OT: Best Recruiter in College Sports

Advertisement
It's not exactly difficult to recruit at either of those schools in their respective sports.
"great" recruiters are overrated. Successful schools sell themselves these days.
The great recruiters were guys like Bobby Bowden and Schnellenberger who were able to get great kids to come to schools that had no history of success.

I don't recall Billy Gillespie or Mike Shula lighting the recruiting world on fire.

Hence "these days".

Did Saban and Cal not build their program, by exceptional recruiting, to the level it's at "these days"

And both guys had major success at the college programs before their current job.

Kentucky recruits itself, for sure. Cal has bolstered it to new heights, but recruiting at Kentucky is not difficult.

That said, Cal is the best recruiter in sports.

Do you really think Cal is a great "recruiter"? I think it depends on what you think a recruiter really is. Everyone outside of Lexington and SEC headquarters(aka NCAA headquarters) know how he is getting all those players. And just like the other places he has coached at...its only a matter of time before they go on probation.

Advertisement
Yeah. Who in his right mind would want to play for Kentucky?
Packed games
Best fans
Best facilities
The history
Pretty much guaranteed final four
First round NBA

Must be cheating

GTFOH

Last edited:
Yeah. Who in his right mind would want to play for Kentucky?
Packed games
Best fans
Best facilities
The history
Pretty much guaranteed final four
First round NBA

Must be cheating

GTFOH

Cause the previous schools that Cal has been at never got in trouble. And it wasnt that way before Cal got there as far as first round NBA, guaranteed final four, etc...
You really think all these McD's all american, first round NBA kids are going to college for one year to only play 20 minutes a game cause Cal can "coach"?

LMFAO at anyone not saying Geno Auriemma. Cal at Kentucky, please....he can't hold a candle next to Auriemma. Nobody currently can.

Advertisement
He labeled Cal as the best in the sport and that's clearly not the case. I suspect he'll say he only meant men's basketball, but I'd bet he didn't even think of Geno.

Cal, I wouldn't put him as the best recruiter under men's basketball either. He offers something a lot of schools have no interest in, that's playing for what amounts to a mercenary team. Everyone else prefers mixing in a few one/two and done's with guys that'll stay there three or four years. That has proven to be the more successful path and the perception is better as well. There's a lot of coaches I'd put up there with him at the traditional power programs who've been more successful than him.

I don't know that Cal is dirty now, he certainly was before the UK job. UK is a different kind of animal though, a dream school for any basketball star.

He labeled Cal as the best in the sport and that's clearly not the case. I suspect he'll say he only meant men's basketball, but I'd bet he didn't even think of Geno.

Cal, I wouldn't put him as the best recruiter under men's basketball either. He offers something a lot of schools have no interest in, that's playing for what amounts to a mercenary team. Everyone else prefers mixing in a few one/two and done's with guys that'll stay there three or four years. That has proven to be the more successful path and the perception is better as well. There's a lot of coaches I'd put up there with him at the traditional power programs who've been more successful than him.

I don't know that Cal is dirty now, he certainly was before the UK job. UK is a different kind of animal though, a dream school for any basketball star.

First off, schools don't recruit or not recruit kids because they are one and done. Schools go after the best player. Cal happens to get the best players each year and those same players turn out to be one and done because they are that good. It's not like schools told Anthony Davis you can only come here if you promise to stay for more than a year.

You're right, I didn't think about Geno, but even then I don't think he has been as good as Cal. If you disagree then explain why. Cal and Saban both get the top recruiting classes each year in their sport.

Advertisement
Do you really think Cal is a great "recruiter"? I think it depends on what you think a recruiter really is. Everyone outside of Lexington and SEC headquarters(aka NCAA headquarters) know how he is getting all those players. And just like the other places he has coached at...its only a matter of time before they go on probation.

This.
I almost feel like you gotts find a coach or school that consistently gets great recruits without the benefit of being a national contender. A guy like saban deserves all his praise but at this point he pretty much just gets to pick who he wants before "the field" gets a crack.

Advertisement
1. Coach cal
2. Urban Meyers
3.nick sabon/Les miles

You can't put Meyer ahead of Saban as a recruiter. Saban has been number 1 the last 4-5 years. We are talking recruiter, not coach.

Urban always has his team top 3 in recruting I'm pretty sure he finished about nick sabon a few times. Jimbo had the number one class last year

Maybe we are using different ranking sites. I was using ESPN.

It's not exactly difficult to recruit at either of those schools in their respective sports.
"great" recruiters are overrated. Successful schools sell themselves these days.
The great recruiters were guys like Bobby Bowden and Schnellenberger who were able to get great kids to come to schools that had no history of success.

I don't recall Billy Gillespie or Mike Shula lighting the recruiting world on fire.

Hence "these days".

Because five or ten years ago is somehow ancient history? Gillispie got fired in 2009. When exactly do "these days" start? Further, what universal and fundamental change in the mindset of high school athletes has taken place in the past five years? What was it that Stanford started selling (coincidentally whatever it was they started selling it at the same time that they hired Harbaugh) to start landing good players? What did Michigan quit selling?

I get what you're trying to say and I agree with it to a point. But if recruiting success is due solely to successful schools selling themselves, and you'd agree there are a more than a couple of attractive schools for players to choose from, what is most likely the most important variable when it comes to convincing them to make a certain decision?

Real Talk, did AL GOlden rape a kid at Ped State? I'm hearing some crazy rumors on their board.

Like a couple of juniors, and four sophomores to go along w four freshmen?

Calipari was all in on upping the nba entry age. Another point of his recruiting is he has to fill three times more spots annually.

And if you think Cal or UK is scurred of a two and done rule, refer to his team this year

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back