OT: Ex-Bama players think Bama teams could win in NFL

RadioRahim

Recruit
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/23/c...ban-reggie-ragland-marcell-dareus-mark-ingram

Have a ton of respect for Bama, but I think it's absolutely ludicrous and myopic to think that ANY college football team could beat an NFL team! Even the 2001 Canes team that was LOADED needed time for those players to develop - along with plenty of players who also didn't make it to the NFL. And even the worst pro team has collegiate stars at almost every position. What does the group think? Could a college football team win anything beyond a fluke against pro teams?

Also, I found it so amusing to hear all this junk when Bama players don't necessarily become stars upon coming into the NFL. Nothing but respect for their dominance in college football, but that success hasn't always translated to the big leagues.

Advertisement
Bama wouldn't win, these guys know it, too. Vegas came out with a mythical point spread earlier this year for Bama versus the Buffalo Bills...

...and the line was Buffalo -28.5.

Put that in perspective: when Michigan lost at home against Appalachian State, they were only favored by 34. So a 28.5 point underdog, while possible, isn't beating the favorite 99% of the time.

Advertisement
To compound off OP's post. The 2001 Canes team was the most talented team, and even they likely wouldn't have beaten one NFL team in 2001. Think about it, that team had 4/5 potential NFL HOFers in it as well - Reed and Gore are for sure going to get in. Andre Johnson's a guy that will probably have to wait a bit. Then you look at Wilfork and he's another guy that could probably get in later on down the line. Let's not forget Sean Taylor given that his trajectory had him going down that road as well. With Bama, most of their players are just average and peak out in college, where few shine.

If I was an eccentric multi billionaire I'd set up a game to settle this once and for all. The second string of the worst NFL team vs. Bama (or 2001 era Miami, or whoever is supposedly an unstoppable college team). I'd set the betting line at -35. The backups on any NFL team would annihilate even the best college team.

Then I would take note of anyone who actually bet on Bama to win and have them all sterilized for the good of humanity.

Last edited:
no college team is beating an NFL team. if any college team could do it it would have been our 2001 team.
people need to stop. how many college starters can make it to league

Part of why crappy NFL teams are crappy is they lack coaching and aren't always the most motivated, talent aside. That's why a team like the Bills will beat the Jets 41-10, but also lose to Baltimore 47-3. They clearly brought a different effort in each of those games. But you can bet the house that if an NFL team was going up against a college team, you're getting their absolute best effort. They would show up and show out, wanting to embarrass the college team.

Advertisement
This is a dumb conversation that pops up all the time. The worst NFL team would completely dominate the best college team, always.

They drug test in the NFL so no. Also does that mean Citadel can play the NFL close for a half too?

This is a dumb conversation that pops up all the time. The worst NFL team would completely dominate the best college team, always.

Yep, and for those who doubt and want a challenge, I made a decision years and years ago to stop ******* with the Pros. After about 2 years of this, I sat down to catch the first half of a pro game, and was amazed at the speed, timing, violence, and accuracy of the pro game. Settled that age old question for me.

-
For those who know, and remember: the 80's Canes actually used to scrimmage with the Dolphins, and the consensus of those who watched those scrimmages was that the Canes did notably well (which was vague at best; but not beyond room for thought that the Canes weren't blown out). Does that mean Alabama can do it now, I don't know know: that's not what I'm saying. I'm simply saying the hypothetical at one point was more than that; but that doesn't have to end speculation as to what would happen now...

Advertisement
I laughed at people saying previous Bama teams were better than UM 01. However I think this Bama team might be the best ever. I think the biggest BS surrounding that team is not the players they bring in, but the players they bring back every year. We’re talking multiple players who are 1st or 2nd day picks who pass up millions of dollars to return to school. In 2015 they won a Natty yet Allen, Foster and OJ Howard who were all mocked in 1st round all returned to school. What for? Yet schools across the nation lose kids who are happy just to get drafted, Norton for example. Saban is in bed with the NCAA and quite honestly has ruined college football.

I laughed at people saying previous Bama teams were better than UM 01. However I think this Bama team might be the best ever. I think the biggest BS surrounding that team is not the players they bring in, but the players they bring back every year. We’re talking multiple players who are 1st or 2nd day picks who pass up millions of dollars to return to school. In 2015 they won a Natty yet Allen, Foster and OJ Howard who were all mocked in 1st round all returned to school. What for? Yet schools across the nation lose kids who are happy just to get drafted, Norton for example. Saban is in bed with the NCAA and quite honestly has ruined college football.
No, they're not better than the 2001 Canes. This is a very, very weak SEC compared to what it's been over the past 12 or so years. The fact the conference is so weak is inflating Bama's results. Yes, they have the best QB they have had since Saban took over, but they lost too much NFL talent the past two years to think this particular Bama team is the greatest team ever. Besides, there's a lot of football left. Don't crown them too soon, Clemson could take them out, as could Georgia.

Bama would get killed. We’re talking about grown men vs. boys. They would get pushed around and murdered by the worst NFL team. Wouldn’t stand a chance, wouldn’t even be close. I love college ball, it’s 1000x better than NFL IMO, but the level of athletes is nowhere close. These Bama rednecks are out of there minds.

Advertisement
No matter how good Alabama gets, or how bad an NFL team is, at the end of the day the NFL team is 100% NFL caliber players, and Alabama is only a portion NFL players.

Worst NFL team smokes them easily.

No, they're not better than the 2001 Canes. This is a very, very weak SEC compared to what it's been over the past 12 or so years. The fact the conference is so weak is inflating Bama's results. Yes, they have the best QB they have had since Saban took over, but they lost too much NFL talent the past two years to think this particular Bama team is the greatest team ever. Besides, there's a lot of football left. Don't crown them too soon, Clemson could take them out, as could Georgia.
I forgot the Big East was loaded with powerhouse teams in 2001. Mighty Syracuse had the ball inside the 20 with a chance to win. What’s the closest game Bama has played 24 points? Just being real dude.

Advertisement
Back