OT Conventional, Hybrid or all Electirc

fraggle

Senile Senior
I am considering a new vehicle and am undecided which way to go. I am leaning hybrid, whom among my Canes friends have a hybrid or all electric and are you satisfied? I currently have a Lincoln SUV that I am quite happy with but like to upgrade every 3 to 5 years so I am not in a hurry but like to evaluate before making a move. Thoughts?

Advertisement
Oh lord, Fraggle drives

0BF661A9-EF5A-401E-BD56-3EAB4C8D5A17.gif

Not a fan of hybrid's, because the batteries take up a lot of room and that cuts down the size of the gas tank, and you dont make it up in the gas mileage. So for example, the BMW 5 series has an 18 gallon tank, but the hybrid version only has a 12 gallon tank.

On the electric side, lots of cars are coming out in the next few years, but for now, Tesla is still way ahead on battery performance; the Model 3 for instance has a 350 mile range.

Related topic: with the shortage of chips right now, new cars are very expensive and hard to find. Go on Swapalease or LeaseTrader, and see if you find a lease you like.

Advertisement
I am considering a new vehicle and am undecided which way to go. I am leaning hybrid, whom among my Canes friends have a hybrid or all electric and are you satisfied? I currently have a Lincoln SUV that I am quite happy with but like to upgrade every 3 to 5 years so I am not in a hurry but like to evaluate before making a move. Thoughts?

Will be buying a Lexus Hybrid in a few days. Some of my friends have Tesla’s & they love them, but me personally I can’t do strictly electronic vehicles. Maybe b/c I insured a couple of clients where they had 1st Gen models & their battery blew up. Little PTSD. Lol.

Depends on how you think infrastructure will develop and when. If you go all electric you need charging, and probably want rapid charging. If you are primarily around town, you can set up a home charging station. If you are going across country, you are going to find severe limitations both in terms of number of stations, and how long you have to take to re-charge when you can find one.

There is only enough Lithium in the world to supply half of the cars currently on the road, however, the end of lithium batteries probably
will not happen in our lifetime. If you are really interested in electric, wait for the development of sodium-ion batteries. There has been
incredible development with sodium-ion batteries and I would not be surprised to see them in cars in the foreseeable future. I expect
usage in phones and other electronics to be beneficiaries of these batteries prior to car installation.

Advertisement
I have an electric crossover. The technology and infrastructure isn’t there yet. I’d highly recommend waiting until it’s not only easy to find a place to recharge your automobile, but the battery life is more than 600 miles. It’s a nice place to visit, but I wish I didn’t own one. The time and energy I put into charging my ride, is beyond stupid. I made a mistake. I could go on and on, but if you don’t know the problems with owning an EV, Google it. There’s plenty of articles out there.

I’m pretty sure the last off topic thread started here and not on the OT board got a seasoned poster an infraction. I’d better move Fraggle & Co to safety before the top dog on the administrative side sees this in Eye in the Sky.

The only way the big automakers survive is if they lobby for mandatory EV's by a certain year (2040).

Ford, GM, Dodge, etc. They didn't invest enough in EV, so they have resorted to liquidating assets to pay for concept cars (Ford buying Rivian; GM buying Cruise Automation)

All of this to say, buy a combustible engine so we're not mandated to drive an electric vehicle in 20 years. Just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have an electric crossover. The technology and infrastructure isn’t there yet. I’d highly recommend waiting until it’s not only easy to find a place to recharge your automobile, but the battery life is more than 600 miles. It’s a nice place to visit, but I wish I didn’t own one. The time and energy I put into charging my ride, is beyond stupid. I made a mistake. I could go on and on, but if you don’t know the problems with owning an EV, Google it. There’s plenty of articles out there.
That is why I said I'd consider a hybrid but per the comments here I believe I will stay conventional Thank you for your honest evaluation

I am also looking for a new car and have thought about maybe getting an electric car, because the government in my country actually pays me to drive one plus I dont have to pay car tax.

Problem is, battery replacements are kinda costly, and, as someone said it, new technology is on the way already.

Advertisement
Won't go full electric until their range increases a lot. I've had a hybrid for a while (CT200h) and I really like it. Not exciting to drive, but even nice cars aren't on a commute.

This may be meant to throw shade but everything about this clip is badass, right down to the guy nailing the dismount.
Deduct a tenth for the "****tin in his pants" look.
He's lucky he hit the planter with those stone walls lurking beyond.

My biz partner has owned 4 Teslas (2 sold, and 2 current drivers)
- Model S fully loaded (2020)
- Model X (the SUV??) fully loaded (2019 or 2020)
-- Both are insanely quick and fun to drive...destroys any sports cars I'm aware of
-- Both are setup as "mobile offices"
-- I hate "driver assisted mode" its unnatural and a tech demon spawn😂

- He and wife live electric lifestyle
-- Full solar panel array on his house with twin power wall units
-- He has twin 220V chargers in his garage, and we have a single 220V charger at work
--- Drives VERY DIFFERENT bills due to baseload... his house isnt even noticed, our commericial account kicked up $300 extra per month base fee (for no reason) because of utility tier usage rules

👆With all that above, they both still have to plan any distance around Teslas supercharger network and charging their vehicles at home for anything more than local travel to store still takes hours (my perception anyways). When he puts on miles throughout the day, the Tesla stays parked and he uses our work vehicles because he knows he'll have to sit at a supercharger location to make it home (40 miles one way)

Also, we have a staff member who rocks a Nissan Leaf. 110V charging only and she has barely enough juice for her daily commute (so she tells us constantly)

we have 2 deposits on cyber trucks and 2 on F-150 lightnings... my guess they wont actually be available for many moons and will take a show me what it can actually fo before we purchase.

At work, our fleet of vehicles are Ram e-torques... LOVE those trucks... and... dont laugh... they technically qualify as hybrids so in our region staff can drive down express lanes at zero cost

It is apparant that electrification of transportation is here to stay, but until the recharge time problem is solved + availability (current storage is just fine actually), I'm still a buyer of ICE and/or hybrids.

Good luck

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back