OT- Bags

Ok you guys are missing my point. I don’t think I worded my question properly.

What’s illegal about paying someone to do something that isn’t inherently illegal?

I could understand if the payee were being charged w tax evasion, but what is the payor doing that’s illegal?

Advertisement
Missing my point... they aren’t being charged with tax evasion. So what’s illegal about paying someone to do something.

That’s The conundrum. No one said getting payed to go to x school was criminal offense. But it is a huge ncaa violation. But when you start talking about the alleged money ammount involved over years and to multiple players; then absolutely the irs gets involved and criminal charges can be brought against either the player, family, school or parties involved.

Sounds like an unregistered, un-licensed business is paying for services rendered to a person (maybe a minor) who is not claiming the income. There are state and federal consequences here on both ends. Its an un-regulated industry that will end up taking advantage of the kids...

If taxes are paid on the money, I don’t get why there is any criminal liability.

There might be but taxes is the big deal. Then on the donor side failure to file with irs also can be painfull. If it goes that way, football could lead to RICO actions against some very large $$$ piles. Just need a fame hungry us attorney .

Advertisement

What’s illegal about paying someone to do something that isn’t inherently illegal?

I could understand if the payee were being charged w tax evasion, but what is the payor doing that’s illegal?

Don't waste your time. The mob is out for blood and neither reason nor logic will deter their bloodlust.

Advertisement
There might be but taxes is the big deal. Then on the donor side failure to file with irs also can be painfull. If it goes that way, football could lead to RICO actions against some very large $$$ piles. Just need a fame hungry us attorney .
They aren’t being charged w tax crimes tho. I can see RICO but what’s the underlying crime.

Sounds like an unregistered, un-licensed business is paying for services rendered to a person (maybe a minor) who is not claiming the income. There are state and federal consequences here on both ends. Its an un-regulated industry that will end up taking advantage of the kids...
The business here is adidas. They’re not untegistered. Other than tax crimes tho... what’s there? They aren’t being charged w tax evasion.

Advertisement
No.. I said paying someone to do something that’s not inherently illegal.

Your words

“Missing my point... they aren’t being charged with tax evasion. So what’s illegal about paying someone to do something.”

Maybe you should edit quicker next time.

The Foundations have networks. Bob gives a "bag" to Joe, who in turn hands it to "Alex", etc... Every now and again someone steals the "bag", BUT they are no longer on the payroll and sacrifice their salary in future years. The guys who "hand over" the bags are well compensated, and have been doing this for YEARS, so very few bags are now stolen. Also, the bags look the same and are locked, so you can never tell how much is in the bag...........

OF COURSE it is illegal. Bama pays up to $250,000 per player. Bama alone is providing millions in "taxable" income that these families never report. Over the past 15 years, Bama has provided at LEAST $30M in cash payments that should have been taxed at 40%.

Louisville's mistake was paying through Adidas. They needed to set up a "Foundation", like the SEC football schools did.

Also, the SEC is assuredly taking copious notes during the basketball hearings and using this knowledge to make the FOundation even less permeable!

Advertisement
I have zero problem with schools buying players. None.

1538750092536.png

If taxes are paid on the money, I don’t get why there is any criminal liability.

Yeah because they are paying capital gains tax on 100k plus when its 2-3 times their yearly income. They aren't paying taxes, it is against NCAA rules, and they are also getting hit with wire fraud and other charges.

Yeah because they are paying capital gains tax on 100k plus when its 2-3 times their yearly income. They aren't paying taxes, it is against NCAA rules, and they are also getting hit with wire fraud and other charges.
The NCAA does not make criminal law... so what are the wire fraud charges related to? Whats the underlying crime? They haven’t been charged with tax crimes.

@Saviorcane
See above

Advertisement
Back