OT: Drew Brees...

Advertisement
The same organization that used a number one pick on Jake Long instead of Matt Ryan makes bad personnel decisions? :eek:

That and no Sean Payton.
Agree. As much as I hated the Phins passing on Brees, a lot his success can be attributed to Payton. Not taking anything away from Brees because he still has to makes the pays, but Payton plays to his strengths and created an offense that Brees could be great in.

Don't hold me to this but I think it was Danny Kanell's dad that was still a Fins team doctor at the time that either refused to clear Brees or gave a mixed review and that led to Sabag and others being skittish about signing him.

The same organization that used a number one pick on Jake Long instead of Matt Ryan makes bad personnel decisions? :eek:

Matt Ryan isnt that good of a player. Would be terrible here with our ol considering Brad Kayaa is faster

Advertisement
Saban didn't **** up. Saban wanted Drew Brees and tried everything to convince the Miami Dolphins front office that we needed Brees...But they said "nah, you haven't won enough games to make that decision yet". Which is why he left the organization right after saying he wouldn't leave for college.

I believe Brees:

Brees asked, “Coach, I know what your doctors believe about me. My question is, what do you believe? Do you believe that I can come back and be better than I was before and lead your team to a championship?”

“Nick Saban paused,” Brees wrote. “That was really all I needed to hear. His pause told me everything.”

I believe Brees:

Brees asked, “Coach, I know what your doctors believe about me. My question is, what do you believe? Do you believe that I can come back and be better than I was before and lead your team to a championship?”

“Nick Saban paused,” Brees wrote. “That was really all I needed to hear. His pause told me everything.”

The irony is that although Saban's public stance was to blame the doctors but say he still believed the situation was salvagable, he privately was blaming the team medical staff and repeating, "We should have gotten that guy, we should have gotten that guy," referring to Brees.

Saban was not, in fact, convinced Culpepper would ever be a Pro Bowl player again.

That was in October of 2006. By January 2007, Saban quit. By July 2007, Culpepper was cut.

Saban wanted Brees, but the team medical staff convinced the front office that Culpepper (also coming off an injury) was a better choice medically. That's why Brees was asked to do all these extra medical checks and ****, it wasn't Saban that did it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back