OT: Lovie Smith Out At Illinois

Goulds Cane

Senior

**** shame, Illinois was the worst, least talented team in the Power 5 when he got there. He built a decent foundation, got them bowl eligible, brought their facilities into the 21st century & was recruiting decently all things considered. My question is, what decent coaching candidate is trying to go to Illinois?

Advertisement
Lovie was a strange hire to begin with. He had just been canned by the Bears. The new AD wanted to roll the dice and he got a good man and solid coach, but Lovie was never going to be more than a middle of the packer in the Big 10. Illinois thinks it is better than that, but I don't really know why.

Illinois is a deceptively tough job. You would think there would be a recruiting advantage with Chicago, but most of the talent is in the public system, and most of those kinds can't get eligible. Juice Williams was supposed to change that like 15 years ago, but it just never happened.

Lovie was a strange hire to begin with. He had just been canned by the Bears. The new AD wanted to roll the dice and he got a good man and solid coach, but Lovie was never going to be more than a middle of the packer in the Big 10. Illinois thinks it is better than that, but I don't really know why.

Illinois is a deceptively tough job. You would think there would be a recruiting advantage with Chicago, but most of the talent is in the public system, and most of those kinds can't get eligible. Juice Williams was supposed to change that like 15 years ago, but it just never happened.
Boy I use to run people with juice on ncaa. Illinois was a sleeper squad

Advertisement

Proud of my baby cousin who graduated from Illinois (matter fact, I realize all my baby female cousins are 100x smarter than the boys. Lol) anyways, anyways....to ur point, u r correct. Illinois is a tough job. Champaign is a tough, tough academic school. Plus, top players from Chicago or the Chicago area tend to leave & go elsewhere. They don’t have a real recruiting ground around them. They have to really hit on evaluations of some gems. Now Northwestern is eating off their plate.

Advertisement
Sport Idk GIF by UFC

Advertisement
I started heard a rumor that Blake Baker considers Illinois his dream job and wants to take the entire defensive staff with him.

**** shame, Illinois was the worst, least talented team in the Power 5 when he got there. He built a decent foundation, got them bowl eligible, brought their facilities into the 21st century & was recruiting decently all things considered. My question is, what decent coaching candidate is trying to go to Illinois?

It's a big 10 job somebody will want it probably from a group of 5 school that wants to step up. Lovie was paid over 4 million a year too and was a consistent loser that will get you canned anywhere they should have never fired Ron zook that was a good as they can hope for

Illinois produces good offensive linemen and running backs but most go to other midwest powers Ohio St,notre dame, wisconsin etc

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back