OT: Bleep these clowns

My Son said they were clowns from 2005-2008...

Yeah...I won't name names...but I have a close friend from back in the day...Student Government, fraternity, Homecoming Committee, Iron Arrow, you name it, he did it. He's now a professor (not at UM), but obviously still very active at UM...

So I ran into him at Homecoming a few years ago, and I was asking him about what the fraternities were doing for the week, and he could not have been more negative in his assessment. It wasn't that long ago when the Greek system pretty much ran Student Government and Homecoming and all the honor societies, and now it's just an underground system for partying.

Back in the day, you could do Thursdays at the Rathskellar (Promo Night), followed by local bars, then do Friday night parties at fraternity houses and/or suites, and then go out to South Beach on Saturdays. Variety. The good old days.

Advertisement
Yeah...I won't name names...but I have a close friend from back in the day...Student Government, fraternity, Homecoming Committee, Iron Arrow, you name it, he did it. He's now a professor (not at UM), but obviously still very active at UM...

So I ran into him at Homecoming a few years ago, and I was asking him about what the fraternities were doing for the week, and he could not have been more negative in his assessment. It wasn't that long ago when the Greek system pretty much ran Student Government and Homecoming and all the honor societies, and now it's just an underground system for partying.
Partying and Spiking drinks go hand in hand...

Partying and Spiking drinks go hand in hand...

I guess that's what some of these kids think. Not saying it never happened in the 80s, I just never understood it. The losers who feel compelled to spike drinks might as well just spend the money on a Real Doll. Fewer legal issues.

I guess that's what some of these kids think. Not saying it never happened in the 80s, I just never understood it. The losers who feel compelled to spike drinks might as well just spend the money on a Real Doll. Fewer legal issues.
my cousins were in Pike and PiKappaPhi (emory and UF) and its very diff when they were in college to the culture now. one his brothers is the dollar shave club founder. another one does a ton of work for the dolphins cycling challenge. I agree at UM you dont need frat life to have a social life (I never joined bc I didnt feel the need to pay for friends), but ive seen some frats even today provide opps a lot of kids wouldn't get (connections to get jobs, help to get into grad programs, etc.).

Advertisement
Too much cocaine, Roids and money. Sig EPS haven’t changed much since the late 80’s apparently.
My only question is as to the women who would even attend their parties. These guys aren’t hiding their true nature if they are taking a video. So why go to a party of coked/roided up losers?

Too much cocaine, Roids and money. Sig EPS haven’t changed much since the late 80’s apparently.
My only question is as to the women who would even attend their parties. These guys aren’t hiding their true nature if they are taking a video. So why go to a party of coked/roided up losers?
a lot of times sororities set up **** like that.

I think we all know the answer to that...

Those women will CHAAAAAANGE those guys...

Advertisement
a lot of times sororities set up **** like that.
Exactly. Which helps explain why the women quoted did not want their last names included since one did not her sorority to know she was being quoted. Why would the women care considering she is a victim unless her sorority had some level of involvement, at least in scheduling the party.

One of the least surprising UM news stories ever.

Sig Ep has been a problem...for a long time...

Yes, they were founded at UM in 1949 and used to have a house. Older UM alums will remember that there was a fraternity house on San Amaro right across the street from Mark Light, between the Sigma Chi house and AllSports/AllCanes. Sig Ep lost the house during the 1970s and UM converted it to a university building. In the 1980s/90s, it housed the Dance program, but it has since been torn down (the Newman Alumni Center is now there).

When Sig Ep returned in the 1980s, they were over in the Panhellenic Building, and they were the "Animal House" fraternity. For a while, they were the only fraternity with a membership of more than 100 guys, but they were easily the worst-behaved of all. My fraternity was in the same building and...I saw some stuff...the Sig Ep parties were legendary for horrible drunken behavior, and the cops had to intervene in many of them.

Also, I think this was in the early 1990s, it was a couple of Sig Ep brothers who were selling drugs out of Mahoney-Pearson. It was so bad that the police raided the building without notifying UM Housing, which was unprecedented at the time (the story was that the cops pulled a 21 Jump Street on Sig Ep, sending in an undercover cop to pledge the fraternity).

The only two "good" things to come out of Sig Ep were former Student Government presidents Joe Garcia (also a former US Congressman) and Bill Barzee (local Miami attorney), each of whom were arrested at separate UM home football games in 1986 and 1987 respectively while each was serving as Student Government president. Bill actually got a settlement of around $75K for getting roughed up by the Miami cops during his arrest. I had the singular displeasure of losing out on UM-UF football tickets in 1986 when I was fifth in line for away-game tickets in the University Center breezeway, because Joe Garcia let a bunch of Sig Eps cut in front of me in line to buy the very limited supply of tickets. I ended up having to get one of my Gaytor friends from high school buy me a student ticket instead, but it all ended up working out for the best when we beat the Gaytors in Hogtown for the last time of the annual rivalry game.

Nobody should be surprised by this Sig Ep story. That fraternity has been the worst-of-the-worst for over 35 years. Good riddance.
I was a sigep in the early 90s before they had the narc as a pledge LOL. And yes that did happen. There were over 100 brothers at the time and to be honest I liked maybe half of them. But the half I did like were actually good guys. Smart, hard working, ambitious. Good people who I am proud to call my friends. Not saying people didn't do dumb stuff(everyone did on occasion whether you were in a fraternity or not) but nothing that ever rose to this level. A lot of the brothers from that time have gone on to be pretty successful. ****, the indoor practice field(just the field) is named after one.

Point being you can't throw everyone into the same pool. There were good and not so good people in most of the fraternities back then and ALL of them partied.

my cousins were in Pike and PiKappaPhi (emory and UF) and its very diff when they were in college to the culture now. one his brothers is the dollar shave club founder. another one does a ton of work for the dolphins cycling challenge. I agree at UM you dont need frat life to have a social life (I never joined bc I didnt feel the need to pay for friends), but ive seen some frats even today provide opps a lot of kids wouldn't get (connections to get jobs, help to get into grad programs, etc.).
A lot of those opportunities can be gotten by volunteering and being active in other organizations, ones that dont have the negative connotations. Let's be honest, most Greek letter organizations are incubators of class distinctions and the good old boy network. Minority Greek letter organizations tend to be a bit different, but they have issues in regards to hazing as well.

this stuff really isnt uncommon in the frat world but it should end asap or suspend all greek life nationwide. the problem is that its not all of them. there's always gonna be ****** people everywhere you go on every campus, but its the group think that leads to this ****. some guys afraid of speaking up (in the hurricane article you had some girls afraid to speak up for fear of their sorority who should also be banned if thats the case) and others just follow the crowd. like anything, if you know what's going on and dont do anything to prevent it and instead allow it to occur, youre part of the problem too. there are some frats out there that do make a diff and provide opportunities for kids they wouldn't have gotten.
Greek life at my alma mater was heavy against this, except sigma pi. Those guys were banned everywhere from any other house so they really just preyed on freshmen. Ought to start cutting or hanging those PoS

Advertisement
A lot of those opportunities can be gotten by volunteering and being active in other organizations, ones that dont have the negative connotations. Let's be honest, most Greek letter organizations are incubators of class distinctions and the good old boy network. Minority Greek letter organizations tend to be a bit different, but they have issues in regards to hazing as well.
depends on the minority org. the multicultural ones are diff culture ones (take the south asian frats)

Advertisement
Back