NFL OT - Carolina Panthers trade for the #1 overall pick

the ravens weren't a pernnial contender with lamar jackson. why do the panthers automatically become one by giving him an absolutely ridiculous contract?
Because 1….the Panthers play in the NFC! Last time I checked, there’s not as many great QBs or teams there.
And 2. The Panthers have better offensive weapons at his disposal than the Ravens…..

Advertisement
Because 1….the Panthers play in the NFC! Last time I checked, there’s not as many great QBs or teams there.
And 2. The Panthers have better offensive weapons at his disposal than with the Ravens…..
I'm just having discussion i'm not attempting to be argumentative

i'm a panthers fan

and i promise you now that we've given up CMC and DJ Moore, we do NOT have better offensive weapons than nearly anybody

there's rumors that we're going to trade a 2nd rounder for Deandre Hopkins (I pray to god that's legit)

but right now we have one of the worst skill player units in the league now that we just trade moore away

I'm sure they'll address in free agency, hopkins, maybe adam thielen, etc.

but lamar, cj stroud, bryce young, etc. all would have their hands full in carolina with nothing but a solid offensive HC and a great defense

I'm just having discussion i'm not attempting to be argumentative

i'm a panthers fan

and i promise you now that we've given up CMC and DJ Moore, we do NOT have better offensive weapons than nearly anybody

there's rumors that we're going to trade a 2nd rounder for Deandre Hopkins (I pray to god that's legit)

but right now we have one of the worst skill player units in the league now that we just trade moore away

I'm sure they'll address in free agency, hopkins, maybe adam thielen, etc.

but lamar, cj stroud, bryce young, etc. all would have their hands full in carolina with nothing but a solid offensive HC and a great defense
I’m not taking u being argumentative. I enjoy having good conversation. Discussions are cool. Yes giving CMc away was criminal, but yall still had better numbers from your offensive skill guys with straight up trash at the QB position, than the Ravens did, plus having a weaker schedule. It’s just one man’s opinion that yall would’ve been better to hold on to SOME of those draft picks, throw the money at Lamar, and use the draft picks that u didn’t give up, to build an offense around him. Instead of getting fleeced by the Bears, to get the number 1 pick to take the QB from UF, lol.
I hope like **** the Raiders can put together a deal for a talent like Lamar.

Yes, I understand that… but how much is being a perennial contender worth to you? That’s the question. You think it’s too expensive, I think it’s money well spent. 🤷🏾‍♂️

How does it automatically make them a contender? He's been hurt the past 2 seasons and running QBs don't typically get healthier with age. At some point, he's going to have to win more with his arms then his legs, especially with the contract he's demanding. Lamar has exceeded 3,000 passing yards once in his career. In an NFL where QBs are throwing 4,000-5,000, he doesn't break 3. 17-25 QB a year throw for 3,000. Roughly 10 per year throw for 4,000+. He hasn't surpassed 20 passing TDs the last 2 years. Only the Browns are dumb enough to give the contract they gave the Watson......and that is going to haunt them if he continues to suck like he did. The QB market is all jacked up right now and if a franchise overpays for the wrong guy, they can't get out from under it for years. At the right price Lamar is worth it, but not for what he's asking for in guarantees.

Advertisement
How does it automatically make them a contender? He's been hurt the past 2 seasons and running QBs don't typically get healthier with age. At some point, he's going to have to win more with his arms than his legs, especially with the contract he's demanding. Lamar has exceeded 3,000 passing yards once in his career. In an NFL where QBs are throwing 4,000-5,000, he doesn't break 3. 17-25 QB a year throw for 3,000. Roughly 10 per year throw for 4,000+. He hasn't surpassed 20 passing TDs the last 2 years. Only the Browns are dumb enough to give the contract they gave the Watson......and that is going to haunt them if he continues to suck like he did. The QB market is all jacked up right now and if a franchise overpays for the wrong guy, they can't get out from under it for years. At the right price Lamar is worth it, but not for what he's asking for in guarantees.
I prefaced my entire point, by saying a healthy Lamar. My exact words were, “barring injury”.
But anyways, back to ur question, “How does that automatically make them a contender?” Bruh…. they playing in the NFC South? What other QB/team in that division are you afraid of? Think about it. He’s QB1 in that division the moment he steps off the plane. He’s AT WORST, the 2nd best QB in the Conference. You could take a few draft picks and maybe a trade, and build a lethal offense with LJ under center. Look…Philly, SF…. who else? Dallas, 😂🤣😂? Rams? How are they not a contender? This in not the AFC.

Bad Business compared to what? Compared to Giants with Daniel Jones I'd argue it's good business.
First off his money isn’t close to what LJ wants and it’s front loaded. Secondly what does a bad contract with Jones / Giants have to do with LJ and the Ravens?One is bad business the other could paralyze a franchise. Tbh the only guys I’d pay anywhere close to what LJ wants would go on one hand. Actually I’d still have 1-2 fingers left. Your argument is kinda confusing since I wouldn’t have paid either , just like I wouldn’t have paid Watson all that guaranteed.

Just because one team is desperate and horribly ran doesn’t mean another team should give the same deal or close.

Last edited:
Advertisement
First off his money isn’t close to what LJ wants and it’s front loaded. Secondly what does a bad contract with Jones / Giants have to do with LJ and the Ravens?One is bad business the other could paralyze a franchise. Tbh the only guys I’d pay anywhere close to what LJ wants would go on one hand. Actually I’d still have 1-2 fingers left.
Carr got 100 mil guaranteed. 200 might be a lil too much but around 140 150 guaranteed is fair for Lamar imo. Mahomes got like 140 I believe

And 2. The Panthers have better offensive weapons at his disposal than the Ravens…..
That's completely false, Ravens offensive weapons aren't amazing but the Panthers might have the worst in the league.

There wasn't a single team that tried to get Lamar and it wasn't because of two first round picks, tons of team would be fine with that. The owners in the league aren't going to start giving QBs fully guaranteed contracts because they aren't complete morons. The only one dumb enough to do that is Haslem and a) the Browns are ****ed because of it b) all the other owners are ****ed at him for doing that as he's ruined the market.

They're now collectively trying to course correct now and get the market back to reality. There's a reason random teams started immediately saying they weren't pursuing Lamar right when he became available when the media didn't even ask them.

I'm a big Ravens fan and I'd love to keep Lamar but he's overvaluing himself by a lot.

Advertisement
No way in **** I touch Jackson with an enormous contract / guarantee. No way , no how. That’s bad business.
Yeah I think that fully guaranteed money has NFL GMs stepping back from any Lamar interest. Plus, Ravens get 5 days to match an offer..which pretty much forces other teams to overpay and fully guarantee it, and give up 2 1sts. One article I read, one GM basically said "why should we do Baltimore's dirty work for them? They'll just match any offer anyways."

Everyoneeee in front offices from what I've read is ****ed off at the Browns for that Watson contract. Them penny pinching billionaires don't want to be responsible for a full contract for any player.

Me personally? I'd take the bait because I'm sick of Kirk Cousins & that offense on paper sounds fun as ****...but this is also why I am not a GM lmao

Advertisement
There wasn't a single team that tried to get Lamar and it wasn't because of two first round picks, tons of team would be fine with that. The owners in the league aren't going to start giving QBs fully guaranteed contracts because they aren't complete morons. The only one dumb enough to do that is Haslem and a) the Browns are ****ed because of it b) all the other owners are ****ed at him for doing that as he's ruined the market.

They're now collectively trying to course correct now and get the market back to reality. There's a reason random teams started immediately saying they weren't pursuing Lamar right when he became available when the media didn't even ask them.

I'm a big Ravens fan and I'd love to keep Lamar but he's overvaluing himself by a lot.
The problem isn't elite QBs being paid, the problem is middling quarterbacks trying to be paid the highest. The things that Daniel Jones wanted at the beginning were so patheticly high for a barely middling QB, I thought for sure the Giants won't do it. Its the same with the WR market, I can't wait for Jakobi Meyers looking for north of 13 million dollars that he doesn't deserve at all.

Patrick Mahomes has the best contract as a QB for both the team and himself.

In regards to the trade, people don't have to speculate on whether which QBs are in the running.

When Carolina made the trade, they made the pick. If you're not sure whom to pick and you're not 100% certain whom to get, you don't make such a trade. They know who they are getting already.

For the Bears, this trade is almost a fleece. They get a #1 for their young QB, the ninth pick who could become hot commodity if a team has absolutely fallen in love with a prospect and they can trade down into the 15-20s and still get an elite player plus extra picks on Day 2 to load up on young talent.

If the Bears ***** this up, you can't help them anymore. You'd have to fire, GM, scouts, personnel executives, the whole ******* group.

Last edited:
No way in **** I touch Jackson with an enormous contract / guarantee. No way , no how. That’s bad business.

Agree. I don't think this is as complicated as people are making it. Lots of teams would love to have Jackson. And would pay him well, like Daniel Jones (Saturday morning @Brooklyndee trigger lol) or Carr well.

The problem is Jackson wants the Watson deal. The Watson deal was idiotic, being fully and completely guaranteed at that level. And no other team wants to emulate that idiocy for any QB, and the owners all want to make sure that was a one-time mistake, and not the new norm.

The problem with Jackson isn't his talent, it's that he's unsignable.

Advertisement
Back