) , grand Cayman (amazing) and Cozumel (amazing). Great thing about a 6 day cruise is you won't have the million "drunk idiots" you refer to as most younger people won't shell out the cash when they could just do a three day cruise. There were barely any old people on my cruise either (I'm guessing 6 days is a little much). It was a nice mix.

I left out of Miami and they have really streamlined that embarkation and debarkation process. I was in my room with my luggage witthin 30 minutes of being dropped off at the terminal. Those who have been on cruises in the past can tell you how unheard of that is.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. The girlfriend and I liked an even mix of party and relaxing and this cruise was perfect for that.

What was so bad about ocho rios? I was on the victory two years ago and hated it. It was an old ship and I had an interior cabin. But ocho rios was nice. Went zip lining which included a nice lunch after in the mountains. Cayman was boring cause it was flat. I'm grew up in Miami so to me it was like being back home. Jamaica was nicer IMO due to the topography alone.

Carnival is the only popular cruise line doing 5 night sailing this summer. But for a couple hundred more you may be able to do 7 night on Celebrity ship. PM me if you like. I own a cruise planners franchise. Motion sickness in the summer on large ships is rare. In fact you may sail entire week and not realize you're moving the whole time. Stabilizers have come a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My order of preference for Caribbean:

Celebrity
Royal Caribbean - best overall value
Princess
Holland America - much older crowd, IMO

If the cruise was to somewhere else, the list would be quite different. Do you have small kids? If so, RCL and Disney are great for them.

My wife and I just returned from our 29th cruise, and all over the world. Carnival is not on our list of lines to sail. Neither is NCL - cabins too small.

Caribbean is my least favorite place to cruise. But, since we've been about everywhere we care to go, Caribbean is convenient for me out of Port Canaveral.

Advertisement
Don't do a cruise - why spend all of your time on a disease riddled ship herded with hundreds of other people?

Follow RVA's suggestions, I can vouch for every place he mentioned.

Would also suggest you consider the Virgin Islands - fly into St. Thomas and from there you can do private boat charters for the day for a few hundred $, and can hop cheap ferry's to St. John, Jost Van Dyke or a longer trip down to the Bath's in Virgin Gorda (amazing place - google it).

Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL, etc. are all cheap options.

If you want a truly great sailing experience, then your best choice, hands down, is SeaDream

Advertisement
Don't do a cruise - why spend all of your time on a disease riddled ship herded with hundreds of other people?

Follow RVA's suggestions, I can vouch for every place he mentioned.

Would also suggest you consider the Virgin Islands - fly into St. Thomas and from there you can do private boat charters for the day for a few hundred $, and can hop cheap ferry's to St. John, Jost Van Dyke or a longer trip down to the Bath's in Virgin Gorda (amazing place - google it).

I need to check out the Virgin Islands. Any other recommendations if I love Las Terrenas?

I don't do cruises, but I can recommend an airline:

IMG_3926.jpg

From someone that doesn't do cruises, but talks to a lot of people and tourists in my area about them..

why hasn't one single person mentioned disney cruises? Do they not have any ships down there or something?

every single person I've talked to that has been on one of their ships say they'll never use another cruise ship ever again

Advertisement
Back