OT: Best high school player you ever saw in person?

Got a list..Played against these guys in high school plus some more but these guys stuck out.

Reshad Jones
Janoris Jenkins
Micanor Regis
Tavarres King
C.J. Spiller
Antone Smith

C.J. Spiller was by far the fastest player I ever went against. Antone Smith was the best player overall..

Talked to him on the field after going head to head every play in the state championship game (played LB) and told him to sign w/ Miami.. he said “why?! you going there? I just laughed and said “nah but thats the move! Do it!”

Didn’t play them but watched Pac-Man Jones, Marcus Ball, and Geno Hayes...they were absolutely amazing players in HS...

I played against Tavarres King for 3 years absolute beast and nice guy. I root for him, till this day in the NFL. His voice sounds like tito odenigbo that just transfered here tho lol.

Advertisement
As far as basketball, I would say Lou Williams. His senior year he played against JJ Hickson for the state title at Ga Tech's old arena. That place was packed! I caught Zion play last year absolute beast but his team lost by 20 lol. He's a once a decade player playing on a trash team.

I played against Tavarres King for 3 years absolute beast and nice guy. I root for him, till this day in the NFL. His voice sounds like tito odenigbo that just transfered here tho lol.

Yea he was the best player on the field that game as a sophomore.. And Sham’s O-line was huge.. all 6-5+... had a few College players but no one I could remember..

Beating them the whole game.. 17-0 in the fourth.. they threw a couple slants to King and both plays he juked out our entire defense twice! Each time for a TD like a video game... swear he broke 20 tackles in two plays lmao...Barely held on to beat them 17-14...

i would have to say...Earl Campbell, played against E ****erson and C james(*****), Earl Thomas, coached Jerry Ball in hs. back when Cosell called MNF he always referred to SE Texas as the pro football capitol of the world, that was before the 305 takeover

Yea he was the best player on the field that game as a sophomore.. And Sham’s O-line was huge.. all 6-5+... had a few College players but no one I could remember..

Beating them the whole game.. 17-0 in the fourth.. they threw a couple slants to King and both plays he juked out our entire defense twice! Each time for a TD like a video game... swear he broke 20 tackles in two plays lmao...Barely held on to beat them 17-14...

Lol them country mountain boys at habersham central. Their OLine was unreal every year. I loved going to Sham and playing them. Sounds petty but they would call out the starting lineups b4 the game. That was major **** lol.

Advertisement
Lol them country mountain boys at habersham central. Their OLine was unreal every year. I loved going to Sham and playing them. Sounds petty but they would call out the starting lineups b4 the game. That was major **** lol.

Memphis, i know you aint that old, and i take it your from memphis, but if you were old enough you would have got to see Elvis and his gang playing football in the vacant lot across from Humes which they did alot, boy now that would put you in rare air. Elvis, Red West, Sonny West, George klein, red was actually a huge star at Humes in all sports. E had to pay out millions for people Red beat up as a body guard lol

Memphis, i know you aint that old, and i take it your from memphis, but if you were old enough you would have got to see Elvis and his gang playing football in the vacant lot across from Humes which they did alot, boy now that would put you in rare air. Elvis, Red West, Sonny West, George klein, red was actually a huge star at Humes in all sports. E had to pay out millions for people Red beat up as a body guard lol

Dope story! I'm going on 27 lol. I've heard stories about Elvis staying in some projects by Humes, never knew he was athletic. If your from the Tennessee area Texx and you have seen the actual Elvis license plate you can buy. My aunt came up with that design and has the original first plate!

I would have to say Gerald Tinker. There's a vast gap between football fast and Olympic gold medal fast. Tinker was the latter category and it really showed up on the field for Coral Gables. Sometimes he wouldn't even pick the ideal path but he was so ridiculously fast he cold out run his mistakes. One time he caught a sideline pass and ran almost directly across the field to the opposing sideline, and then reversed course and did the same thing in the opposite direction. It was like he was toying with defenders. He eventually straightened out and scored a touchdown on that play. I remember all the laughter in the stands, since it seemed so unfair.

My dad took me to see many Coral Gables games during that late '60s/early '70s heyday under Nick Kotys. It was like a mini college team. Plus there was surreal pageantry especially for the annual Thanksgiving Day game at Central Stadium against Southwest. I feel sorry for younger guys who never got to experience anything remotely resembling that atmosphere for a high school game.

There were other great players like Neal Colzie and Frank Ortega on those teams. Even at that age I knew I was witnessing something special. But Tinker stands out in memory due to the raw speed.

Dad always insisted he took me to see a game with Ted Hendricks as a high school player for Hialeah. But I was too young to remember it.
Great memories! My dad took me to all those Thanksgiving day games growing up. Left one in the 70’s before Gables scored on the last play. Cried when I figured out I was zoned for Palmetto. We knocked off Springs w/ F Miles and Lomas Brown in ‘80 . Dennis McKinnon( S. Miami), Michael Sutton( Killian), Tony Smith (Ridge), Buster Rymes (NW) stood out as guys we played against. We ran the veer at Palmetto & hardest I ever got hit was by John McVeigh (Columbus) & Fuad Reveiz (Sunset/Dolphins kicker) when he played LB. lol

Advertisement
Dope story! I'm going on 27 lol. I've heard stories about Elvis staying in some projects by Humes, never knew he was athletic. If your from the Tennessee area Texx and you have seen the actual Elvis license plate you can buy. My aunt came up with that design and has the original first plate!

i'm Texasbred but i sure would love to have one of those plates lol. You need to tell your aunt to will you that plate and by the time your my age it will be worth big money. I need to come hit Beale and get down on some blue's, go outside and burn one and get down some more, been to damm long

I very BEST I ever saw were Allen Iverson in VA, and Thurman Thomas, Eric ****erson, Jerry Ball in TX All were unstoppable in H.S.

Main, you listed 2 of the same guys i did, when/how did you see Jerry Ball ? dude went from HS running back to nose tackle lol Are you from around here ? I went to Westbrook

Advertisement
Noel Devine. Dude was unstoppable in high school and to this day has the best highlight tape I've ever seen. He was a little on the small side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great memories! My dad took me to all those Thanksgiving day games growing up. Left one in the 70’s before Gables scored on the last play. Cried when I figured out I was zoned for Palmetto. We knocked off Springs w/ F Miles and Lomas Brown in ‘80 . Dennis McKinnon( S. Miami), Michael Sutton( Killian), Tony Smith (Ridge), Buster Rymes (NW) stood out as guys we played against. We ran the veer at Palmetto & hardest I ever got hit was by John McVeigh (Columbus) & Fuad Reveiz (Sunset/Dolphins kicker) when he played LB. lol

You mean Reggie Sutton from Killian? Great option QB became great CB at Miami and went on to have pro career.

Advertisement
i'm Texasbred but i sure would love to have one of those plates lol. You need to tell your aunt to will you that plate and by the time your my age it will be worth big money. I need to come hit Beale and get down on some blue's, go outside and burn one and get down some more, been to damm long

Lol I'm on her *** about that plate. No doubt man. Memphis in May is a good time to come! Unlimited BBQ, Beale St, women and last years music festival was the best lineup they've had in a while. Hopefully they build on that. Coming your way for the LSU game.

Brad, when did you see TJ play man, thats my territory, and Jimmy's hs at that, you from The Golden T ?

I lived in Beaumont for a couple years, just a few years ago though. I worked there as a sports reporter. I didn't see them play but I heard Earl Thomas and Jamaal Charles were two of the greatest out of that area.

Anquan Bolden. Couldn’t be stopped. His junior year we beat them. His senior year he was on another level.

Advertisement
Back