OT: Eddie Robinson Jr was right?

FAMU started a fundraiser like Clemson's IPTAY in 2014, raised $500K in 4 months. Problem was, that there wasn't any followup by their Development Office...SMH. We have the resources, means, &wherewithal Bro, we just choose to buy LVs, Red Bottoms, & Rims!
White people buy luxury goods. Much more. That’s not the real issue.

$500,000? Seriously? Non HBCUs are building facilities that cost in the hundreds of millions and you are talking about hundreds of thousands. You proved my point.

Advertisement
White people buy luxury goods. Much more. That’s not the real issue.

$500,000? Seriously? Non HBCUs are building facilities that cost in the hundreds of millions and you are talking about hundreds of thousands. You proved my point.

We can't compete against those big time non-HBCUs now, but we can get to the point where we're competing against the FAUs & FIUs of the world.

There was a correlation if you don’t see it that’s ok and we can move on. I’ll go ahead and “sit this one out” as I don’t enjoy message board arguments. I’ll stick to the football on the main board. Which this thread should probably be moved to OT anyway.

Yeah you were insinuating that black billionaires should be bank rolling HBCUs they did not attend and you don’t want to discuss it because it goes into deep facts that certain people don’t like to see or admit.

I gave you an easy way out and you took it. Good day sir.

Yeah you were insinuating that black billionaires should be bank rolling HBCUs they did not attend and you don’t want to discuss it because it goes into deep facts that certain people don’t like to see or admit.

I gave you an easy way out and you took it. Good day sir.
Not what I was insinuating at all. Have a good one my cane brother.

Advertisement
We can't compete against those big time non-HBCUs now, but we can get to the point where we're competing against the FAUs & FIUs of the world.

Now this I can agree with. As a people we need more vision and patience. But you have to go deep into the WHY do we do certain things. We have a problem dealing with the obstacles in our path because we only see the surface.

Josh Pate made some points last night.

Held up a blank paper with a list of names of any sane person who would turn down the opportunity to continue coaching at a HBCU for $300,000.00/yr. when they could elevate themselves coaching at a P5 for $5,000,000.00/yr. Money is a trump card in most business deals and not a single damned one of you would turn down a raise of $4.7 million a year and increased status coaching in the most competitive level of college football so you can make a social statement. I'm sorry but any of you can claim that you would but no one is actually going to when put in that situation; so why then should anyone expect him to stay there at Jackson State? Give him his dues. He's done a lot already for that program but he's not the only talented up-and-coming black coach to carry on the torch. Let someone else fill the gap he leaves.

What’s up my boy; listen I’m not taking a shot at u, so pls understand that.

I think u, Josh, & some other posters r missing the point of why ppl r bitter w/in that community. I don’t think anyone thought Deion was going to be a HBCU lifer, nor do I think anyone believed he wouldn’t eventually leave. In fact, leaving the HBCU scene to an elevated position is actually good for that community in regards to coaching.

The rub is that Deion went out of his way several times to thumb his nose at bigger institutions, went out of his way to bring God in to the equation upon taking the job, & to state this was his calling. When you do & say those things w/in a community that’s filled w/ a faith base, u’re tugging at heart strings. So for him to be there for 2 yrs, & in yr 3, literally start campaigning about taking another job if offered during the middle of the season, to then take a job at an institution u just thumbed ur nose at appears hypocritical & salacious.

It’s the antics prior to, putting him on this high horse of reform, just to use that as a platform for himself that got the feathers ruffled, not him leaving. There’s two totally different situations going on, but b/c we live in the now, ppl often forget about yesterday. Yesterday, Deion was like ‘I’m here w/ my ppl’s, God led me here, tired of these other institutions taking our athletes when they belong here in the HBCU’. Today? ‘I’m outta here ya’ll, & I’m rich bytch.’ Lol

Last edited:
Having breakfast this morning with Carter I mentioned Deion Sanders was going to be Colorado's next head coach, and he asked imo a really good question.

"Why is he leaving? What happened to the whole HBCU thing he was doing? If I were Travis Hunter I'd be mad."

Does the whole thing he did there and what he was pitching now look funny in the light now that he's going somewhere that he was trying to convince young black players not to go to? To come to a HBCU and lift it up?
1670261712169.jpeg

Advertisement
FAMU started a fundraiser like Clemson's IPTAY in 2014, raised $500K in 4 months. Problem was, that there wasn't any followup by their Development Office...SMH. We have the resources, means, & wherewithal Bro, we just choose to buy LVs, Red Bottoms, & Rims!

U actually make a good point; but even that is a deeper issue, which it’s a totally different subject. But if imma be honest, $500k, ****, $5m at the University level compared to $100’s of millions - billions is still a huge disparity.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Went there for a couple of years, life got in the way, and I finished up at FIU, so kinda LOL.

I consider FAMU my family school because it is the first school anybody in my family got a degree from.

I would be an alum if I wasn’t such a knucklehead lol. I want to finish my degree there but Trailerhassee ain’t really where I want to live. It will be BCU or maybe Flagler unless I find an online option.

He was very right!! Deion should have used a different choice of words! He looks like the typical aa hustler of the community!

What’s up my boy; listen I’m not taking a shot at u, so pls understand that.

I think u, Josh, & some other posters r missing the point of why ppl r bitter w/in that community. I don’t think anyone thought Deion was going to be a HBCU lifer, nor do I think anyone believed he wouldn’t eventually leave. In fact, leaving the HBCU scene to an elevated position is actually good for the HBCU community in regards to coaching.

The rub is that Deion went out of his way several times to thumb his nose at bigger institutions; went out of his way to bring God in to the equation upon taking the job, went out of his way to state his calling. When you do those things w/in a community that’s filled w/ a faith base, u’re tugging at heart strings. So for him to be there for 2 yrs, & in yr 3, literally start campaigning about taking another job if offered during the middle of the season, to then take a job at an institution u just thumbed ur nose at appears hypocritical & salacious.

It’s the antics prior to, putting him on this high horse of reform, just to use that as a platform for himself that got the feathers ruffled, not him leaving. There’s two totally different situations going on, but b/c we live in the now, ppl often forget about yesterday. Yesterday, Deion was like ‘I’m here w/ my ppl’s, God led me here, tired of these other institutions taking our athletes when they belong here in the HBCU’. Today? ‘I’m outta here ya’ll, & I’m rich bytch.’ Lol

We got a rapport where you can take a shot at me--I don't get shook easily. I got respect for you and your posts. tl:dr section below.

I can get with what you are saying and I'll put a little more weight on the consideration for his comments made to the Jackson community. You have valid points and I agree that those statements he made probably should have been kept to himself at the least--or family or a faith leader. He may have done some reputational damage on the way out the door. I am not without empathy for the folks connected to JSU and other HBCUs that feel Sanders' departure is akin to betrayal. I would be disappointed that my team lost probably the most successful coach they have had in 15 years, too.

So I'm trying to put myself in his shoes--comments and behavior aside. If someone placed an offer of a multimillion-dollar salary increase in front of me, I could only think of only two things I refuse that offer for--if I was asked to abandon my faith in Christ or asked to abandon my family. I don't care about anything else I'm taking that offer and my family is about to eat. None of us will likely never experience the gravity of making such a life-changing decision so I will never know what that is like. Perhaps he was right when he said was called on by God to JSU and what he had accomplished there in three years was all that was asked of him--we will never know why things happened the way they do--just me playing the advocate.

After considering your post, to me this entire saga is a story about various groups experiencing the "victim of success" situation with a few self-inflicted wounds.
  • Sanders success as a coach at JSU caused programs in need to throw big cash his way. Had Sanders gone 5-27 instead of 27-5 over 3 years I think a lot of people might be ready to move on quicker and he would have never been consider for Colorado. Thus he would have either kept the job or at the very least his departure would not be held with the same level of betrayal met today.
  • JSUs success as a team gave them a huge stage to showcase themselves as a school. The bigger the rise, the bigger the fall. The success on the field translated to becoming victim of losing coaches off it. It was an eventuality that other programs with bottomless amounts of booster money and endowments and a vacancy were going lure talented coaching away with "Can't-say-no" incentives. Had JSU gone 5-27, I think Deion starts prepping for his 4th year.
  • Because of JSU recent successes and clout, there fans likely have felt a little more emboldened lately in close to a generation. I find in life that the higher the experience of success, the harder it hurts when you know that success is coming unglued. We've experienced that here at Miami. National titles to barely .500 seasons. It hurts when you've won before. Some teams today that aren't in the running for a chip that we typically see are dour right now.
I think another important point to make is that as long as a next level upgrade exists, there will always be a probability and threat that talent might move up to the next level. As an HBCU, until there is near perfect parity between those schools and FCS/FBS, they will always be at a disadvantage to talent retention--regardless of any personal feelings someone has regarding their reasoning for being there--be it faith, a calling, whichever. Someone somewhere will always be ready to throw fat cash stacks at the next JSU coach that goes ham in the SWAC. That threat will always be there and it will take someone extremely principled, dedicated, content and accepting of the lack of resources provided to them to resist those temptations. I know I wouldn't have it in me to do that and 99% of people wouldn't--hence the "someone special" part. As for the relationship between external incentivization and talent retention with respect to current condition exists--my guess without hard data to look at is that this relationship is negative.

The quote section below goes down the rabbit hole.
Claim: If a "next level" exists and as incentivization increases, the ability to retain talent decreases.

We're dealing with people and decisions, so I like to frame these kinds of scenarios into a biological/psychological point of view. Say you are an unmarried male bread-maker (the talent retention response variable) and you have a girlfriend who is a ride-or-die chick who has your back, doesn't spend your money, takes care of all your needs, doesn't have a body count in the double digits, etc. She is possessing an incentive for you to keep her around because she has disincentivized the rest of the field of troublesome *******. In that case a next level might exist--whether that is marriage or a better woman (attractive, behavior, etc.)

tl:dr.
I think both sides of argument have valid positions. It was a tough decision to make, further the HBCU branding crusade or get paid. If we were in the exact same position as coach Sanders with all of the baggage concerning comments he made, we probably would have also chosen Colorado too. Learning lesson for Coach, be mindful of making statements; particularly with how sensitive the community would be to religious or faith-related statements of his presence being divinely inspired. He brought success to the program that has been lacking for a decade, brought national attention through recruiting flips to college gamedays, and inspired a sect within a generation of young men to at least give those HBCU's a look; while enriching his coaching reputation and worth. Success should be rewarded, but he should try and keep from damaging his reputation while he hustles. I feel for the fans that have to see their coach go and follow the money that their school doesn't have the resources to provide to retain. Rellyrell is alright.

We got a rapport where you can take a shot at me--I don't get shook easily. I got respect for you and your posts. tl:dr section below.

I can get with what you are saying and I'll put a little more weight on the consideration for his comments made to the Jackson community. You have valid points and I agree that those statements he made probably should have been kept to himself at the least--or family or a faith leader. He may have done some reputational damage on the way out the door. I am not without empathy for the folks connected to JSU and other HBCUs that feel Sanders' departure is akin to betrayal. I would be disappointed that my team lost probably the most successful coach they have had in 15 years, too.

So I'm trying to put myself in his shoes--comments and behavior aside. If someone placed an offer of a multimillion-dollar salary increase in front of me, I could only think of only two things I refuse that offer for--if I was asked to abandon my faith in Christ or asked to abandon my family. I don't care about anything else I'm taking that offer and my family is about to eat. None of us will likely never experience the gravity of making such a life-changing decision so I will never know what that is like. Perhaps he was right when he said was called on by God to JSU and what he had accomplished there in three years was all that was asked of him--we will never know why things happened the way they do--just me playing the advocate.

After considering your post, to me this entire saga is a story about various groups experiencing the "victim of success" situation with a few self-inflicted wounds.
  • Sanders success as a coach at JSU caused programs in need to throw big cash his way. Had Sanders gone 5-27 instead of 27-5 over 3 years I think a lot of people might be ready to move on quicker and he would have never been consider for Colorado. Thus he would have kept either kept the job or at the very least his departure would not be held with the same level of betrayal met today.
  • JSUs success as a team gave them a huge stage to showcase themselves as a school. The bigger the rise, the bigger the fall. The success on the field mean victim of losing coaches off it. It was an eventuality that other programs with bottomless amounts of booster money and endowments and a vacancy were going lure talented coaching away with "Can't-say-no" incentives. Had JSU gone 5-27, I think Deion starts prepping for his 4th year.
  • Because of JSU recent successes and clout, there fans likely have felt a little more emboldened lately in close to a generation. I find in life that the higher the experience of success, the harder it hurts when you know that success is coming unglued. We've experienced that here at Miami. National titles to barely .500 seasons. It hurts when you've won before. Some teams today that aren't in the running for a chip that we typically see are dour right now.
I think another important point to make is that as long as a next level upgrade exists, there will always be a probability and threat that talent might move up to the next level. As an HBCU, until there is near perfect parity between those schools and FCS/FBS, they will always be at a disadvantage to talent retention--regardless of any personal feelings someone has regarding their reasoning for being there--be it faith, a calling, whichever. Someone somewhere will always be ready to throw fat cash stacks at the next JSU coach that goes ham in the SWAC. That threat will always be there and it will take someone extremely principled, dedicated, content and accepting of the lack of resources provided to them to resist those temptations. I know I wouldn't have it in me to do that and 99% of people wouldn't--hence the "someone special" part. As for the relationship between external incentivization and talent retention with respect to current condition exists--my guess without hard data to look at is that this relationship is negative.

The quote section below goes down the rabbit hole.

tl:dr.
I think both sides of argument have valid positions. It was a tough decision to make, further the HBCU branding crusade or get paid. If we were in the exact same position as coach Sanders with all of the baggage concerning comments he made, we probably would have also chosen Colorado too. Learning lesson for Coach, be mindful of making statements; particularly with how sensitive the community would be to religious or faith-related statements of his presence being divinely inspired. He brought success to the program that has been lacking for a decade, brought national attention through recruiting flips to college gamedays, and inspired a sect within a generation of young men to at least give those HBCU's a look; while enriching his coaching reputation and worth. Success should be rewarded, but he should try and keep from damaging his reputation while he hustles. I feel for the fans that have to see their coach go and follow the money that their school doesn't have the resources to provide to retain. Rellyrell is alright.

Excellent points; that’s y my initial post was I was iffy on the matter. I understand both sides of the argument. I’m not mad at him elevating himself to the next level, just a bit ehhh w/ how he accepted the gig in the first place, just to leave it so soon.

Advertisement
Back