NFL OT - Carolina Panthers trade for the #1 overall pick

In regards to the trade, people don't have to speculate on whether which QBs are in the running.

When Carolina made the trade, they made the pick. If you're not sure whom to pick and you're not 100% certain whom to get, you don't make such a trade. They know who they are getting already.

For the Bears, this trade is almost a fleece. They get a #1 for their young QB, the ninth pick who could become hot commodity if a team has absolutely fallen in love with a prospect and they can trade down into the 15-20s and still get an elite player plus extra picks on Day 2 to load up on young talent.

If the Bears ***** this up, you can't help them anymore. You'd have to fire, GM, scouts, personnel executives, the whole ******* group.

You mean the GM, scouts and personnel executives who just pulled off the very fleece you're lauding? :)

Advertisement
It’s clearly Hedley.
image.jpeg

Doubt it.

Richardson probably would’ve still been available at 9 if that’s who they were picking.

I’m guessing they felt they had to move up ahead of the Texans & the Colts to get either Stroud or Bryce Young.
I'd take Richardson.

Go with the highest upside player and trust your 'QB whisperer' HC to do his job.

I don't think Young will ever be able to last an NFL season and I have serious questions about whether he can see the middle of the field and Stroud doesn't have a high ceiling.

You've already rolled the dice with this silly trade - double down.

Advertisement
That's completely false, Ravens offensive weapons aren't amazing but the Panthers might have the worst in the league.
You talking about names, I’m looking at production. Look at the stats.
Panthers top 3 RBs had 298 carries for 1,457yds and.10TDs vs. the Ravens top 3 RBs who tallied 288 carries for 1,435 and 9TDs. I DID NOT use McCaffrey or LJ stats Win: Panthers

Panthers top 3 WRs or pass catchers combined for 113 catches for about 1,674 and 10TDs vs. 158 for the Ravens with 1,712yds and 10TDs which is more yards for the Ravens, but a higher ypc avg. for the Panthers. Advantage: Ravens

Now…If I add in C. McCaffrey receiving stats… even only playing 6 games, the Panthers would outright have better numbers. Now the biggest caveat is….how much of the Ravens passing game did Lamar skew by running. That we don’t know. And the fact that the Panthers were trying to win NFL football games with Sam D. under center, and a fired head coach. .
Overall the Panthers had better stats from the RBs this year and a better #1 WR. Ravens had a much better TE, coaching, and QB play. The stats say that it wasn’t as much difference as one may think.

Everyone declaring that all teams passed on Lamar doesn't understand that he has until week 10 to negotiate. It's very plausible teams wait until after the draft to ensure they keep their pick for this year. DeShawn Watson sat out an entire waiting on the Browns to trade for him. These things don't always happen immediately.

The then Washington Redskins also fleeced Mike Ditka once when he traded up for Ricky Williams.

And Jimmy Johnson, etc, etc, etc.

Just maybe give credit for the trade of the year while you are already worrying about whats next, eh?

Advertisement
And Jimmy Johnson, etc, etc, etc.

Just maybe give credit for the trade of the year while you are already worrying about whats next, eh?
Jimmy Johnson has already said the tough part wasn't getting the picks, it was getting good players with the picks.

Cool, they traded down in a market where probably five teams asked for that pick. Well done. Won't mean **** if you **** it up like you have been for some time.

Has Lamar Jackson ****ed every wife of every team owner?

It is wild that no one has just taken him off of the Ravens hands at this point. Bryce Young or CJ Stroud just went for the iron price. Neither one of those guys are winning MVP anytime soon. No disrespect, they are nice prospects. I'm just saying there are levels to this. Lamar Jackson makes you a contender for all but maybe the most dilapidated of programs, IMO. I get the criticisms, but its a bad look after looking at the stupid money that was given to Deshaun Watson and Kyler Murray, and now this price for the #1 pick...many teams can solve a lot of their problems with Lamar. Hefty investment, sure. But saves you a lot of time getting to the point.
Sigh… it’s the 100% guaranteed contract part that is the issue. The Browns ****ed it up for everybody but reality is nobody wants to give that out. Then you have Kyler who like Lamar loves to run and is now injured all the while they gave him 189MM guaranteed.

This isn’t that complicated, Lamar is an elite QB option but what he wants isn’t worth it to most franchises. He has been injured the last two years to boot. Then you add in the fact that he doesn’t have an agent, which will make it tougher to negotiate and he is left in the position that he is in. This is on Lamar, now he still may get what he wants in the end because he is elite but he put himself behind the 8 ball here.

Advertisement
I'd take Richardson.

Go with the highest upside player and trust your 'QB whisperer' HC to do his job.

I don't think Young will ever be able to last an NFL season and I have serious questions about whether he can see the middle of the field and Stroud doesn't have a high ceiling.

You've already rolled the dice with this silly trade - double down.
honest question, why is it such a silly trade?

it's really

1 first round pick, 2 2nd's and dj moore for a franchise qb on a rookie deal

we had 2 second round picks anyways and dj moore albeit a loss, was very expensive and clears a ton of cap room

why is there such a narrative that they gave up a ton? people say 2 first round picks sure, but one of those was a swap so only 1 first rounder from '24 in addition + 2nd rounders this year (we had an extra one) and next year and a WR who is talented but proven to be useless without a proper qb (not to mention clears over 10 mil in cap space)

i think richardson is even worse than zach wilson, hopefully his combine results doesn't make fitterer go blind because i'd be ****ed if they choose him over stroud

honest question, why is it such a silly trade?

it's really

1 first round pick, 2 2nd's and dj moore for a franchise qb on a rookie deal

we had 2 second round picks anyways and dj moore albeit a loss, was very expensive and clears a ton of cap room

why is there such a narrative that they gave up a ton? people say 2 first round picks sure, but one of those was a swap so only 1 first rounder from '24 in addition + 2nd rounders this year (we had an extra one) and next year and a WR who is talented but proven to be useless without a proper qb (not to mention clears over 10 mil in cap space)

i think richardson is even worse than zach wilson, hopefully his combine results doesn't make fitterer go blind because i'd be ****ed if they choose him over stroud
Because if there was a franchise QB in this Draft the Bears wouldn't be trading out.

It's a good group of QBs, but there's no-one you 'bang the table' for.

DJ Moore is a huge loss and on a very team friendly deal. Go look what Kirk is being paid.

No one asked, but I'd draft Stroud. His floor is high enough to start him in his rookie year and his ceiling is high enough to be considered elite.

Just ensure that you are actually building an offense around him that does not focus on running the ball.

Advertisement
Because if there was a franchise QB in this Draft the Bears wouldn't be trading out.

It's a good group of QBs, but there's no-one you 'bang the table' for.

DJ Moore is a huge loss and on a very team friendly deal. Go look what Kirk is being paid.
well it's more complicated then that. they obviously see high upside in justin fields and realize that they'd get way more for trading the first overall then they would for trading fields. now they get a pick at 9 to where they can get him even more support, an extra first next year, 2 second rounders and a true #1 overall wr for fields to throw to in moore. kind of hard to pass all that up for a rookie qb. We on the other hand don't have a recent first round pick at qb with upside in our ****nal to make that kind of decision

rhule should have picked fields two years ago and this is why we're in these shoes now. ( i do think bryce young and cj stroud are both better than fields in pro potential after watching them all significantly)

I agree losing dj moore hutrs, I have his jersey and everything. but how much did having dj moore help us the last 4 years?

it's very likely that the bears wouldn't have done the deal without moore and/or burns like some are mentioning and burns is infinitiely more valuable. they had leverage but if you get the first overall pick, you get your franchise back in the game and i'm just glad they're attempting to make moves rather than swinging for david carr and jimmy g's of the world

thielen just hit the market, ju ju is a free agent, deandre hopkinds is rumored to being shopped for a 2nd rounder(that we still have) and we still have a 2nd + 3rd round pick to spend on the wr corp. WR's are infinitely easier to come by than QB's and way cheaper until they get to superstardom and even then teams would rather trade them than pay them (see davante adams and ty hill)

Advertisement
Back