OT: Jets get Le'Veon

Advertisement
I just think Bell didn't want to be in Pitt anymore. Now, he's going to find out the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Going from one of the top franchises to one of the worst. I just don't understand these guys sometimes. You are going to make stupid money wherever you go, might as well win for a tad less.

Steelers best offer last year:

5-year deal worth $70M
$33M guaranteed the first 2 years
$45M over the first 3 years
Lost $14.5M by sitting out 2018

Bell got:

4-year deal worth $52.5M
$35M guaranteed

Sooooo he basically sat out a year to get $2M more in overall guaranteed money WHILE sacrificing $14.5M in last year's salary.

We can go down the wormhole of the potential outside benefits of playing in NYC but I think that whole big market endorsement shtick has been largely minimized in today's advertising world.

As far as the relatively minimal incentives, the Steelers may have been/are in disarray but their o-line was/is top-notch. His running style of depending on maximum patience in making cuts is reallllly gonna be put to the test in NY.

I think him and his agent were prisoners of the moment when they saw the money that Todd Gurley got. They just failed to realize that Gurley's deal was as far as that pendulum was going to swing with RB deals and it obviously headed back in the opposite direction over the last 9+ months.
The Steelers guarantee was not 33 mill. It would of been 33 if he played 2 more seasons. You want to risk that and come out getting injured like Earl Thomas In the first year...he wouldnt of gotten squat.
Actually their guarantee money was actually 10 mill. Even less than what I had heard before...It was 10 mill. Thats why he didnt take the steelers offer.
According to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, there wasn’t a lot of it guaranteed in the Steelers’ final offer.
Rapoport reports that a $10 million signing bonus was the only fully guaranteed portion of the contract.
From SB Nation...If Bell had agreed to this deal, the Steelers could have released him after this season. The team would be left with an unspecified amount of dead cap space for 2019, and Bell would walk away with less money than what he was guaranteed to make with the franchise tag and nowhere near the deal’s $70 million possibility.

35 mill in the hand is better than 10 mill in the hand. Bell had already risked injury 2 times on Franchise tags. He bet on himself those 2 times and now he ended up winning.

Advertisement
Jets gave more guaranteed money and easier incentives that can make it up to 61 mill. Steelers were only guarantee 20 mill..Jets is 35 Mill. Plus he has over a year to rest his body and no wear and tear.
Steelers initial offer he refused was 5 years, 70 million, 33 million guaranteed. It only dropped after the holdout started. He got clowned when you add in the 14.5 million he just lost this year, too. I mean fine for the Jets, but Bell lost.

Steelers initial offer he refused was 5 years, 70 million, 33 million guaranteed. It only dropped after the holdout started. He got clowned when you add in the 14.5 million he just lost this year, too. I mean fine for the Jets, but Bell lost.
It was 10 mill guarenteed from Pitt. Read above post. I have 2 sources that stated it was 10. Smh

It was 10 mill guarenteed from Pitt. Read above post. I have 2 sources that stated it was 10. Smh
And I'm from Pittsburgh and have read about this BS on **** near a daily basis for 3 years. Smh. It was 10 million on their last offer, 33 on the original contract he refused. If your sources are closer to the situation than every single Steelers insider beat writer than I'd love to know who they are. Is Rooney your Grandpap or something?

And I'm from Pittsburgh and have read about this BS on **** near a daily basis for 3 years. Smh. It was 10 million on their last offer, 33 on the original contract he refused. If your sources are closer to the situation than every single Steelers insider beat writer than I'd love to know who they are. Is Rooney your Grandpap or something?
Why would they reduce the guarantee money? It was always 10 mill. Everyone knows that Pittsburgh is one of the few teams that only guarantees during the first year in every contract. Even Antonio Brown had mentioned it. I provided a few sources and they are the most legitimate that you could probably find. Even Adam schefter came on ESPN after midnight and walking into the studio and explained the reason about the guarantee money that most people did not know about.
In the NFL guaranteed money is the only real money. 35 million beats 10 million any day or year

Advertisement
Just here for the Steelers fans who still think losing bell and brown made them better. Who’s Ben gonna blame for his own ***** ups now?

Just here for the Steelers fans who still think losing bell and brown made them better. Who’s Ben gonna blame for his own ***** ups now?

Not a Steelers fan but the Steelers can maybe go put money in positions that actually win championships. Rather than the **** skill spots. Ol, Dl and qb is where you spend.

It’s not like they were winning sb’s with the “ killer b’s”

No question there was collusion amongst NFL ownership. They can't let each other incentive players to sit out a season and get an huge reward for doing so. If he got any benefit from his scheme it's marginal at best. Seeing as he landed with the Jets, the same place he said, "couldn't pay him enough to play" it's actually an L.

Advertisement
Your name being Dhatguy couldn't possibly explain that dumbass statement any better. You honestly are dhatguy

Not a Steelers fan but the Steelers can maybe go put money in positions that actually win championships. Rather than the **** skill spots. Ol, Dl and qb is where you spend.

It’s not like they were winning sb’s with the “ killer b’s”

this is why theyre stupid for trading AB. they have his 20 mill on their books in dead cap. i would've said kick rocks and make it work for at least another year.

this is why theyre stupid for trading AB. they have his 20 mill on their books in dead cap. i would've said kick rocks and make it work for at least another year.

Agree.

He was forcing their hand by all his constant media talk , but you’re right.

His method worked.

Advertisement
Agree.

He was forcing their hand by all his constant media talk , but you’re right.

His method worked.

yup. props to him. he may have looked ridiculous but he ****ed over a marquee franchise in a sport where the players have little power.

yup. props to him. he may have looked ridiculous but he ****ed over a marquee franchise in a sport where the players have little power.

The cap going up 11 million helps a little, that takes the sting off the dead money

The Steelers guarantee was not 33 mill. It would of been 33 if he played 2 more seasons. You want to risk that and come out getting injured like Earl Thomas In the first year...he wouldnt of gotten squat.
Actually their guarantee money was actually 10 mill. Even less than what I had heard before...It was 10 mill. Thats why he didnt take the steelers offer.
According to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, there wasn’t a lot of it guaranteed in the Steelers’ final offer.
Rapoport reports that a $10 million signing bonus was the only fully guaranteed portion of the contract.
From SB Nation...If Bell had agreed to this deal, the Steelers could have released him after this season. The team would be left with an unspecified amount of dead cap space for 2019, and Bell would walk away with less money than what he was guaranteed to make with the franchise tag and nowhere near the deal’s $70 million possibility.

35 mill in the hand is better than 10 mill in the hand. Bell had already risked injury 2 times on Franchise tags. He bet on himself those 2 times and now he ended up winning.

You're not technically* wrong on most of this because a lot of people are either just comparing what he agreed to with the Jets vs just the franchise tag OR how/if they want to spin the Steelers prior reported offer.

Here's what I'm going off of and LeVeon's Camp of Morons never denied any of it as they always had their eyes set on eclipsing Gurley's deal.

"Last year, the All-Pro halfback turned down the Steelers offer for a reported five years and $70 million with $33 million of that guaranteed in the first two years. He would have earned $45 million over three. He also then declined to sign their franchise tag that would have paid him $14.54 million guaranteed last season.

Instead, Bell sat out the entire 2018 season in hopes that he would hit it big as a free agent this year. He did hit it big but not nearly as much as he expected, not even as much had he taken the Steelers offer last summer.

“I’m back in the green baby, let’s get it,” Bell, who played for the green-clad Michigan State Spartans, wrote on Twitter shortly after midnight.

That’s certainly plenty of green cash the green and white Jets doled out to him. But last year, Bell scoffed at the prospect of playing for the Jets at a much higher number. Someone pleaded to Bell in February 2018 on Twitter, saying “we’ll give you $60 million in cash if you come play for” the Jets. Bell’s response was “not ain’t enough to come run with the Jets.”

Now he’ll do it for $8 million less over the life of the contract after giving up much more and a full year of his playing career"

Advertisement
Back