NFL OT - Carolina Panthers trade for the #1 overall pick

That's just false.
Its not, they simply hired Greg Roman, who ran this sort of stuff already with Tyrod Taylor all the way back in Buffalo. Running more inverted veer is not "designing the offense around him", its calling the one play that actually worked because Roman can't design a pass play that supports his QB to save his life.

It wasn't designed around Jacksons throwing ability, nor was it designed to support him here. The most important part of a NFL offense was not taken care of. If Jalen Hurts played for Baltimore, the offense would look exactly the same. Thats the point I'm making.

If you tailor an outfit, you don't stop at the legs, you do the whole thing. If running a QB option game is enough tailoring for you here, ok, agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Its not, they simply hired Greg Roman, who ran this sort of stuff already with Tyrod Taylor all the way back in Buffalo. Running more inverted veer is not "designing the offense around him", its calling the one play that actually worked because Roman can't design a pass play that supports his QB to save his life.

It wasn't designed around Jacksons throwing ability, nor was it designed to support him here. The most important part of a NFL offense was not taken care of. If Jalen Hurts played for Baltimore, the offense would look exactly the same. Thats the point I'm making.

If you tailor an outfit, you don't stop at the legs, you do the whole thing. If running a QB option game is enough tailoring for you here, ok, agree to disagree.
Fair.

Man. The Bears are doing what the Dolphins should have been doing for years. Get more picks rather than gambling on the #1 overall.

Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football

Advertisement
They aren’t always clear and the “clear” ones have quite a high bust rate

Josh Allen, mahomes, Lamar Jackson all recent nfl picks who people thought weren’t “clear” franchise qbs

And nobody backed up a Brinks truck of picks to move up to #1 for them either. You just made my point.

If Carter fell past the Lions that would be dumb imo.

At the end of the day the current legal situation with Carter is 2 misdemeanors - Speeding and Reckless Driving. And otherwise he has a clean record.
If they get the guy they always wanted, in addition to the trade they just completed, it will be the most epic draft ever.

Last edited:
And nobody backed up a Brinks truck of picks to move up to #1 for them either. You just made my point.
Lmao

You have NO idea what you’re talking about

The chiefs traded their 1st round pick, their 3rd round pick and a future first round pick to move up to #10 to get mahomes

So yeah that’s nearly identical for what the panthers just did except the panthers got the #1 overall pick

Clearly the panthers gave up a future 2nd and one of their 2 2nd rounders instead of a third along with dj Moore but the salary and the bears holding the leverage required that

When you like a quarterback you go for them, and if you’re worried that the raiders or colts might move up to 1st to take that qb, you make the move first

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lmao

The chiefs traded their 1st round pick, their 3rd round pick and a future first round pick to move up to #10 to get mahomes

So yeah that’s nearly identical for what the panthers just did except the panthers got the #1 overall pick

Clearly the panthers gave up a future 2nd and one of their 2 2nd rounders instead of a third along with dj Moore but the salary and the bears holding the leverage required that

When you like a quarterback you go for them, and if you’re worried that the raiders or colts might move up to 1st to take that qb, you make the move first
There was always potential with Mahomes (size, skill, background of a dad as a professional athlete, others like Carson Wentz before the injuries, Jordan Love potential, Trey Lance potential, etc).

There is always risks in terms of picks as you noted but you give all of that up for a skinny 5’10 QB from Alabama that is likely more similar to Tua than to Murray from Arizona?

IMO, they should pick Stroud and I don’t think he’s a sure fire #2 but is likely the best overall. Richardson has the most potential but I just don’t see him being a smart QB like the others which will likely mitigate his raw potential.

Lmao

That trade isn't comparable to this one - I didn't say NO trades took place, I said they didn't back up the Brinks truck. Take out the current years picks because they're a swap.

Chiefs traded up 17 spots to a top 10 pick with one 1st and one 3rd. The Panthers traded up 8 spots for one 1st (probably another top 10), two 2nds, and a 25 year old starting WR. Sure the salary is a factor but great job by the Bears getting him in the deal. Anyway, enjoy your trade.

There was always potential with Mahomes (size, skill, background of a dad as a professional athlete, others like Carson Wentz before the injuries, Jordan Love potential, Trey Lance potential, etc).

There is always risks in terms of picks as you noted but you give all of that up for a skinny 5’10 QB from Alabama that is likely more similar to Tua than to Murray from Arizona?

IMO, they should pick Stroud and I don’t think he’s a sure fire #2 but is likely the best overall. Richardson has the most potential but I just don’t see him being a smart QB like the others which will likely mitigate his raw potential.
I think stroud is the pick, i agree that doing that much for young would be questionable

That trade isn't comparable to this one - I didn't say NO trades took place, I said they didn't back up the Brinks truck. Take out the current years picks because they're a swap.

Chiefs traded up 17 spots to a top 10 pick with one 1st and one 3rd. The Panthers traded up 8 spots for one 1st (probably another top 10), two 2nds, and a 25 year old starting WR. Sure the salary is a factor but great job by the Bears getting him in the deal. Anyway, enjoy your trade.
i'm not saying it's not a lot to give up but my point is that the difference between the first pick and 10th pick in terms of required compensation is significant (for example the panthers had the 9th pick this year) especially with several teams needing a QB within the first several picks

i'm not saying that stroud is the next mahomes or anything like that but i'm saying that nobody was CERTAIN that mahomes would be great (except for the chiefs) so it's not always the ones that appear to be home runs like burrow, cam newton, andrew luck, etc. Panthers can get who they want, will they pick the right one, that much remains to be seen

Advertisement
Advertisement

E0CAF616-3D05-4EA9-80A2-A82C7DD7A50A.gif

Overpaid Edmunds
Edwards Can't play on passing downs
Dline, RB, Oline and DBs alll still ***.

With the defense the Bears want to run, Edmunds was one of the only guys they really could have gone after. They need a big, tall MLB type to cover that middle zone and make it difficult to throw over the top of the linebacker. Its why they punted Ro Smith to the Ravens and paid a few more bucks to a LB that can operate in their defense. They don't necessarily need Edwards to play on pass downs, but its a fair criticism. Edwards is basically a one year deal at 8M anyway. Its a show-me deal.

As an aside, the concept of "overpaying" is silly. And judging it at this point of the offseason is equally silly. The Jaguars "overpaid" last year for a variety of players (you have to when you stink), yet they made a run and the players they "overpaid" for, all performed at or above their salary and were vital pieces to a playoff run. It doesn't always work, but who cares what these guys are getting paid at this point. The NFL is very good at manipulating their cap figure annually. They figure it out. It isn't 2002 where a team being upside down on a roster means you are toast for a while. A key cut (that was almost always planned), some core restructuring, some contract play with front/back loaded deals and you'll be alright. Its not that serious.

Edmunds for example...14M cap hit this year, 22M cap hit next year (if it works out, will surely be restructured), 17M in 2025. Cut year will be the 2026 off-season where its a 2M dead cap hit. Comparable players - per Sportrac - are like Zach Cunningham, Deion Jones, Lavonte David, Eric Kendricks. Per PFF, Edmunds outperformed all of them sans Lavonte David last year, pretty significantly (injuries and other factors are not necessarily included, but I digress). Also, Edmunds is TWENTY FOUR YEARS OLD. That's wild. Edwards out performed those aforementioned LBs per PFF last year as well.

If it doesn't work out, Edwards is gone next year and you might have to slog through two years of bad play from Edmunds (would be weird considering his age...it'd be a dramatic drop off for an ascending player)...but nothing looks egregious. Like all free agents, you just hope things bank right.

Advertisement
Back