OT: IMG

Advertisement
That was a lot of going into what IMG is for an article that claimed it wouldn't go into what IMG is.

The very concept of IMG sucks balls. It's bad enough that education often takes a back seat in college, but to start in HS is unforgivable. I don't recall the numbers, but the vast majority of HS football players will never make money in football so when you sacrifice their education for football...
As talented as all the kids at IMG are, most of them will still not make the NFL or be coaches. Who tf would send their kid to a pretend school to increase their chances of making the NFL from 2% to 5%? Maybe IMG does an ok job at education, but it's certainly not the priority. And it should be.

Thought this might be an interesting read for some.

The International Management Group (IMG) was started by Mark McCormick, they have a stable of athletes, celebrities, venues,etc., under their management and ownership in some cases.

IMG hires some of the best teachers in the world, and they pay them pretty dam well. At least twice as much as a regular public school teacher make. The basically took the European Soccer model of identify young talent and providing them a platform for both parties to profit. Not sure why people are surprised that College Football is big business. We're talking about a billion dollar entity within this sport alone. Not sure if the person that made that post understand the mechanisms behind capitalism. This will probably happen in the NBA first, but I guarantee you'll start seeing Teams with their own schools and platforms to funnel those young athletes under. I can see that league doing away in the draft in about 10 years, and going to a straight European model of getting talent.

Advertisement
I’ve alwys felt IMG creating a high school around their athletic development group was odd. But, they must be accredited and as a poster above mentioned they hire excellent teachers. I’d like to see an analysis of the college graduation rates of their students.

We‘re all aware of the limitations of public school systems.

Perhaps the IMG model is the way to provide the best opportunities for young athletes.

IMG hires some of the best teachers in the world, and they pay them pretty dam well. At least twice as much as a regular public school teacher make. The basically took the European Soccer model of identify young talent and providing them a platform for both parties to profit. Not sure why people are surprised that College Football is big business. We're talking about a billion dollar entity within this sport alone. Not sure if the person that made that post understand the mechanisms behind capitalism. This will probably happen in the NBA first, but I guarantee you'll start seeing Teams with their own schools and platforms to funnel those young athletes under. I can see that league doing away in the draft in about 10 years, and going to a straight European model of getting talent.
Is football the only sport at IMG or does it cater to all athletes?

That was a lot of going into what IMG is for an article that claimed it wouldn't go into what IMG is.

The very concept of IMG sucks balls. It's bad enough that education often takes a back seat in college, but to start in HS is unforgivable. I don't recall the numbers, but the vast majority of HS football players will never make money in football so when you sacrifice their education for football...
As talented as all the kids at IMG are, most of them will still not make the NFL or be coaches. Who tf would send their kid to a pretend school to increase their chances of making the NFL from 2% to 5%? Maybe IMG does an ok job at education, but it's certainly not the priority. And it should be.

My brother went to IMG for soccer. He got a great gpa, went on to SMU, got 2 rings, played his 4 years, and now works McKenzie consulting. To suggest you don’t get a decent education is wrong. Like anything you get out what you put in. My brother took all AP classes. His floormate Bo Scarborough took basket weaving and elementary english. IMG does a fantastic job physically developing their athletes, the acedemic side is the choice of the student just like normal highschool.

Last edited:
"It does play a role when you look at where IMG academy recruits go and that schools like Alabama, FSU, Ohio State, Florida, and Miami are represented by IMG. "

Whoever posted this is probably salty they aren't getting any visits from IMG athletes.
A few years ago, they weren't visiting us (Golden/NoD), so it goes without saying the best high school recruits are only going to consider the best college programs.
Just glad we're on the list.

Advertisement

They pretty much have every sport. Tennis was their bread and butter for a while, then Soccer became a major stream for them as well, but football and basketball was the last two sports they added. but go on Wikipedia and check out the alumni. **** is impressive.

IMG purchased the bollettieri tennis academy so it was originally just tennis and slowly started to add sports such as soccer, baseball, basketball, lacrosse, track, golf and football. Football is relatively new but they always had the "boarding" mentality. They used to have an arrangement with a few local private high schools where the kids could come to school late, or leave early in order to train for the specific sport. Once IMG started to have too much influence over the school schedules and started to receive pushback, they simply opened their own school inside the walls.

In addition to just having some of the top facilities, they also have dorms, nutritionists/cafeteria, and a crazy sport science program that helps kids and pros. The education is no worse than some kid at an inner city public school but it is definitely athletic students as opposed to student athlete.

They pretty much have every sport. Tennis was their bread and butter for a while, then Soccer became a major stream for them as well, but football and basketball was the last two sports they added. but go on Wikipedia and check out the alumni. **** is impressive.

My sister studied there back when it was tennis only. She was good and had wins over top 20 players in the world. But, she was not good enough to turn pro at 16. But, they kept her anyway. She "earned" free college for 4 years at an excellent school where she was 2x all-american while becoming a CPA. My family views her treatment as a "win".

It's not like IMG tells it's students they HAVE to go to one of the schools they are in with. I have no problem with this.

Advertisement
How does IMG "represent" universities? I see that Miami was mentioned being represented by IMG or did I read that incorrectly?

..its has ties to the democrat party and Obama. so its naturally corrupt

I don't see why IMG is worse than any other HS in the country, other than the COA is ******* stupid expensive.

For the money, I don't think it's a better school than some cheaper private schools. But if money is no object, or you're getting a scholarship, why wouldn't you want to go there?

Advertisement
IMG is taking advantage of the system already in place. Can't be mad... they got long money like Alice binney from Crayola

My brother went to IMG for soccer. He got a great gpa, went on to SMU, got 2 rings, played his 4 years, and now works McKenzie consulting. To suggest you don’t get a decent education is wrong. Like anything you get out what you put in. My brother took all AP classes. His floormate Bo Scarborough took basket weaving and elementary english. IMG does a fantastic job physically developing their athletes, the acedemic side is the choice of the student just like normal highschool.

I love Miami football no end, but a school's first priority should be teaching kids, not athletics.

Just my opinion.

It doesn't beg the question of why there is an IMG. It begs the question of why aren't there MORE? If there is all this money involved in high school athletics, wouldn't there be at least 1 in every state in the country?

FSU holding spring ball @ IMG.....like UM (Michigan) did a couple of years ago......

Advertisement
Back