OT: Best Recruiter in College Sports

wherrera8

Senior
Banned
Things are slow on here and I come on everyday and see the usual threads, so I wanted to see people's opinions.

Real Talk:

Who is the best recruiter in College Sports: Nick Saban, or John Callipari?

Those are the best in the business at their respective sports so I wanted to see what others think.

I think Callipari is the better recruiter. Saban might be the better coach.

Callipari's draft resume is pretty phenomenal though.

Derrick Rose, John Wall, Anthony Davis- all number 1 overall picks and all solid players. Meanwhile, we know a lot of the Alabama guys have busted.

By best recruiter, I mean after Al Golden of course, he's the standard so I didn't think it was fair to throw him in the conversation.

Advertisement
It's not exactly difficult to recruit at either of those schools in their respective sports.
"great" recruiters are overrated. Successful schools sell themselves these days.
The great recruiters were guys like Bobby Bowden and Schnellenberger who were able to get great kids to come to schools that had no history of success.

Last edited:
SEC plays by different rules

This.

l.jpg

Advertisement
Things are slow on here and I come on everyday and see the usual threads, so I wanted to see people's opinions.

Real Talk:

Who is the best recruiter in College Sports: Nick Saban, or John Callipari?

Those are the best in the business at their respective sports so I wanted to see what others think.

I think Callipari is the better recruiter. Saban might be the better coach.

Callipari's draft resume is pretty phenomenal though.

Derrick Rose, John Wall, Anthony Davis- all number 1 overall picks and all solid players. Meanwhile, we know a lot of the Alabama guys have busted.

By best recruiter, I mean after Al Golden of course, he's the standard so I didn't think it was fair to throw him in the conversation.

Not throwing him in is fine, really? "after Al Golden", well, best recruiter may not be too far fetch considering what his recruits will likely get after buying in Golden's process.

If Saban or Callipari can say "I have prime swampland in Florida to sell you around the Everglades" with the best view of "pristine water and condition" and still reel in 4* recruit/buyers, then I'd say they might be better than Golden Al . But since those guys deliver Championships, most recently, than how much of a best recruiter do you have to be to gather in buyers into your pitch, a pitch thart includes recent excellent results.

However, it is Golden Al who has been securing the most of good Football players while selling them on buying in the process. This is done while virtually delivering not much, but a losing proposition via this process. Of course, Al could tell his recruit/buyers that Disney land was developed on swamp land just as he could say that UM develops Football Champion ballas (even it appears to suck as a process), so recruit/buyers can imagine that they can be developed into Champion ballas just as Disney Land can be developed from swamp land. Al Golden can even tell recruit/buyers that the Koch Brothers are contracted to buy elite swamp land in Florida to develop and prosper, in spite of being swamp land in the Everglades; "Can't judge a book by its cover", said Golden Al... and neither can a fine buyer like you judge Golden Al's UM by its record under Golden Al & his Golden Owls posse. And so Golden can develop YOU as Champion caliber balla, even as...

`

The best there never was: Al Golden.

It's not exactly difficult to recruit at either of those schools in their respective sports.
"great" recruiters are overrated. Successful schools sell themselves these days.
The great recruiters were guys like Bobby Bowden and Schnellenberger who were able to get great kids to come to schools that had no history of success.

I don't recall Billy Gillespie or Mike Shula lighting the recruiting world on fire.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1. Alfred Golden - simply GOD LIKE in his ability to assess talent, pick diamonds in the rough, steal from the competition, coach 'em up. Proof of his status are the consecutive ACC titles, and his bond with the fans, that he loves.

2 through 278 - every one else

279 - an unborn coach

280. Butch Davis < BOO HISS BOO. If he was good: he too would have received a contract extension; would have entertained going to Penn State. I mean, where are his PILLARS, RENEWALS, and most important, his WEFENCE!

Coach Cal is playing with NBA talent in college. 50 percent of his players are 1 and done players that would be in the nba if it wasn't for that rule.

Advertisement

I don't recall Billy Gillespie or Mike Shula lighting the recruiting world on fire.

Hence "these days".

Hence "these days".

Did Saban and Cal not build their program, by exceptional recruiting, to the level it's at "these days"

And both guys had major success at the college programs before their current job.

Advertisement
Back