OT Gary Patterson

I wasn't there obviously, don't know if this is true, but in my most honest opinion this kid sounds soft AF.

Not excusing Patterson for saying the N word, that's never okay & if he did say that even in that context whatever punishment comes from that he'll deserve, he should know better...

But this kid just comes off like a ***** I'm sorry & I say that as a Black man that is in full support of players having the freedom & courage to speak up about whatever issues they've been going through.

Coaches being verbally or physically abusive are POS who deserve to get fired, I don't think that applies to Patterson in this situation but in general as a Coach you have to treat your players with respect & not like livestock. I hate coaches who have an ego trip & don't appreciate the sacrifice these players make laying their bodies on the line for them. Fuente for instance is an example of a POS coach. I just don't however think Patterson fits into that category just based on this incident if true.

Agreed. Seems like the kid is overly sensitive and looking to deflect responsibility.

Life is tough. .... Be tougher.

By the way, I also think the "N-Word" controversy is not only too convenient a crutch, it manifests a bigger cultural problem. My college roommate and one of my best friends at Yale, (who was african american and grew up in a really rough area of DC) once said to me in a serous conversation:

"I don't get it"

When you asked him about what he "didn't get", he said:

"it's a heinous word. it's demeaning. why are we the only ethnic minority, or any ethnic group in the history of the world that uses it signature racial epithet as some badge of honor? Who does that benefit? Why are we creating false legitimacy? When would you ever hear an asian person use the "*****" word, or a ****** person use the "****" word when referring to someone else. it's just offensive. Trying to make it mean something other than what it is, will be a problem. not just for black people, but for others as well."

this was years ago, before BLM, Kaepernick, and the sea change in african american (and the larger) society.

p.s. after he said this to me, I thought about it, paused for a good minute, looked him straight in the eye, and said: "i feel you, my ninja."

at which point he started to laugh so hard he began to hyperventilate.

Advertisement
Agreed. Seems like the kid is overly sensitive and looking to deflect responsibility.

Life is tough. .... Be tougher.

By the way, I also think the "N-Word" controversy is not only too convenient a crutch, it manifests a bigger cultural problem. My college roommate and one of my best friends at Yale, (who was african american and grew up in a really rough area of DC) once said to me in a serous conversation:

"I don't get it"

When you asked him about what he "didn't get", he said:

"it's a heinous word. it's demeaning. why are we the only ethnic minority, or any ethnic group in the history of the world that uses it signature racial epithet as some badge of honor? Who does that benefit? Why are we creating false legitimacy? When would you ever hear an asian person use the "*****" word, or a ****** person use the "****" word when referring to someone else. it's just offensive. Trying to make it mean something other than what it is, will be a problem. not just for black people, but for others as well."

this was years ago, before BLM, Kaepernick, and the sea change in african american (and the larger) society.

p.s. after he said this to me, I thought about it, paused for a good minute, looked him straight in the eye, and said: "i feel you, my ninja."

at which point he started to laugh so hard he began to hyperventilate.
Double-standards create larger issues, simple as that.

Jimmy recommended him if I'm not mistaken.

Pretty funny that the two dudes Jimmy recommended -- who would've killed it here and won Championships I believe -- both stepped in it this offseason. The other guy Jimmy recommended was Gundy before we settled on Richt.

Gundy can coach but his personality would be a disaster here in recruiting and with the admin and boosters. Mullen would have been a better hire than that

Gundy can coach but his personality would be a disaster here in recruiting and with the admin and boosters. Mullen would have been a better hire than that
The only coaches I remember our administration and most of the boosters liking were Al and Mark. They lied to Howard, hated JJ, were embarrassed to seen at a event with Dennis and well, have they taken any of the three chances to hire back the greatest recruiter in history? Heck, they ran off Lou Saban, who had a lot to do with Howard's success, for the slimest of reasons. Them not liking a coach is reason enough to give him a shot. The average 2 year old could pick better coaches than those aholes.

Advertisement
Back