OT: College Cheating Scandal - Pay to Play?

WndyCityCane

Recruit
first off, I was shocked (sarcasm) that Universities consider Donations (a.k.a. bribes) when considering whom to let in. What's next - Adidas being caught for paying coaches and parents to 'steer' a kid towards one school over another?

That being said, isn't Miami a private university and thus can determine what criteria to use when deciding to admit a student? Back when I went to Miami, I recall more than one kid, not the sharpest tool in the box, declaring that the only reason he got into Miami was because 'his parents went there and they had the money to get him in'.
It's certainly nice for a University to let those in first that can 'contribute' the most.

Pay to play?

go CANES!!

Advertisement
first off, I was shocked (sarcasm) that Universities consider Donations (a.k.a. bribes) when considering whom to let in. What's next - Adidas being caught for paying coaches and parents to 'steer' a kid towards one school over another?

That being said, isn't Miami a private university and thus can determine what criteria to use when deciding to admit a student? Back when I went to Miami, I recall more than one kid, not the sharpest tool in the box, declaring that the only reason he got into Miami was because 'his parents went there and they had the money to get him in'.
It's certainly nice for a University to let those in first that can 'contribute' the most.

Pay to play?

go CANES!!
Universities can and should be able to do what they want. They’re upset that others are trying to cut in on their deal. But someone laundering money through a fake charity for the purpose of helping kids fake their credentials is illegal in multiple respects.

Advertisement
Can't say I feel bad that a bunch of entitled ******** got popped. But I bet money this is going to get deeper.

Advertisement
Really?
Freedom of association and speech, for starters.

So, universities should be able to do what they want, despite being subsidized by tax payers money.

I'm not sure where freedom of speech comes into play when it comes to rich people circumventing the system and a spot given to a kid that clearly doesn't deserve it.

Even if that includes only accepting rich white people? Because you did say, "Anything they want."

No, they shouldn't do anything they want. That is a dangerous slippery slope.

So, universities should be able to do what they want, despite being subsidized by tax payers money.

I'm not sure where freedom of speech comes into play when it comes to rich people circumventing the system and a spot given to a kid that clearly doesn't deserve it.

Even if that includes only accepting rich white people? Because you did say, "Anything they want."

No, they shouldn't do anything they want. That is a dangerous slippery slope.
Public institutions should not discriminate. Private institutions should be able to do what they want. Saying federal subsidies makes an institution public is wrong and dangerous, imo. The federal govt puts its tentacles into everything. Preserving private space is essential to preserving freedom.

Additionally, univerities - including public ones - clearly discriminate today. It’s just considered ‘okay’ and lawful if they discriminate in a way that leftist elites feel good about. If you support accepting a kid because of his skin color, ot sure why you would discriminate in favor of some ‘races’ and against others, or what principle you even adhere to.

Bull****. The ‘public money’ cant and shouldnt be an excuse for relinquishment of constitutional freedoms.

You're absolutely right which is why you can't take government money then decide to discriminate. You want total control over who you let in? Cool, use your own money. As soon as you take the governments money, the rules change.

Don't you see the problem here? What if the government gives money to a muslim school that preaches hate against christians? What if they give money to a school that teaches white supremacy? What about female circumcision, you cool with your government supporting that?

The constitution says the government can't tell you what you can/can't say, but it also says they won't take sides in religion.

Advertisement
Admissions is a troubling issue. Most do not want to give preference to racial or religious minorities [unless they are in those groups]. Most do not want wealthy or politically connected to get preference either. But, those same people want schools to admit athletes that will help them win. We cane fans need only recall Willie Williams.....................What will get these people jail time is the tax fraud. Because the amounts were so large federal banking laws required that they be reported. This led to the idea that they were charitiable gifts to the Key Foundation. Those same people took tax deductions for their payments. That and much of the money was wire transferred and therefore likely violated several federal wire laws..........

Having said that most at least accept the fact that if Grandparents gave a Hospital to a school, the grandkids should be able to attend...........

Too lazy to resize.

You're absolutely right which is why you can't take government money then decide to discriminate. You want total control over who you let in? Cool, use your own money. As soon as you take the governments money, the rules change.

Don't you see the problem here? What if the government gives money to a muslim school that preaches hate against christians? What if they give money to a school that teaches white supremacy? What about female circumcision, you cool with your government supporting that?

The constitution says the government can't tell you what you can/can't say, but it also says they won't take sides in religion.
That is horse****, imo. The govt regulates, subsidizes and makes it effectively impossible not to w8 d up ‘taking’ their money. Do student loans count? Why is that the college ‘taking’ the money? And if it is, why is it the non-dischargeable debt of the student in a bankruptcy?

The government is not some benign force for happy goodness. It forcibly takes money, regulates to the point where institutions can hardly exist without its subsidies, threatens institutions with litigation if thy dont do what it wants (see, e.g., Obama’s ‘dear friend’ letter to universities), then turns around and says ‘aha, you took money, you must become our subjects.’ It’s all wrong, and compounded by the governments outright refusal to enforce basic constotutional prohibitions on discrimination ahen it likes the types of discrimination going on.

As for your question, it’s bizarre. The govt already takes sides and gives to institutions that discriminate, and no one seems to care. It funds planned parenthood, which slaughters millions of minority babies each year. It subsidizes innumerable schools that outright discriminate against Asians, and no ine cares. Your examples are not different from what the govt already does.

Advertisement
That is horse****, imo. The govt regulates, subsidizes and makes it effectively impossible not to w8 d up ‘taking’ their money. Do student loans count? Why is that the college ‘taking’ the money? And if it is, why is it the non-dischargeable debt of the student in a bankruptcy?

The government is not some benign force for happy goodness. It forcibly takes money, regulates to the point where institutions can hardly exist without its subsidies, threatens institutions with litigation if thy dont do what it wants (see, e.g., Obama’s ‘dear friend’ letter to universities), then turns around and says ‘aha, you took money, you must become our subjects.’ It’s all wrong, and compounded by the governments outright refusal to enforce basic constotutional prohibitions on discrimination ahen it likes the types of discrimination going on.

As for your question, it’s bizarre. The govt already takes sides and gives to institutions that discriminate, and no one seems to care. It funds planned parenthood, which slaughters millions of minority babies each year. It subsidizes innumerable schools that outright discriminate against Asians, and no ine cares. Your examples are not different from what the govt already does.

i dont like it, but he's right. universities do take public money and then discriminate

The only thing really shocking about all this is the liberal media exposing their fellow leftists.

Very entertaining.

Agreed.... I love reading about Jared K, Donnie Jr, and Ivanka.
Their Daddy's paid for entry to Harvard and Penn which everyone has known for years.
This isnt leftist.
It is about ELITE money.
Also, politics suck.

Football in less than a week is GLORIOUS.

The only thing really shocking about all this is the liberal media exposing their fellow leftists.

Very entertaining.

Nothing is more idiotic in America right now is the stupid Left vs Right/Conservative vs Liberal divisions.

What makes someone fit into either category?

Im against *** Marriage but for Abortion so where does that put me?

Advertisement
Back