OT:NBA regular season suspended

Pay wall.

Here's the first bit. Washington Post:

Coronavirus burial pits so vast they’re visible from space

Iranian authorities began digging a pair of trenches for victims just days after the government disclosed the initial outbreak. Together, their lengths are that of a football field.

By Erin Cunningham and Dalton Bennett March 12, 2020

Two days after Iran declared its first cases of the novel coronavirus — in what would become one of the largest outbreaks of the illness outside of China — evidence of unusual activity appeared at a cemetery near where the infections emerged.

At the Behesht-e Masoumeh complex in Qom, about 80 miles south of Tehran, the excavation of a new section of the graveyard began as early as Feb. 21, satellite images show, and then rapidly expanded as the virus spread. By the end of the month, two large trenches — their lengths totaling 100 yards — were visible at the site from space.

According to expert analysis, video testimony and official statements, the graves were dug to accommodate the rising number of virus victims in Qom.

Advertisement
Here's the first bit. Washington Post:

Coronavirus burial pits so vast they’re visible from space

Iranian authorities began digging a pair of trenches for victims just days after the government disclosed the initial outbreak. Together, their lengths are that of a football field.

By Erin Cunningham and Dalton Bennett March 12, 2020

Two days after Iran declared its first cases of the novel coronavirus — in what would become one of the largest outbreaks of the illness outside of China — evidence of unusual activity appeared at a cemetery near where the infections emerged.

At the Behesht-e Masoumeh complex in Qom, about 80 miles south of Tehran, the excavation of a new section of the graveyard began as early as Feb. 21, satellite images show, and then rapidly expanded as the virus spread. By the end of the month, two large trenches — their lengths totaling 100 yards — were visible at the site from space.

According to expert analysis, video testimony and official statements, the graves were dug to accommodate the rising number of virus victims in Qom.
Thank you for pasting.

Wow. They've lost 11 members of their parliament as well.

Thank you for pasting.

Wow. They've lost 11 members of their parliament as well.

It's not meant to be alarmist, I just thought it was something worth noting, as Iran would be at the high end of the list of countries whose governments are not as transparent in their responses to crises like this.

EDIT:

This next article is already a couple of weeks old:

Feb. 25, 2020, 7:52 PM EST / Updated Feb. 28, 2020, 1:04 PM EST

By Dan De Luce

WASHINGTON — Iran has the highest reported number of deaths from the coronavirus outside China, raising questions about how the government is handling the public health crisis and whether the often secretive regime has been fully transparent about the extent of the outbreak.

Iran's health ministry spokesman said on Friday that 34 Iranians have died out of a total of 388 positive cases. Iran has now suspended parliament indefinitely due to the outbreak.

And in an attempt to be darkly humorous, just what in the heck is going on in these Iranian government meetings:

"Multiple senior Iranian officials have been diagnosed SARS-CoV-2 positive: deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi, Vice President for Women and Family Affairs Masoumeh Ebtekar, Chairman of Parliament's National Security and Foreign Affairs Committee Mojtaba Zolnour, head of emergency medical services Pirhossein Kolivand, First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri, Minister of Cultural Heritage Ali Asghar Mounesan, and Minister of Industry Reza Rahmani. 23 members of the Iranian Parliament, around 8% of all MPs, were reported to have been infected by 3 March 2020. Iran's first ambassador to the Vatican, Hadi Khosroshahi, Member of Expediency Discernment Council Mohammad Mirmohammadi, diplomat Hossein Sheikholeslam, former and newly elected MP Fatemeh Rahbar and Mohammad-Reza Rahchamani also died from COVID-19."

Last edited:
Although the best satellite photo I saw this week was this:

9ae4475dcbe986322ed8cf7b17ac7b95.jpg

Any idea what that is? (without cheating) ;-)

Advertisement
5 minutes ago I pasted a link to the fact that your data showed that .9% of healthy people died from Coronavirus. Are you blind?

I posted this 17 mins ago. You didn’t reply again.

Your data that you linked shows that 0.9% of healthy people die from Coronavirus. Which is 9x worse than the flu, and not even taking into account that most people that die from the flu have pre-existing conditions, just like coronavirus. There is literally no data showing that the flu is worse. Done replying to an absolute ******

You don't appear to gave the first grasp of even how to read the data that I, and others, posted.

Let me try and help:

The cohort table I shared shows the immuno-comprimised death rate for all ages. The .9% you keep flapping about for the young were those very young at risk for a bad outcome--not the healthy.

Furthermore, ypu do understand how DIME is calculated right? D is the ONLY close to as factual number you have because, well, YOU HAVE AN ACTUAL DEAD BODY TO COUNT (respect IJJB). I, M, E fluctuate quite a bit, and are ALWAYS understated.

ALWAYS. Why is this important? BECAUSE IT ARTIFICIALLY ELEVATES the "death rate". If the actual I, M, Es were known or at least better counted, particularly the I, and M (E doesn't always convert to D, but 99% do).

So, if they are reporting .9%, 10%, ffs 50% "death rate", then they better have either have 100% I, M, and E counts or there better be a ton of Ds found laying on the street or in their homes collapsed and gone.

So, all the death rate you have been quoting, is a basic, but OVERSTATED benchmark (same for flu season each year).

Hopefully this will help calm your severe case of the vapors.

PS Has there been a SINGLE report in US of corona virus death in street or someone found dead and cold at home?

Now granted, this spreads in LA homeless community, watch out--for them.

Healthy people, by almost every single GLOBAL account, it's a bad cold/flu.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well your super power is coming across as a fool trying desperately to seem smarter than every one else in the room. Not engaging is a form of ignoring. For example, when I'm walking into a store and there's a disheveled dude there talking to himself and bothering all the customers.. I just keep walking. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with him about whatever gremlins he has in his head that day. Every once in a while I'll tell him I don't have change for him tho.

Run away in shame.

Run away.

It's more than that. What people fail to realize is the slow incubation period and the large % of asymptomatic cases, combined with insufficient testing measures. For all we know this thing is all over North America right now and in 1-2 weeks we're in full-fledged Italy mode where everything is shut down, patients are being treated in the hallways of hospitals, equipment and medical care are scarce, medical personnel are getting sick themselves or collapsing from dehydration and exhaustion, and patients are living and dying based on who gets access to limited oxygen.

The Simplistic Angry Male is suffering from an even worse condition - Ostrich Neck Syndrome. And no one has it worse than Great Leader Trump who's too chicken**** to call for social distancing (which I've been practicing for weeks already) and risk his precious economy tanking even harder, costing him the 1 political tool he can exploit for personal gain in the upcoming election.

And no I'm not American and in Canada we're being fed the same prevarications - "the risk is LOW" they say. So if you want a conspiracy how about the conspiracy of wiping out the elderly population to remove their pensions and burden on the health care system? There's something for Empirouette Cane to twirl about.

Your words are so hurtful.

Rivaled only by your lack of grasp on the topic.

I don't ignore it. In fact, I have frequently cited it.

I was addressing the SPECIFIC comment that Empirical makes over and over again, about "wanting to get back to football".

But, yes, there is a MUCH larger impact that will be felt. For the moment, on this thread, we SEEMED to be talking only about the athletic events, but in the larger context, this is going to be bad.

I've used this comparison before, but here goes. In "hurricane prep" if the "horrible media" chooses to "overhype" the problem, and people go out and buy "too much" bottled water and toilet paper, no businesses really benefit. The "news stations" lose ad revenue while the storm is happening, and the stores lose revenue from water/TP sales after the storm, because people are stocked up. In that situation, you have times of higher-than-normal revenue followed by lower-than-normal revenue.

But what is happening now will not be "replaced". People are not going to take two vacations next year to make up for this one that they missed. Corporate groups are not going to hold two conventions to make up for the one that had to be cancelled.

The economic impact will be substantial. And while you make a good point, I would simply ask, when are we going to learn the lesson that it is better to spend money ahead of the problem, it is cheaper to PREVENT the problem than it is to try to "manage" the problem or "fix" the problem once it has manifested.

That's all.

You may think that Empirical is just benignly stating facts, you are entitled to your opinion. So I only ask, what is his purpose, what is his intent. He doesn't engage in any thoughtful debate over how we value human life, he just bemoans that we are cancelling sporting events. His citation of other "more deadly" diseases may not, on its own, be the cause of thousands of people failing to take greater precautions, but when you add up all of the similar "perspective-urging/smarter-than-the-rest-of-us/the-media-is-overhyping-this" commenters, then you have a cumulative impact.

I don't have any personal animus towards Empirical. But I will continue to critique this whole "hey, this isn't a big deal" approach. Yes, losing all of these sporting events is terrible. And, yes, the overall economic damage will be massive. But what is the ALTERNATIVE? In that regard, and that regard alone, I do not believe the "this is not as bad as breast cancer" argument is the proper approach to take.

This thing is going to have "hurricane-like" damage to the economy, but for the whole country, not just one city. That's what we need to manage, without "blaming the media" for selling ads during the news broadcasts.

I have zero agenda in stating the facts as based on the best, reasonable, and non hysterical information available.

You bear no "personal animus" towards me. Oh, what a relief, I just couldn't stand it if you did. Like seriously, I would be crushed. I would wail for at least a fortnite in utter despair.

My point, that several on here have been capable of grasping (hint: not you) is in the US, we have reached a point of counterproductive hysteria-and that is tragic. Economic loss and social loss are real for a knee jerk lemming off the cliff reaction.

Reasonable would have been, IF you are at risk category then social distance, IF you have a good chances of close contact with someone in risk category then social distance, increase your hand washing, etc. This would be far more effective than either party trying to score points, and they are.

Learn

To

Read

What

I

Have

Stated.

Advertisement
Guys
i live in the northern part of Italy (in Turin)and we are in complete lockdown

800 dead in 2 weeks, 12k infected, 1000 in intesive care units. Healthcare in Italy is the secondo best in the world as if WHO and it's completely free.

Please STAY HOME
this is really no joke, italian healtcare system and economy is really risking now
It is not a normal Flu
Define "lockdown" because I have family in Italy (Modena) and word is "its not really a shut down and things are going on well". Take it for what its worth.

Last edited:
I have family in central italy (Modena) and word is "its not really shut down and things are going well".

Define "lockdown" because i have family in Italy (Modena) and accofding to

I have family in Italy (Modena) and word is "its not really a shut down and things are going on well". Take it for what its worth.

You mean your family hasn't observed the Walking Dead on the Pallazzo?

YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM spreading this kind of irresponsible reason.

How dare you.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back