OT: Bama's Defense is smoke & mirrors of late in post season

I think a lot of the misconception about the spread comes from the fact that it was pioneered by teams that couldn't compete with big fronts so they spread them out. I think the fringes of our fanbase might argue for pro-style, I-formation all of the time, but I think the majority of us want to see multiple looks.

Power football and a spread offense aren't incompatible and I think Clemson showed that last night. They have a big-boy oline and run plenty of power running plays (a little less last night, but that was dictated by the defense they were facing). Once we get a big-boy oline in place, there is not reason we can't run down people's throats and spread them out in the same game.

Advertisement
I think a lot of the misconception about the spread comes from the fact that it was pioneered by teams that couldn't compete with big fronts so they spread them out. I think the fringes of our fanbase might argue for pro-style, I-formation all of the time, but I think the majority of us want to see multiple looks.

Power football and a spread offense aren't incompatible and I think Clemson showed that last night. They have a big-boy oline and run plenty of power running plays (a little less last night, but that was dictated by the defense they were facing). Once we get a big-boy oline in place, there is not reason we can't run down people's throats and spread them out in the same game.
You can flash power running from spread sets.

When I watched us play Marquez Williams early in the season and throughout the FSU game, I wanted to bash my own skull. Late in that game, we were literally all over the place: 22 personnel with Njoku and Herndon tight, next play I-form, next play 4WR Njoku in slot. I think Richt was figuring things out on the go and, even in the bowl game, eventually conceded to spreading out and throwing the ball downfield.

That said, you can still run power, counters, inside zones, and much more from the spread. Lots of misconceptions and apparently people don't watch the NFL.

Watching FS1 Undisputed and Cris Carter was a guess this morning and he flat out roasted Nick Saben as a DB coach...saying that he gets all the quote; unquote 5* players and all they can or are taught to do is grab on and bully WR' s in college game...Chris and Shannon Sharpe both agreed at the next level (NFL) Alabama DB's lack proper technique to be successful at the next level...they are not taught to back pedal or how to recognize basic WR alignments...last play of the game last night was exactly what Chris was referring to...BUST

Well they both sound like idiots saying that. Saban is by far the best defensive coach in college football. He's an innovator and is responsible for inventing some of the defensive concepts we see today. (i.e. pattern matching zone)

They aren't taught back pedaling because that's not apart of their scheme. Not every DC prefers the back pedal technique, some prefer the scooch step. I've seen him live at a clinic and I can personally guarantee you that he recognizes basic WR alignments.

Alabama's CB's aren't that successful on the next level cause they're simply not that good. Their skills don't translate to the NFL game. He plays a lot of Quarters and Cover-3 and he likes big CB's. Most of them are too slow and can only play zone. (that doesn't fly in the NFL, gotta be able to play man)

The CB's that Miami had in our heyday sucked in the NFL too. Our CB's never amounted to anything in the league. Guys like Kelly Jennings, Mike Rumph, Antrelle Rolle, etc...never translated to the NFL at Corner. Mainly for the same reason Saban's CB's don't.

You can flash power running from spread sets.

When I watched us play Marquez Williams early in the season and throughout the FSU game, I wanted to bash my own skull. Late in that game, we were literally all over the place: 22 personnel with Njoku and Herndon tight, next play I-form, next play 4WR Njoku in slot. I think Richt was figuring things out on the go and, even in the bowl game, eventually conceded to spreading out and throwing the ball downfield.

That said, you can still run power, counters, inside zones, and much more from the spread. Lots of misconceptions and apparently people don't watch the NFL.

Beat me to it.

Watching FS1 Undisputed and Cris Carter was a guess this morning and he flat out roasted Nick Saben as a DB coach...saying that he gets all the quote; unquote 5* players and all they can or are taught to do is grab on and bully WR' s in college game...Chris and Shannon Sharpe both agreed at the next level (NFL) Alabama DB's lack proper technique to be successful at the next level...they are not taught to back pedal or how to recognize basic WR alignments...last play of the game last night was exactly what Chris was referring to...BUST

Well they both sound like idiots saying that. Saban is by far the best defensive coach in college football. He's an innovator and is responsible for inventing some of the defensive concepts we see today. (i.e. pattern matching zone)

They aren't taught back pedaling because that's not apart of their scheme. Not every DC prefers the back pedal technique, some prefer the scooch step. I've seen him live at a clinic and I can personally guarantee you that he recognizes basic WR alignments.

Alabama's CB's aren't that successful on the next level cause they're simply not that good. Their skills don't translate to the NFL game. He plays a lot of Quarters and Cover-3 and he likes big CB's. Most of them are too slow and can only play zone. (that doesn't fly in the NFL, gotta be able to play man)

The CB's that Miami had in our heyday sucked in the NFL too. Our CB's never amounted to anything in the league. Guys like Kelly Jennings, Mike Rumph, Antrelle Rolle, etc...never translated to the NFL at Corner. Mainly for the same reason Saban's CB's don't.

They suck because they lack the antler spray supply.

Advertisement

So what's the difference in what I said compared to that long drawn out excuse for why Alabama DBs suck in the NFL...?

So what's the difference in what I said compared to that long drawn out excuse for why Alabama DBs suck in the NFL...?

I was just trying to be sarcastic. Bama's DB's aren't the only position that bust in the NFL.

Like I said I thought Bama was overrated at midseason. Extremely talented team but to say 1 of all time greats is asinine. DBs were very mediocre especially after Jackson(another Fort Lauderdale native) broke his leg.

Uh, cause you said that Saban was being roasted for his coaching and his DB's lack technique in the NFL as well as him not understanding WR alignment.

That's retarded. Sharpe and Carter are idiots.

Advertisement

Uh, cause you said that Saban was being roasted for his coaching and his DB's lack technique in the NFL as well as him not understanding WR alignment.

Sharpe an idiot? Noooooooooooooo say it isn't so.

Ok, so then why'd you reference him? lol

Macho, care to explain the "scooch" step? Is it similar to what Pete Carroll has his DBs do in Seattle? I remember reading an article about Cary Williams learning the step kick technique but didn't get a visual on what that technique actually entailed. Thanks.

Ok, so then why'd you reference him? lol

I didn't wrong dude bro.

Advertisement

Macho, care to explain the "scooch" step? Is it similar to what Pete Carroll has his DBs do in Seattle? I remember reading an article about Cary Williams learning the step kick technique but didn't get a visual on what that technique actually entailed. Thanks.

It's basically just a shuffle utilized in zone coverage. Rather than back-pedaling and having to open your hips all the way up to run, you're just shuffling so that your hips are always open. (better for slower CB's)

When the ball's snapped you take 3 shuffles while reading the QB's drop. If it's a 3-step drop you know you have to break on the ball right now. (slant, hitch, etc)
If it's a 5-step drop then you simply transition your shuffle to a sprint. Easy transition cause your hips are already open.

I prefer it because I usually have CB's that aren't very fast or athletic and they struggle to open up their hips from a back-pedal.

Name one DB that Saban has coached that has panned out in the league...I'll wait. I never said they were not good in college!!

Advertisement
So despite having their choice of five star corners, Alabama purposely goes after slower, less athletic corners that can't play man? Makes sense.:monkey-serious:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back