OT: How about an OTH (otherthanhiphop) music thread?

Man I was running a corporate yacht for the guy who owned the Detroit Tigers and Domino's Pizza in the 80s. We docked at a place in Detroit called the Rooster Tail on the River - it had three floors of catering facilities. The owner told me to come up one night, that Gil Scot Heron was playing. Maybe 100 people, private party. So I got to sit at the bar. He'd came over in between sets and chatted a little with us, he even talked some politics - **** cool him chatting with a dark tan white guy. Guy had an amazing voice and was a street poet. Very under appreciated artist and activist. Somewhere I have a cassette with his set that night that the board guy recorded for $20.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Kamasi Washington is a newer jazz sax player on the scene and his **** gets out there like Miles in his acid jazz period, but also has some bebop to him too. This is him performing a full album live...

Bringin' the Geeze Baby! Like eating potato chips can't do just one.

Start with one the Host Republic of Vietnam banned their guests, the American Armed Forces, from playing on Armed Forces Radio or at Firebases. First rock song ever started with a bass riff.

Steely Dan - one of my favorites.

Advertisement
I remember the song Baker Street coming on Y-100 or WSHE or Zeta 4 back in 78 when I was a kid and was sick for a few days reading a couple of books. Just hearing that song brings me right back to that exact time and place.
WSHE -,She’s only rock and roll. Man , does that bring back memories. Zeta 4 was a little edgier.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back