OT-Hypocrisy of the NCAA

Advertisement
Penny gave the appropriate response to the NCAA

FU.gif

Advertisement
I would've posted this in the b-ball forum, but this kind of relates to football:

So James Wiseman, the # 1 b-ball recruit for the class of 2019 was just ruled ineligible by the NCAA. James was very close to Penny; however, after probing, the NCAA found that Penny helped James and his family move to Memphis.

So here's my question; Calipari was running a dumb dirty program at Memphis, and it wasn't until Coach Cal moved to the fortress of UK that the NCAA punished Memphis, ONLY, as opposed to Coach Cal...how in tf could this be?

Saban just moved an entire family to Alabama from Hawaii, yet the NCAA says it was a "legit" move. How, Sway??

This SEC bias has to stop, and I hope Penny fights this tooth and nail. Wiseman just received a temporary injunction against the ruling by the NCAA to play tonight. I hope this all blows up in the NCAA's face.

Rule of the untouchables my friend. Saban and Cal have their pictures next to the definition of untouchable in Websters.

The NCAA is a dumpster fire of corruption starting at the very top with Emmert.

As to Penny, as much as I like the guy, there were a TON of whispers when he got hired that the Memphis basketball boosters were going to "work" overtime ensuring that he had top notch recruits to coach, like they did with Cal before. Sadly, this type of thing doesn't shock me at all.

Once the NCAA voted to allow the likeness pay, nobody respects them anymore. It’s just a matter of time before this stuff isn’t viewed as shady so they don’t care. Before that vote, no school in their right mind would’ve let the kid play last night, but Memphis did. If he is ruled ineligible, which he probably will be, they could ban Memphis from the tournament.

How the school deals with the investigation will go along way in determining what the NCAA does. Yall do yourself a favor and watch Bilas’ interview from last night, where he explains the rules on it. Crazy stuff man

Once the NCAA voted to allow the likeness pay, nobody respects them anymore. It’s just a matter of time before this stuff isn’t viewed as shady so they don’t care. Before that vote, no school in their right mind would’ve let the kid play last night, but Memphis did. If he is ruled ineligible, which he probably will be, they could ban Memphis from the tournament.

How the school deals with the investigation will go along way in determining what the NCAA does. Yall do yourself a favor and watch Bilas’ interview from last night, where he explains the rules on it. Crazy stuff man

I peeped that;

But what I feel is that the government is getting a little sick & tired of the NCAA’s inconsistencies. The NCAA may forget that politicians are fans as well (and per my relative’s ex father in law who’s a former circuit judge, undercover boosters).

The NCAA have their bylaws, which is fine; but when your bylaws are applicable to some schools, and not others....that starts ****ing fans off. Although shady, but reports from a disgraced lawyer comes out about Zion getting paid to go to Duke. That investigation lasted all but 10 secs, and never heard about again.

B/c of all the attention this is getting, I’m hoping the NCAA is completely exposed. Either Emmert steps down and the NCAA gets back on the “relative” right track, or it gets disbanded is my wish.

You know, in this day and age of the corrupt NCAA, I don't blame any school for saying ***** the tournament if it comes to that.

With Dewan, we had no business not playing him in my opinion. We likely weren't going to have much a season anyway, and definitely not without him. Freakin play the kid until you are told he is ineligible and give up post season basketball that you weren't going to play in anyway.

Advertisement
This is such a ridiculous ruling when you really think about it.

They're basically saying Penny could predict the future and knew for a fact he was going to be the Head Coach of Memphis years in advance.

They're also saying in essence that you cant coach a team you may have been a booster for.

I hope Memphis does exactly as Penny said last night and play the kid. Big statement for them to say we dgaf and will do right by our player.

Optics for the NCAA are awful on this one all the way around. It's a no win situation for them.

Nice breakdown here.

Call me crazy, but I think Memphis might come out on top of this one. NCAA doesnt want the kind of smoke they're about to get if they plow forward.

But make no mistake, Penny and what he represents have been targeted and a message is being sent.

The good ol boys hate the idea of ex NBA stars just stepping into a coaching job and dominating recruiting. Can you imagine for example Lebron or D Wade deciding they want to coach their sons and then hitting the recruiting trail to build a squad? Theyd have their pick of the litter. Even a guy like Haslem would clean up. The powers want to end such scenarios before they even begin.

So Wiseman was a strong Calipari Kentucky commit.

Then he switched to Memphis

NCAA reviews everything including the fact that Penny gave a million dollars to Memphis in 2008 and helped the Wiseman family move to Memphis with $11,000. In May, a couple of weeks after signing day they rule him eligible

On the day of his first game, the NCAA changes their view and rules him ineligible

Smells like a butthurt Calipari

Advertisement
It wasnt “many years ago”, and the issue isnt that Penny is his coach.

The issue is that Penny, a booster, paid the family 11k to move to Memphis in 2017. This helped secure his committment.

The reason Penny was made head coach was bc he has no problem paying players, and is adept at doing so. His “incredible recruiting” is bc they pay kids.

Patrick Ewing who is a much greater player than Penny ever was, didnt recruit like this. And he actually coached in the NBA for years.

The naivety that Penny, a booster at a multiple time dirty school, is securing the number one class bc he is an ex player is laughable.

It wasnt “many years ago”, and the issue isnt that Penny is his coach.

The issue is that Penny, a booster, paid the family 11k to move to Memphis in 2017. This helped secure his committment.

The reason Penny was made head coach was bc he has no problem paying players, and is adept at doing so. His “incredible recruiting” is bc they pay kids.

Patrick Ewing who is a much greater player than Penny ever was, didnt recruit like this. And he actually coached in the NBA for years.

The naivety that Penny, a booster at a multiple time dirty school, is securing the number one class bc he is an ex player is laughable.
The impermissible benefit occurred before Penny was the Memphis HC. Now, that doesnt necessarily make it acceptable, but this entire thing stinks and smells of retaliation and retribution. If Hardaway wasnt the Memphis coach, this wouldnt be an issue and Wiseman wouldnt be having a problem.

And the Ewing comparison falls flat imo. Ewing -- who I was a fan of (liked Hakeem more tho) -- doesnt have anywhere near the cred or popularity as Penny, whose shoe just as an example is arguably the second most iconic after Jordans. Ewing will never be able to recruit on Penny's level.

No one believes Hardaway has to pay players to land a commitment, and that's part of the problem some have. They view his and potentially others star wattage as an unfair advantage. You heard similar gripes about Coach K when he was the Team USA Coach.

It's crazy that no one makes the argument you make in your last paragraph about #1 recruiting classes at dirty schools with Cal at UK, Self at Kansas (watch them skate on their current case), or William's at UNC. These schools have histories far more dirty than Memphis, and no one bats an eye when they pull in #1 classes.

I wonder why.

The impermissible benefit occurred before Penny was the Memphis HC. Now, that doesnt necessarily make it acceptable, but this entire thing stinks and smells of retaliation and retribution. If Hardaway wasnt the Memphis coach, this wouldnt be an issue and Wiseman wouldnt be having a problem.

And the Ewing comparison falls flat imo. Ewing -- who I was a fan of (liked Hakeem more tho) -- doesnt have anywhere near the cred or popularity as Penny, whose shoe just as an example is arguably the second most iconic after Jordans. Ewing will never be able to recruit on Penny's level.

No one believes Hardaway has to pay players to land a commitment, and that's part of the problem some have. They view his and potentially others star wattage as an unfair advantage. You heard similar gripes about Coach K when he was the Team USA Coach.

It's crazy that no one makes the argument you make in your last paragraph about #1 recruiting classes at dirty schools with Cal at UK, Self at Kansas (watch them skate on their current case), or William's at UNC. These schools have histories far more dirty than Memphis, and no one bats an eye when they pull in #1 classes.

I wonder why.

Pay attention.

It is irrelevant that Penny was or wasnt the HC.

A Memphis booster paid a kids family to move and then he committed to them. THAT is the infraction.

Advertisement
I literally hoisted anartick
Pay attention.

It is irrelevant that Penny was or wasnt the HC.

A Memphis booster paid a kids family to move and then he committed to them. THAT is the infraction.
I literally posted an article stating exactly that.

I know what the infraction is. Its BS and theres enough grey area for Memphis to potentially get around it. If it was an issue the kid should've never been cleared in the first place.

An infraction is an infraction, but does anyone really think the NCAA would be saying anything if Wiseman went to Duke or UK?

Penny being the coach definitely is a HUGE unstated part of what's going on.

I peeped that;

But what I feel is that the government is getting a little sick & tired of the NCAA’s inconsistencies. The NCAA may forget that politicians are fans as well (and per my relative’s ex father in law who’s a former circuit judge, undercover boosters).

The NCAA have their bylaws, which is fine; but when your bylaws are applicable to some schools, and not others....that starts ****ing fans off. Although shady, but reports from a disgraced lawyer comes out about Zion getting paid to go to Duke. That investigation lasted all but 10 secs, and never heard about again.

B/c of all the attention this is getting, I’m hoping the NCAA is completely exposed. Either Emmert steps down and the NCAA gets back on the “relative” right track, or it gets disbanded is my wish.

That’s exactly right and I hope it gets exposed too. College sports used to be something really special before Emmert ruined it.

I just hope this vote is the ***** in the armor the NCAA needed to give some power back to the schools

You know, in this day and age of the corrupt NCAA, I don't blame any school for saying ***** the tournament if it comes to that.

With Dewan, we had no business not playing him in my opinion. We likely weren't going to have much a season anyway, and definitely not without him. Freakin play the kid until you are told he is ineligible and give up post season basketball that you weren't going to play in anyway.

I complained all last year about that. But of course we are always trying to kiss the feet of the NCAA so they won’t be too mean to us. F*** that man, we need to grow a pair and do what’s right for us and our kids, not trying to save face

That’s exactly right and I hope it gets exposed too. College sports used to be something really special before Emmert ruined it.

I just hope this vote is the ***** in the armor the NCAA needed to give some power back to the schools

100% Facts

Advertisement
Back