OT: How about an OTH (otherthanhiphop) music thread?

Craziest random Toto fact is that one of their later lead singers is composer John Williams -- yes, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Sunday Night Footall John Williams -- son.

Anyway, the Weezer (also a great band) cover of Africa is one of the better cover versions out there. There's a funny SNL bit with Matt Damon about it if you're ever bored.

Here's the live version.... They freaking kill it... and then Al comes out and seals the deal....

Advertisement
By chance was the Journey show at Miami Baseball Stadium with Areosmith , Sammy Hagar and Bryan Adams??? That happened to be a friend of mines first show when he was 12... I hadn't moved to Florida yet but he always told me about the show after we met when I moved here...
First one me and him saw together was Quiet Riot and Wasp at Sunrise Musical theater in 83... We we're 13... That was awesome... LOL.
I saw Quiet Riot and Wasp in 86.

Advertisement
It's amazing that as young as Michael was here he had more talent than anyone on the planet.... I'm just gonna leave it at that...
Most talented ever.

Later Jackson 5 albums were pure R&B and some of the most sampled in hip hop history. Every rap fan will recognize this melody.

Same album also had this sampled classic that every Wu fan knows.

How good was Mike tho? Take a song like Can You Feel It. That's a great song for the first min, but then Mike explodes on the chorus and his vocals elevate it to classic status, and the thing with Mike is his talent is so effortless. Like this dude ain't even trying. You can see it in a song like Somebody's Watching Me where he's also on the hook.

Advertisement
Most talented ever.

Later Jackson 5 albums were pure R&B and some of the most sampled in hip hop history. Every rap fan will recognize this melody.

How good was Mike tho? Take a song like Can You Feel It. That's a great song for the first min, but then Mike explodes on the chorus and his vocals elevate it to classic status, and the thing with Mike is his talent is so effortless. Like this dude ain't even trying. You can see it in a song like Somebody's Watching Me where he's also on the hook.

I remember when Rockwell came out.. Berry wanted his kid to be the next big thing so bad... Even with Mike backing him up he went nowhere...
I didn't want to get to much into Mike as he grew because we know how that went... after Thriller Mike went off the rails and never came back so I like remembering what first drew me to his music....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ok I'm only putting this cause as a kid I knew the song but never imagined as I grew up that who was in this band would come back to slap me in the face.... This is just hysterical that you know who is the back up singer here.... Just watch it and laugh.. It's great..

Advertisement
Back