OT:NBA regular season suspended

The good thing about stressful uncertain times like this it is exposes the worst of the porsters on here and I get to beef up my ignore list.

:richt:

Advertisement
Stop panicking. Healthcare workers are people just like you and have the same concerns. Overwhelming them with questions and stress and hyperbole about worst case scenarios doesn't help them or anyone else.

Take reasonable precautions. Wash your hands, disinfect surfaces, cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough. You may want to reconsider your plans to attend events.

There is a happy medium between panic and complacency.
Most well reasoned response in this thread so far

Except we contained those, and we haven’t contained Coronavirus so what point are you even trying to prove?

This is an example of how containment policies can dramatically improve outcomes, and a reason why the Spanish Flu is used as evidence:

Right. We got those behind us. Just like we'll get COVID-19 behind us. This is in large part because modern advances in technology (across many industries) make the severity of a flu-based virus like this much less devastating in 2020 than it was in 1918. SARS, MERS, bird flu, swine flu, they all likely would have wrecked much more havoc in 1918 than they did in the 21st century.

Look, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the Spanish Flu/red herring debate. You think Spanish Flu is referenced solely to point out how taking actions to keep people away from gathering in huge crowds is helpful. I didn't need a mention of the Spanish Flu of 1918 to know that, and I don't think most other Americans did either. My personal take is that it is being referenced continually by many people right now for a very different purpose. But if you disagree, all good.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Hard to find someone more fit and healthy than an actual NBA player.

he wont die from this, but he could spread it to someone who may. its why we should all take precautions. sports can wait a month or more. the athletic released testing capacities of the major medical institutions around the country fyi. ill post it on here once i get off a work computer LOL

Advertisement
Tru... also Tom Hanks has Coronavirus. Couple biggish back-to-back breaking news updates
They TESTED with the virus, no mention as to if ill from it. After being tested they want to quarantine them for 14 days bu *** doe not mean they are ill..

he wont die from this, but he could spread it to someone who may. its why we should all take precautions. sports can wait a month or more. the athletic released testing capacities of the major medical institutions around the country fyi. ill post it on here once i get off a work computer LOL

Not sure what the testing capacities would be doing in the athletic. Let’s see what that is

It's all good, I still love ya!

I go back to my earlier point, though. If we have "so much more knowledge" in 2020 than we did in 1918, why is it still so hard to convince some (not all) of the wisdom of shutting down mass events? I could understand the Mayor of Philadelphia being an idiot in 1918 and still having the parade, if we didn't have so many people in 2020 complaining about cancelling sporting events with comparable numerical impact (NCAA Tournament).

That's all.

This whole thing is going to suck. Sporting-wise AND overall-economy-wise.

Coulda/woulda/shoulda planned better. Hopefully we will learn and we will be better in the future.

No guarantees, though.
It was a hard hit to my ego, man, but I still love ya too. LOL

Agree. It's tough to argue for getting 10s of thousands of people together in arenas right now. And who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong and it will turn out we didn't even DO ENOUGH when all is said and done. I just think those odds are low; whereas, the devastation to our economy from all of this is guaranteed. I just wish people weren't presently persecuted for positioning that we need to take that into account as well. Can you imagine if the world came to a halt like this every flu season? And no, I'm not doing the "it's just the flu!"-thing. But the reality is, this isn't the most heinous viral contagion ever known to mankind. We have had and likely will have again way way way worse sicknesses on our planet than coronavirus.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Attachments

• AD74D955-D233-49D6-B40E-A35DF5EEBE0C.jpeg
    AD74D955-D233-49D6-B40E-A35DF5EEBE0C.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 6
It was a hard hit to my ego, man, but I still love ya too. LOL

Agree. It's tough to argue for getting 10s of thousands of people together in arenas right now. And who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong and it will turn out we didn't even DO ENOUGH when all is said and done. I just think those odds are low; whereas, the devastation to our economy from all of this is guaranteed. I just wish people weren't presently persecuted for positioning that we need to take that into account as well. Can you imagine if the world came to a halt like this every flu season? And no, I'm not doing the "it's just the flu!"-thing. But the reality is, this isn't the most heinous viral contagion ever known to mankind. We have had and likely will have again way way way worse sicknesses on our planet than coronavirus.

I agree with almost everything you said, and I hope you don't think I'm persecuting anyone for mentioning the economy.

I am just tired of the way that old tropes are USED by some/many. "It's not that bad" and "Oh, the economy" are used (intentionally or unintentionally) to herd people towards inaction.

I was an Eagle Scout. The Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared". I learned how to shoot guns and build fires at the age of 10 (and I have yet to shoot myself or burn myself). I believe in taking precautions and educating one's self, that is all.

Yes, some people overdo it, but I think that is a human failing, not a "media failing". Some people might even "need" the "media hype" to react, because they won't listen when you warn them calmly.

And I do tend to blame the government more than any other body. But NOT because I expect Trump to personally had me a testing kit. I am fairly self-sufficient, I just want the INFORMATION, as quickly as I can get it. And there have certainly been reports that the earliest information was classified and suppressed by our government.

I don't give a **** about the politics of it. We just need honest information so that we can all prepare ourselves.

That is all.

I agree with almost everything you said, and I hope you don't think I'm persecuting anyone for mentioning the economy.

I am just tired of the way that old tropes are USED by some/many. "It's not that bad" and "Oh, the economy" are used (intentionally or unintentionally) to herd people towards inaction.

I was an Eagle Scout. The Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared". I learned how to shoot guns and build fires at the age of 10 (and I have yet to shoot myself or burn myself). I believe in taking precautions and educating one's self, that is all.

Yes, some people overdo it, but I think that is a human failing, not a "media failing". Some people might even "need" the "media hype" to react, because they won't listen when you warn them calmly.

And I do tend to blame the government more than any other body. But NOT because I expect Trump to personally had me a testing kit. I am fairly self-sufficient, I just want the INFORMATION, as quickly as I can get it. And there have certainly been reports that the earliest information was classified and suppressed by our government.

I don't give a **** about the politics of it. We just need honest information so that we can all prepare ourselves.

That is all.
Definitely didn't mean to wrap you into that, no. More of a general society-sense. The fervor has gotten so intense that it's almost reached a point where if you aren't just blindly in support of every possible reaction to this, and put forth economic balancing arguments, you are attacked as either ignorant and advocating for NO response, or you worse things like you don't care if old people die. I mean there has to be SOME point where the needle tips to "this is too much", right? Right?!?

Advertisement
Makes sense. Hard to find someone more fit and healthy than an actual NBA player.
I read it takes up to a couple weeks for symptoms to show..the facts are so ambiguous right now..we don’t even have enough testing to go around..some really really smart person on tv said they expect 1/3 of Americans to be effected (I know that sounds stupid lol)..this just the tip of the iceberg

I read it takes up to a couple weeks for symptoms to show..the facts are so ambiguous right now..we don’t even have enough testing to go around..some really really smart person on tv said they expect 1/3 of Americans to be effected (I know that sounds stupid lol)..this just the tip of the iceberg

gobert and Mitchell wete set to play last night. Neither felt sick really.

Advertisement
gobert and Mitchell wete set to play last night. Neither felt sick really.
That’s the thing..they don’t know at exactly when symptoms occur..but it appears you can test positive and have absolutely no symptoms until days later..but gobert was sick, not drastically but that’s y he wasn’t playing

Definitely didn't mean to wrap you into that, no. More of a general society-sense. The fervor has gotten so intense that it's almost reached a point where if you aren't just blindly in support of every possible reaction to this, and put forth economic balancing arguments, you are attacked as either ignorant and advocating for NO response, or you worse things like you don't care if old people die. I mean there has to be SOME point where the needle tips to "this is too much", right? Right?!?
"We have locked everyone in their houses for two months without food and water. This is just a precautionary step until we can figure out what to do with all the dead bodies." Government

"But what about all the dead bodies in the houses?" People

"At least they died at home, and not from Coronavirus." Government.

I think we should take threats seriously, but we also don't need to cry wolf over everything. They are treating this like it's Ebola Zaire
Big pharma has nothing to do with the test kits
I'm assuming we buy them from Home Depot?

Advertisement
Back