OT: Good read on USC search

Advertisement
Wait, are you talking about the private school with a strong football tradition that’s in a large city that actually gives a crap about its football team? The one that fired their train wreck coach BEFORE it was too late and it killed? Must be nice.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Amazing. Manny not on the list. Come on So Cal. He has over 2 years as a head coach at a private school in a major metropolitan area. Please take him away from us.

Advertisement
Wait, are you talking about the smaller, private school with a strong football tradition that’s in a large city that actually gives a crap about its football team? The one that fired their train wreck coach BEFORE it was too late and it killed? Must be nice.
I keep hearing this, but is that only because he was fired early in the season. This was his 7th year at USC and has been on the hot seat for 4 of those.
They weren’t exactly trigger happy in removing him. USC have been criticised for years about their poor administrative hires and their apparent lack of care for the football team. I don’t get how USC haven’t cared for years, but with one early season firing, they now do care.
Obviously Georgia Southern care the most, they fired their coach first.

Wait, are you talking about the smaller, private school with a strong football tradition that’s in a large city that actually gives a crap about its football team? The one that fired their train wreck coach BEFORE it was too late and it killed? Must be nice.

Dude was on the hot seat for about six years, even after they changed AD’s a few years ago.

Not saying he's not the guy, but this was the rationale for Golden
And it was bull chit. Golden was a sub .500 coach & lost more games in his final yr at Temple, than the yr prior to him coming here. Never won a bowl game. It was a **** poor decision. I’m kinda iffy on G5 team coaches, but this dude has fired moved up the ranks organically & have transformed every team no matter the division. I’m not saying he’ll be him, but that’s kinda how Urban was.

Advertisement
Wait, are you talking about the private school with a strong football tradition that’s in a large city that actually gives a crap about its football team? The one that fired their train wreck coach BEFORE it was too late and it killed? Must be nice.
USC is a big school. They kept Helton for 7 years. At least follow other schools

I keep hearing this, but is that only because he was fired early in the season. This was his 7th year at USC and has been on the hot seat for 4 of those.
They weren’t exactly trigger happy in removing him. USC have been criticised for years about their poor administrative hires and their apparent lack of care for the football team. I don’t get how USC haven’t cared for years, but with one early season firing, they now do care.
Obviously Georgia Southern care the most, they fired their coach first.
His Head coaching record was 46-24, 36-13 in conference. Last year they only played 6 games and he went 5-1, so that doesn’t really count as a season. His “first” year he went 5-4, but he took over for Sark and was the interim, so that doesn’t count either.

In 2016 they went 10-3, 7-2 in conference, and won the Rose Bowl and finished ranked #3 AP.
In 2017 they went 11-3, 8-1 in conference, which included a Cotton Bowl loss, and finished #12 AP.
2018 was his truly bad year, he went 5-7, 4-5 in conference.
2019, his last full season was 8-5, but 7-2 in conference and included a Holiday Bowl Loss, and finished #22 AP.

That’s 4 full season of going 34-18, 26-10 in conference with 3 end of season top-25’s and 1 top 5.

Compare that to Mandy, who is 16-13, 11-7 in conference. Only ranked season- last year #22 AP. If Mandy had made two top-5 bowls and finished the year #3 and #12 (#10 coaches) do you think people would be so ****ed? No.

USC fans were ****ed after two bad years that followed two pretty damned good ones. We have had two pretty crappy ones, maybe you can say last year was “ok” and now are a train wreck.

See the difference???

Dude was on the hot seat for about six years, even after they changed AD’s a few years ago.
USC is a big school. They kept Helton for 7 years. At least follow other schools
See my reply above. Dude had pretty good success. Even if you’re generous and you count his first year as interim as a season, then they really kept him 5 seasons. You can’t count last season of 6 games as a season, nor this season. They had him as Head Coach for 4 real seasons.

Advertisement
Wasn't the rationale behind Golden that he turned Temple around?

As I recall he recruited the **** of out that conference - albeit he had one of the bigger budgets - but still lost to teams he shouldn't have lost to?
Exactly. He had the biggest recruiting budget yearly in that conference and still couldn’t win it.

Another fun fact about Norvell: at Memphis he had the last few years the top recruiting budget among all G5 programs. So his continuation of Fuentes success may have been even more inflated when you factor in the nearly every team they beat in G5 didn’t have the same recruiting budget.

See my reply above. Dude had pretty good success. Even if you’re generous and you count his first year as interim as a season, then they really kept him 5 seasons. You can’t count last season of 6 games as a season, nor this season. They had him as Head Coach for 4 real seasons.
Lmfao what now? We doing our special math now lol

Luke Fickel

1633476773099.png

Adam Sandler

1633476894133.png

Advertisement
Back