OT - Ivy League Spring football considered

Harvard is considering (or maybe even decided) to bring back only Freshmen and transfers to campus this fall. All other upperclassmen will have fall classes remotely. They will re-evaluate for Spring. A group of students has already gotten together to sue the University over the tuition fees. They are demanding reduced tuition for another semester of remote learning.

That doesn't sound like they are worrying about football...

Advertisement
Harvard is considering (or maybe even decided) to bring back only Freshmen and transfers to campus this fall. All other upperclassmen will have fall classes remotely. They will re-evaluate for Spring. A group of students has already gotten together to sue the University over the tuition fees. They are demanding reduced tuition for another semester of remote learning.

Those that will be allowed back will still take classes remotely, just from their dorm rooms. Columbia also. It's looking like no ivy league schools will hold in person classes this fall.

UCLA also announced all classes on zoom except for labs and the sort. More schools will start announcing similar schedules soon

Ivy league football is a treasure that has to be protected. If we miss the chance on getting one fitzmagic to the league its a god dammed travesty!
This is how all the cancellations started in March. First the ivys cancelled, and then duke followed. Once duke cancelled, everyone else did. Keep an eye on duke/stanford/ucla to call off football first, and then a domino effect.

Those that will be allowed back will still take classes remotely, just from their dorm rooms. Columbia also. It's looking like no ivy league schools will hold in person classes this fall.

UCLA also announced all classes on zoom except for labs and the sort. More schools will start announcing similar schedules soon

This is not true. All Ivy’s have not decided fall plans yet. Most established planning committees to review multiple scenarios, and will announce outcomes/path forward within the next week.

But there are a strong push and a preferential path of holding classes on campus this fall.

Last edited:
This is not true. All Ivy’s have not decided fall plans yet. Most established planning committees to review multiple scenarios, and will announce outcomes/path forward within the next week.
I didn't say they have. But columbia basically has, and this is from harvard. I'd expect the rest to follow suit, but who knows? Either way they're not playing football.

https://www.wbur.org/edify/2020/06/09/harvard-fall-online-teaching. "should the college allow undergraduates back to campus, the current plan would have them take their classes over Zoom from their dorm rooms since there are not enough larger classrooms to provide sufficient social distancing. "

Advertisement
I completely understand. Not everyone can be elite.

All kidding aside, I'm on an alumni advisory board for the program (Yale) and this idea of moving to spring is serious.
It may be a good idea. I don't think moving to spring hurts us, personally. We (may) be able to avoid some colder weather, get our fans in the stands, and install our new offense with a far better practice regimen.

It may be a good idea. I don't think moving to spring hurts us, personally. We (may) be able to avoid some colder weather, get our fans in the stands, and install our new offense with a far better practice regimen.

i agree. it just will seem odd ... football in the spring.

I didn't say they have. But columbia basically has, and this is from harvard. I'd expect the rest to follow suit, but who knows? Either way they're not playing football.

https://www.wbur.org/edify/2020/06/09/harvard-fall-online-teaching. "should the college allow undergraduates back to campus, the current plan would have them take their classes over Zoom from their dorm rooms since there are not enough larger classrooms to provide sufficient social distancing. "

When did Columbia announce this? Not trying to be an ****, but I live in New York and haven’t heard this. The last announcement from Columbia was they had an expectation to hold in person classes in the fall. That could’ve changed, and you could very well be right, but that was there stance a few weeks ago.

And I was responding to your post where you stated “Columbia also. It's looking like no ivy league schools will hold in person classes this fall.”

I went to one of the Ivy’s and I’ve been following our next steps closely. Alumni get regular emails on this and I know we want our students on-campus

Advertisement
When did Columbia announce this? Not trying to be an ****, but I live in New York and haven’t heard this. The last announcement from Columbia was they had an expectation to hold in person classes in the fall. That could’ve changed, and you could very well be right, but that was there stance a few weeks ago.

And I was responding to your post where you stated “Columbia also. It's looking like no ivy league schools will hold in person classes this fall.”

I went to one of the Ivy’s and I’ve been following our next steps closely. Alumni get regular emails on this and I know we want our students on-campus
Live in Morningside, roomate is a student.

Live in Morningside, roomate is a student.

I didn’t hear that at all, and I don’t see any announcements of it anywhere. My neighbor is in a PhD program there, and didn’t mention it. And we had a long discussion about what the fall semester in classes might look like Friday evening. She never once mentioned anything about a fully online model.

Advertisement

I know Brown has communicated nothing to the families. My neighbor and very close friend has a son who will be a senior on the lacrosse team at Brown this fall. He's heard absolutely nothing from either the school or the athletic administration.

FWIW, Miami is holding a Zoom meeting tonight at 5:30 for students and families. President Frenk and other university administrators are going to discuss fall opening plans and answer questions. My son is finishing up one more semester of grad school so we are going to tune in and see what is said. As of now, he is planning to be back in Miami for August 1 - take an online course every day for 1 week, and start regular classes on August 17.

Impeccable timing. Students and alumni just received an email from the university president moments ago, and the Ivy I went to just announced. We are 100% having in person classes this fall. The semester starts September 2 and move-in instructions to come within the next couple weeks. Move-ins to take place over an extended period to allow for virus screening and initial quarantining of all students.

The difference this year will be an extended winter break. The spring semester will resume Feb 9th - a full month later than usual and conclude the end of May.

Advertisement

Students did that to Miami toward the end of this past semester as well.

Advertisement
Back