OT: Dave Doeren extended by NC State

They need to cap coaches salaries. Meanwhile, kids get to license their photos and likeness. Yeah.

Advertisement
Zero. But because some good players come from the area (North Carolina has some fertile recruiting ground: Charlotte, Burlington, Richmond County, Scotland County), they should be a "10-win team." And btw, North Carolina is a very good, but not a great high school football state. Well above average, but not as good as Virginia and not close to Georgia or Florida.
UNC and SEC schools own anything west of Greensboro. VT and UNC means more to Burlington to Greensboro area kids. Richmond and Scotland County have no allegiance to any one school, but they aren’t big on State. Anything east of Raleigh, epecially the bigger cities on the coast are kinda open bc they don’t put out much high level football talents, but UNC is the school of choice. Raleigh is the only area where kids give State a real look over UNC and it’s become so big with so many high schools, it’s starting to not matter. Everybody is coming here to recruit now. Oddly the most anti carolina sporting area for high school kids, is Chapel Hill.

I know some posters hate facts, but what, historically, demonstrates NC State as a consistent 10 win team?

Plus later posters discussed the reality of what they have to work wth.

Look at their schedule, and then the QBs and DL they have produced recently and tell me they can’t consistently win 10 games yearly.

They play Syracuse, BC, Wake, and FSU yearly. Thats 4 easy wins a year plus 4 non conference wins. They just need to win 2 of the remaining 5 (bowl game included).

Look at their schedule, and then the QBs and DL they have produced recently and tell me they can’t consistently win 10 games yearly.

They play Syracuse, BC, Wake, and FSU yearly. Thats 4 easy wins a year plus 4 non conference wins. They just need to win 2 of the remaining 5 (bowl game included).
Read the thread. You might learn some things.

Read the thread. You might learn some things.

what? That you think Mack Brown is some kind of coaching genius. Naw I’m good.

Historically NC State hasn’t won 10 consistently and Dave Doeren wont be the guy that get them there. Hence my original post questioning his extension.

A better coach can get easily them 10 wins a season.

Advertisement
That page and a half was just too much, huh? You just don't want to learn why you are inaccurate, as several people with real knowledge explain? OK. Done.

He is a good coach, and like all good coaches with just middlin' talent, the fan base wanted him fired after 6 games last year.

What do you really, consistently, think the upside of NC State is? Particularly with Mack back at UNC for a while?
No reason why Wolfpack can't set the standard in Raleigh (including Winston-Salem) or ACC. Would argue probably a touch easier for them because that program likely has less oversight than Tarheels. Blue Devils and Demon Deacons do not have institutional focus or desire to truly be football elite.

People outside of this state have no idea what Nc State is. That name carries ZERO weight, anywhere. It’s a dead end job in every sport outside of bass fishing.
What happens though, if they become an "it school" like Auburn did years ago, like Clemson and UGA are now?

Your point is taken however, NC State probably doesn't have the highest name recognition.

I keep saying this: if Moglia Magic can be sustained, watch out for Coastal Carolina.

Advertisement
True that NCSU sits in a very rich recruiting area, but so do several other schools that sit relatively close to their campus, including the Virginia schools, UNC, Clemson as well as the SEC schools. Too many schools plus UNC is The flagship school. This is why I disagree with some of the assorted dingbats in our fan base who want the USFs, UCFs, FAUs, etc to share a conference with us.

Never read this, are people really wanting this or you making it up.

Guy took Manny to the wood shed last year. Mack Brown style. Thank the Lawd for Rhett Lashlee & D’Eriq da King.

Dudes Clocking Checks on Manny. Hope this trend ends dead this year.

What happens though, if they become an "it school" like Auburn did years ago, like Clemson and UGA are now?

Your point is taken however, NC State probably doesn't have the highest name recognition.

I keep saying this: if Moglia Magic can be sustained, watch out for Coastal Carolina.
For whatever reason it will never be the “it” school here. They’ve had better facilities, the best stadium, with the best atmosphere, and the best fan base and it’s made no difference. They beat UNC like 5 straight times and it changed nothing.

Doeren was up for the Tennessee job and State locked him down, which also played a part in him getting this raise. Idk why they did it. He is what he is and he’s hit his ceiling. They could’ve gotten someone younger and cheaper and gotten these same results. The school just loves Doeren and from what I’ve been told, his assistants love working for him.

Couple all of that with them being known for losing games they never should and being one of the unluckiest schools in the country across all sports and this is what you get. They’ll have to live with the occasional senior laiden team win 9 games. It’s something I’ll never understand, but that’s just how it is.

For whatever reason it will never be the “it” school here. They’ve had better facilities, the best stadium, with the best atmosphere, and the best fan base and it’s made no difference. They beat UNC like 5 straight times and it changed nothing.

Doeren was up for the Tennessee job and State locked him down, which also played a part in him getting this raise. Idk why they did it. He is what he is and he’s hit his ceiling. They could’ve gotten someone younger and cheaper and gotten these same results. The school just loves Doeren and from what I’ve been told, his assistants love working for him.

Couple all of that with them being known for losing games they never should and being one of the unluckiest schools in the country across all sports and this is what you get. They’ll have to live with the occasional senior laiden team win 9 games. It’s something I’ll never understand, but that’s just how it is.
Just moved to Raleigh.. but your points are so true.. they have this natural ceiling that Im not sure how they break through.. Ive wondered as they are a BIG school, tons of alumni.. no matter their record they seem to draw a good crowd (prob being so close to a lot of alumni as I dont think they travel well).. One thing I think they need is to have more non con games with regional teams outside of the state. Get a series with UGA, Aubrurn.. UNC has a national brand so they dont need to. NCSt seems to always have 4 OOC games against teams in NC only.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back