OT- Cigar question

Lmao outstanding it’s funny cus it’s true

I’m in the cigar industry, Sales Manager for EPC, was previously with Espinosa Cigars, took a massive step up, If you smoked a La Gloria Cubana that was Ernesto Carrillo blend and cigar before he banked by selling it to General.

Any who, this right here is hilarious cus it’s true. First, I dealt with the Canadian market, God Bless you guys for still buying cigars, those taxes are ridiculous. As for the quality of those Cuban cigars? Before you light it get your Ashton (Symmetry for me is their best cigar, I call it baby Opus) and smoke both of them together at the same time. The purpose is for you to see how bad the Cuban is to your Ashton. The Canadian market is down the list in priority when it comes to the quality of the cigars they get from Cuba. Why does it still sell there and people rave about it? Because 65% of cigar smokers don’t know a **** thing and perception takes over

Now as for Cuban cigars. I preface this by saying, I am of Cuban decent. Cuban cigars are vastly overrated and suck. And most of the people who smoke legit Cuban cigars don’t know a **** thing and mind**** themselves into believing it’s the best thing cus it’s a Cuban cigar. First off, ladies and gentlemen you are not smoking a 100% Cuban tobacco cigar. They are importing tobacco from Nicaragua, Honduras and D.R. Because they do not have enough tobacco to fill it with to meet the worldwide demand. Secondly, the tobacco crop sucks, due to their horrible situation Cuba is using its soil to grow anything, and with tobacco you must turn the soil properly to revive the soil with proper nutrients to grow tobacco, they are not doing that, this the quality of tobacco is bad. Third, all the “talent” has died or left the island. What does that mean? The blenders, the top rollers, heck even factory managers have died or left the island. You can have all the top ingredients to make a great meal, but your chef sucks the meal will suck, and that is the situation over there.

Now if all things were optimal, there is no better tobacco than Cuban, but that is not the case, and since most cigar smokers don’t know ****, and perception is reality, they actually think they are smoking a great cigar cus it’s Cuban, when amongst true cigar connoisseurs, it is crap and overrated and poorly constructed, and not to mention not 100% Cuban. Believe me I know all the growers and distributors of tobacco who sell to Cuba

Enjoy the smoke, and hope you learned something.

And as stated before, be a ***** and smoke everything, though clearly smoke an EPC Cigar first lol

As I’ve told smokers before, everything in a stores humidor is great and everything in a stores humidor sucks balls, what’s the difference? What is great and sucks balls to you and only you. It all depends on your palate.

And a final note, learn to retrohale (fancy word for blowing smoke out your nose) Once you can do that, you will get the total experience and profile a cigar has to offer. If you got any other questions ask away

And if ya don’t know now ya know....

Props for weighing in. I used to be a big fan of La Gloria Cubana Mi Amor Reserva. Noticed they haven't been the same since the sale.

I agree with you on the palate comment. I don't like to use the term "acquired taste" because it implies the person 'simply doesn't know enough but one day they'll get it.' Like you stated, it's all about what a person likes. What others think of it is irrelevant.

Also, +1 on the retrohale. A lot more is picked up, especially qualities like spice or sweet.

OP, one thing I forgot to mention is to also experiment with different ring gauges. Most of the flavor in a cigar comes from the wrapper. The larger ring gauges have more binder and filler, hence less flavor. That said, while I appreciate the flavor in a lancero, it's personally not my thing. Neither is a 60. Try different gauges, as well as different forms, e.g. robusto vs. torpedo.

Check out this link re: different wrappers:

http://www.cigarbox.net/cigar-info/wrappers/

Lastly, cigars are like food in that they pair with certain spirits or beers. I'm a single malt guy so after a nice steak, I like a Padron 1926 with Lagvulin 16. Another combo I like is an LFD Colorado Oscuro with an oatmeal stout. Some dudes love to start the day with a Connecticut wrapper and a cup of coffee. In any event, the fun is in the journey of learning what it is that you like.

Advertisement
Props for weighing in. I used to be a big fan of La Gloria Cubana Mi Amor Reserva. Noticed they haven't been the same since the sale.

I agree with you on the palate comment. I don't like to use the term "acquired taste" because it implies the person 'simply doesn't know enough but one day they'll get it.' Like you stated, it's all about what a person likes. What others think of it is irrelevant.

Also, +1 on the retrohale. A lot more is picked up, especially qualities like spice or sweet.

OP, one thing I forgot to mention is to also experiment with different ring gauges. Most of the flavor in a cigar comes from the wrapper. The larger ring gauges have more binder and filler, hence less flavor. That said, while I appreciate the flavor in a lancero, it's personally not my thing. Neither is a 60. Try different gauges, as well as different forms, e.g. robusto vs. torpedo.

Check out this link re: different wrappers:

http://www.cigarbox.net/cigar-info/wrappers/

Lastly, cigars are like food in that they pair with certain spirits or beers. I'm a single malt guy so after a nice steak, I like a Padron 1926 with Lagvulin 16. Another combo I like is an LFD Colorado Oscuro with an oatmeal stout. Some dudes love to start the day with a Connecticut wrapper and a cup of coffee. In any event, the fun is in the journey of learning what it is that you like.

A 1926 and a 16 yr single malt is nice combo. Smooth and strong.

A nice XO with a 1964 ain’t bad either

Another combo is a super strong peppery cigar with my Laphroaig 18 yr old which I have to make last (I’m saving the half that’s left for our next NC)

A 1926 and a 16 yr single malt is nice combo. Smooth and strong.

A nice XO with a 1964 ain’t bad either

Another combo is a super strong peppery cigar with my Laphroaig 18 yr old which I have to make last (I’m saving the half that’s left for our next NC)
Not a smoker, but now that you bring up single malt I'm in. Is the Laphroaig 18 smooth or robust. For my money I get Highland Park 12, it is full bodied but very easy drinking... I get it ten bucks cheaper than at Total Wine. I have a bottle Glenlevit 18 for my wife who is a smoothie and she sips it.

Advertisement
Not a smoker, but now that you bring up single malt I'm in. Is the Laphroaig 18 smooth or robust. For my money I get Highland Park 12, it is full bodied but very easy drinking... I get it ten bucks cheaper than at Total Wine. I have a bottle Glenlevit 18 for my wife who is a smoothie and she sips it.

Smooth like turpentine mixed with smoky peat. Seriously, it’s considered “richly flavored” by their own admission. Which means you’re going to taste it and feel it going down. They don’t sell the 18 yr. anymore, of which I have I think over half a bottle. Laphroaig is a small house. They focus on their 10 yr and 15 yr and a couple of others. They do have some in the 25+, 30+ but those are nearly impossible to find anywhere in the US. There’s probably only a few hundred bottles anywhere.

Smooth like turpentine mixed with smoky peat. Seriously, it’s considered “richly flavored” by their own admission. Which means you’re going to taste it and feel it going down. They don’t sell the 18 yr. anymore, of which I have I think over half a bottle. Laphroaig is a small house. They focus on their 10 yr and 15 yr and a couple of others. They do have some in the 25+, 30+ but those are nearly impossible to find anywhere in the US. There’s probably only a few hundred bottles anywhere.
Ok were talking about good shiit. I think I'll stick to Highland Park and stay on my plan of getting a flats boat to get back out this year in the Ten Thousand Islands.
When we get the sixth NC send me a PM so we can sip that there 18 Lap... lol

when i come to Miami i always go with the crippy cigars, smooth, not harsh at all, good flavor flav, and the smell just drives me nuts, we dont have em here in Texas like that all ours come from Mexico

If you're in Dallas try Williams Cigars. It's a small shop near downtown where William and his brother hand roll fresh every day. They are from Cuba and also do guided trips every month. They grew up in the industry and it shows.

Advertisement
Hey all- I'm a cane alum, class of '96. We opened a cigar store up here in the Philadelphia area 8 years ago. We carry only premium cigars and have an enormous selection. We just remodeled our store into a custom made walk in humidor. And within the last 6 months we opened our online store at Elcigarshop.com
Come check us out! We are offering 30% off SITEWIDE for a very limited time. Go canes!

Hey all- I'm a cane alum, class of '96. We opened a cigar store up here in the Philadelphia area 8 years ago. We carry only premium cigars and have an enormous selection. We just remodeled our store into a custom made walk in humidor. And within the last 6 months we opened our online store at Elcigarshop.com
Here's a few pics of our humidor
So, apparently files are too big to post? Anyone have any ideas how to post a pic from an iPhone?

So, apparently files are too big to post? Anyone have any ideas how to post a pic from an iPhone?

Just make the pic file size smaller by reducing the resolution, I’ve never had a problem. Just click on the picture link and access your picture files

axa.jpg
Looks like Mr. Mellon has a different assessment than you...lol. Please allow me to settle this confusion:very-drunk:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back