OT: Eddie Robinson Jr was right?

Having breakfast this morning with Carter I mentioned Deion Sanders was going to be Colorado's next head coach, and he asked imo a really good question.

"Why is he leaving? What happened to the whole HBCU thing he was doing? If I were Travis Hunter I'd be mad."

Does the whole thing he did there and what he was pitching now look funny in the light now that he's going somewhere that he was trying to convince young black players not to go to? To come to a HBCU and lift it up?
Just typical Dion BS, he's credibility to gain trust is out da door!

Advertisement
Man problem with OUR people is ypu can't please them and folks can't wait to be negative. Yall do know he and the AD were trying to get alot done but the higher ups didn't wanna hear it. Deion all year mentioned issues and how the football program needed funding. They'd rather have 3 or 4 classics a year which doesn't benefit the football team financially instead of home games where the football team gets revenue and so does local businesses. Alot of HBCUs focus on bands and other BS over football and have a **** plan for football. He was fed up with the board and others. 87 percent of JSU alumni don't donate. He was trying to come in with a business perspective to help. Then you have crabs in the barrel coaches like Robinson mad because he came out late and walked around the field which he's done always. Another part of what Prime did is something he's spoke on too. Lack of black coaches in P5.

I disagree with one thing, he hasn’t done all he can. Dude opted out of the fcs playoffs. His team got smoked last year in the playoffs. His reasoning for this year was to bring more attention to HBCU bowl games lol, then he bolts for Colorado after beating up on Southern university. Dude knew his team would get smoked by equal or better competition, he’s all about making himself look good though . Let’s see how he does in Colorado.

Having breakfast this morning with Carter I mentioned Deion Sanders was going to be Colorado's next head coach, and he asked imo a really good question.

"Why is he leaving? What happened to the whole HBCU thing he was doing? If I were Travis Hunter I'd be mad."

Does the whole thing he did there and what he was pitching now look funny in the light now that he's going somewhere that he was trying to convince young black players not to go to? To come to a HBCU and lift it up?
Some ****’s are insufferable with the hate towards Prime! AND it’s IMO that some ****’s don’t want to see brutha’s get quality well paying jobs…

Advertisement
Some ****’s are insufferable with the hate towards Prime! AND it’s IMO that some ****’s don’t want to see brutha’s get quality well paying jobs…

Dude has more money that god at this point, between his years in the league, his broadcasting gig, his Geico ads with Saban, etc.

Nobody's ****ed at him for getting paid.

It's the fact pretended to be called by god to help out HBCUs and then hit the road for greener pastures as soon as he could. If he'd have kept his mouth shut, or at least not made a big deal about being called to lift up HBCUs, nobody would say a word against him.

What’s up my boy; listen I’m not taking a shot at u, so pls understand that.

I think u, Josh, & some other posters r missing the point of why ppl r bitter w/in that community. I don’t think anyone thought Deion was going to be a HBCU lifer, nor do I think anyone believed he wouldn’t eventually leave. In fact, leaving the HBCU scene to an elevated position is actually good for that community in regards to coaching.

The rub is that Deion went out of his way several times to thumb his nose at bigger institutions, went out of his way to bring God in to the equation upon taking the job, & to state this was his calling. When you do & say those things w/in a community that’s filled w/ a faith base, u’re tugging at heart strings. So for him to be there for 2 yrs, & in yr 3, literally start campaigning about taking another job if offered during the middle of the season, to then take a job at an institution u just thumbed ur nose at appears hypocritical & salacious.

It’s the antics prior to, putting him on this high horse of reform, just to use that as a platform for himself that got the feathers ruffled, not him leaving. There’s two totally different situations going on, but b/c we live in the now, ppl often forget about yesterday. Yesterday, Deion was like ‘I’m here w/ my ppl’s, God led me here, tired of these other institutions taking our athletes when they belong here in the HBCU’. Today? ‘I’m outta here ya’ll, & I’m rich bytch.’ Lol

Bruh, I don’t think it was that. Of course there had to be something beneficial for him, he wasn’t doing it for free but I think he was being genuine about improving the HBCU landscape. I mean since he was there he brought additional attention to the league, got blue chip recruits, donated half his salary to JSU, gave countless players a 2nd chance, and won. Matter of fact the SWAC commissioner said every school generated $9 mill in revenue and Sanders contributed to that. But he’s only one man.

Let’s also not act like dude was welcomed by every coach in the league. Eddie Robinson just got there talking about “he’s SWAC” and Deon ain’t. We some games. Recruit better. There are things that HBCUs need to work on that would have been impossible for Prime to accomplish by himself in 2 lifetimes.

Yea he called out PWIs and told kids to come to him. That’s all about recruiting. However, even with that the other schools have to carry their weight too. Prime could only do but so much. And an issue with the HBCUs is that they don’t recruit very well. They want the 5 & 4 stars but they don’t need that. There are some balling g5 players going to FIU, UTEP, Texas State, etc. but a lot of times they big time those players for all sorts of bizarre reasons. Deon can’t save that. ****, JSU previous President was caught in a scandal 6 months before prime came on. No one cared about that because he won. He changed the image for that.

We also have to keep in mind that a lot of stuff that he was preaching was unrealistic too. Yea you want to build up the HBCU landscape but it’s going to take a long time. His assistant coaches could not wait that long on their jsu salaries.

Advertisement
Bruh, I don’t think it was that. Of course there had to be something beneficial for him, he wasn’t doing it for free but I think he was being genuine about improving the HBCU landscape. I mean since he was there he brought additional attention to the league, got blue chip recruits, donated half his salary to JSU, gave countless players a 2nd chance, and won. Matter of fact the SWAC commissioner said every school generated $9 mill in revenue and Sanders contributed to that. But he’s only one man.

Let’s also not act like dude was welcomed by every coach in the league. Eddie Robinson just got there talking about “he’s SWAC” and Deon ain’t. We some games. Recruit better. There are things that HBCUs need to work on that would have been impossible for Prime to accomplish by himself in 2 lifetimes.

Yea he called out PWIs and told kids to come to him. That’s all about recruiting. However, even with that the other schools have to carry their weight too. Prime could only do but so much. And an issue with the HBCUs is that they don’t recruit very well. They want the 5 & 4 stars but they don’t need that. There are some balling g5 players going to FIU, UTEP, Texas State, etc. but a lot of times they big time those players for all sorts of bizarre reasons. Deon can’t save that. ****, JSU previous President was caught in a scandal 6 months before prime came on. No one cared about that because he won. He changed the image for that.

We also have to keep in mind that a lot of stuff that he was preaching was unrealistic too. Yea you want to build up the HBCU landscape but it’s going to take a long time. His assistant coaches could not wait that long on their jsu salaries.

Just saw this on social media:

Attachments

• BD7085F3-514D-438B-90CF-3C074026AAA6.jpeg
    BD7085F3-514D-438B-90CF-3C074026AAA6.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 18
I’m iffy on this topic @DHucks

I nvr attended a HBCU, but as a Greek, I’ve been to plenty of HBCU campuses. I know the history of HBCU & what they mean to our community, but also its underrated illustrious history to sports.

Here’s y I’m iffy:

It’s a person’s job to move up the ladder. If Deion was at any other FCS level school, built them up, brought notoriety to their program, & then moved to a better financial opportunity, there would be no fuss. It would be a “way to go, Coach Prime.” For that, I have no issues.

On the other side, Deion does so much got **** talking; &, so for him to gas up HBCU’s & point his finger at other institutions along w/ the young men for choosing those institutions over HBCU’s, JUST to go to one of these same institutions he was critical of, well now he looks like a hypocrite. In essence, what he did was not altruistic vs. a ploy to bring notoriety to himself.

That’s where I have a problem. If Sanders would’ve accepted a HBCU job as HC, talked about its history, his pride in being able to carry on its legacy, etc. then made a jump, I don’t think the fall out or call outs would be that great. It’s the finger pointing, convincing of young men to come there vs. a P5 b/c of him & what he’s trying to re-establish at the HBCU level, then leave…that’s the sour taste.
I agree. He's doing what every coach would do in his position except every coach didn't go all in on being an advocate and face of HBCUs.

It feels like a bit of double talk and abandonment convincing young men to come to Jackson State and turn down the exact same things He's leaving for.

Sanders said he'd be a fool to turn down a big payday and opportunity at the P5 level (paraphrasing). That’s exactly what some of his JS players did.

Man problem with OUR people is ypu can't please them and folks can't wait to be negative. Yall do know he and the AD were trying to get alot done but the higher ups didn't wanna hear it. Deion all year mentioned issues and how the football program needed funding. They'd rather have 3 or 4 classics a year which doesn't benefit the football team financially instead of home games where the football team gets revenue and so does local businesses. Alot of HBCUs focus on bands and other BS over football and have a **** plan for football. He was fed up with the board and others. 87 percent of JSU alumni don't donate. He was trying to come in with a business perspective to help. Then you have crabs in the barrel coaches like Robinson mad because he came out late and walked around the field which he's done always. Another part of what Prime did is something he's spoke on too. Lack of black coaches in P5.

Exactly! So many things behind the scenes. Man I work closely with HBCUs (send students there, send athletes there) although some are good there’s a lot of them that aren’t doing what they need to do. I could go in so much detail but I don’t think this is the space to do so. With all that being said, Prime had some lofty goals. He got some done but he couldn’t do it all by himself. The other schools needed to carry their weight too. And like you said, there were even things to JSU.

Man it’s so much that needs to be done that it’s crazy. I knew a coach at a smaller HBCU that was a former pro athlete. The school he decided to coach for used his face to bring in more students. Dude signed the largest recruiting class in said school history then took on an administrative role in athletics and brought on other athletes. All were expected to have scholarship money. The board decided to rescind all scholarships right before the fall semester started and those students had to rely on direct loans and pell grants. He couldn’t remain on that staff in good conscience so he told the HC and ad he was resigning. Now how could Prime resolve anything like that?

Advertisement
Just saw this on social media:

It’s my understanding that this is not uncommon at all. Not 100% sure on this because it’s not my area of expertise, but you might want to do a little digging on this. Not only are football profits taken to fund money losing sports, but if there’s enough surplus, they can go into the general fund. There’s nothing illegal about it. You may want to look into it. I’m not an expert on it but I believe that this is not unheard of. I’m not talking just about HBCUs, I’m talking about football programs in general, that generate income which is then used or put into other funds, which can sometimes even not be athletic funds. It’s all University money. Maybe someone that’s actually experienced in this area can chime in. Because I’m not so sure about the source that you’re using.

Advertisement
It’s my understanding that this is not uncommon at all. Not 100% sure on this because it’s not my area of expertise, but you might want to do a little digging on this. Not only are football profits taken to fund money losing sports, but if there’s enough surplus, they can go into the general fund. There’s nothing illegal about it. You may want to look into it. I’m not an expert on it but I believe that this is not unheard of. I’m not talking just about HBCUs, I’m talking about football programs in general, that generate income which is then used or put into other funds, which can sometimes even not be athletic funds. It’s all University money. Maybe someone that’s actually experienced in this area can chime in. Because I’m not so sure about the source that you’re using.

I'd also add, if the football team is generating revenue and the university decides to put some of that revenue into the general education and scholarship funds, wouldn't that mean more services and scholarship money for students at these HBCUs? Isn't that a good thing? Isn't that raising up the community? Why would that be cause to leave or get mad so long as the program was expanding (by all accounts it was) and the budgetary needs were met.

And just for fun, from his interview this March with Jay Williams (in response to whether he'd take the Forfeit State job if they came back around):
"If - would've, could've. I'm going to tell you something, man. I preach. I got to be where my feet are. And I'm where my feet are, man. Like, I'm in it. I'm in this thing, blue, red and white. I'm in this thing. And Jackson to the end, man - like, to the end, right? Like, I'm so locked in and so focused on being the best I could be, I don't fathom that."

Advertisement
Back