OT: Bama's Defense is smoke & mirrors of late in post season

jackedaround

Junior
Check out the below. In the last 4 years they are giving up 40.5 points , 27 1st downs and 507 yards per game. Compare this to the prior 4 years in post season games of 11 points, 12 1st downs and 210 yards.

Untitled.jpg

Advertisement
Last 4 years they've played up-tempo spread teams vs the previous ones. Bama has also had trouble against Ole Miss and Texas AM. Saban is trying to change the rules for a reason.

I think you are going a bit overboard to say it is "smoke and mirrors" based on statistics against three really good offenses the last three seasons and an inspired OU in the Sugar Bowl a few years back.

If you look at it in context there are not many defenses in modern football that stop great offenses consistently due to the rules of the game that favor offensive separation and protecting the QB. But Bama is consistent with their game plan and their scheme and it makes them tough to beat in crunch time without epic performances by teams/individuals.

I think you are going a bit overboard to say it is "smoke and mirrors" based on statistics against three really good offenses the last three seasons and an inspired OU in the Sugar Bowl a few years back.

If you look at it in context there are not many defenses in modern football that stop great offenses consistently due to the rules of the game that favor offensive separation and protecting the QB. But Bama is consistent with their game plan and their scheme and it makes them tough to beat in crunch time without epic performances by teams/individuals.

averages with bama included, only dragged down numbers. you can see bama holds them way below what they were doing all year.

avg.png

As opposed to not holding these teams below what they were doing. Being par for the course.

avg 2.png

Last edited:
Check out the below. In the last 4 years they are giving up 40.5 points , 27 1st downs and 507 yards per game. Compare this to the prior 4 years in post season games of 11 points, 12 1st downs and 210 yards.

View attachment 41442

Jesus - I know it was 5 years ago and doesn't matter today, but I didn't remember that Alabama had held LSU to 92 total yards; I thought for sure that was a typo. That is embarrassing in general, never mind the National Championship.

Advertisement
You think that has to do with 'bama or the fact that an overrated Texas, Michigan St or LSU team was facing them? Seems like the CFP is starting to get the right teams in despite SEC bias.

that lsu title game was a joke, not sure if they would've won but i know ok st would've given them more of a game, and in the texas game they lucked out when colt mccoy got injured in the first quarter

Advertisement
You think that has to do with 'bama or the fact that an overrated Texas, Michigan St or LSU team was facing them? Seems like the CFP is starting to get the right teams in despite SEC bias.

Could be but in the last 4 years the only conventional offense that has gained over 300 yards against their D was Arkansas (335yds) in 2014....I don't think any other defense has come close to accomplishing that.

Advertisement
But some of you MF's still wanna run the **** I-formation around here. SMH

"The spread offense is soft."
"The spread offense doesn't win national championships."

I cant believe people who say this. The game has changed! They essentially want us to look like GT. Clemson had a walk on wr killing Bama defense full of NFL talent, the spread can do that. Go look at Dabo record before he bought in Chad Morris to install spread, Clemson was a verb and a 6-7 team the year before. After that they became a 10+ win team every year and winning conference titles, to playoff contention and now national champs.

We can sit here and say we want to see Marquez catch passes in the flats or whatever but the game has evolved soo much and the teams who have embraced it have seen wayyy more success than we have in last 10 years. Clemson in 5 years went from being a verb to beating Meyers and saban Bama for national championship. Wow

I see why Richt wanted Perry.... you need a kid that can run and throw the ball. Right now pocket passing QBS aren't doing it

Advertisement

I see why Richt wanted Perry.... you need a kid that can run and throw the ball. Right now pocket passing QBS aren't doing it

That is a good step in right direction but you cant put square peg in round hole either. You have to put them in system to succeed, taking a qb who probably never been under center and then asking him to read defenses like an NFL qb, that takes time. Thats why you see these pro style type offenses needing really mature qb. While spread is more plug and play. If you commit to a guy like that, make his job as easy as possible and fully commit to put him in position to succeed.

Watching FS1 Undisputed and Cris Carter was a guess this morning and he flat out roasted Nick Saben as a DB coach...saying that he gets all the quote; unquote 5* players and all they can or are taught to do is grab on and bully WR' s in college game...Chris and Shannon Sharpe both agreed at the next level (NFL) Alabama DB's lack proper technique to be successful at the next level...they are not taught to back pedal or how to recognize basic WR alignments...last play of the game last night was exactly what Chris was referring to...BUST

Almost every go route Clemson ran last night was a hold or PI. Never was called! The score should have been worse.

It's not that the spread offense is unstoppable. Plenty of teams made Clemson look ordinary this year. It's that Alabama's defense is geared to stop the types of offenses it sees regularly. A big strong front seven that overpowers opposing teams' running game. Nobody in the SEC outside of Mississippi and TAMU can complete a forward pass consistently so Saban gears his defense towards stopping the traditional run-first offenses they play against week in and week out. For a guy who prides himself on personally working with the secondary, Saban's DBs are pretty average outside of Fitzpatrick.

Advertisement
Back