OT: Arizona St. punter gets eligibility restored after going undrafted

Advertisement
I’m not getting too deep in the weeds on a one off. However, if we are ultimately going to allow guys to declare for the draft and come back and not require transfers to sit out? Holy ****. That will end college football as we know it.
It doesn't hurt college football. Only the NFL's leverage on college players. You should be more shocked that such an arcane rule of having to "declare for the draft" exists in the first place. In college baseball, there's no "declaration." You're simply drafted when you become draft eligible. You, the student athlete decide whether you want to sign a professional contract or just continue with school. Watch the 2020 MLB draft on June 10-11. There are only 5 rounds instead of 40 due to Covid-19. You'll see several players not sign after being drafted in the later rounds even though rounds 1-10 normally sign. The reason is that the money has changed. MLB 2020 First round money is $.5M-$8M. A 5th round pick gets about $300k-$400k. Also, 50% of salaries can be deferred to 2021. So, I expect drafted Miami Hurricanes baseball players to return to school with the exception of Chris McMahon and Slade Cecconi who are expected to be 1st round picks.

I don't know if any student athlete has ever tried to sue the NCAA over having 2 contradictory policies for it's athletes. There's no benefit to the NCAA or the universities it governs to have a policy that requires student athletes to declare for the draft. My only thought is that is to be a deterrent for it's biggest money making sports of college football and basketball. We can all see in plain sight that the deterrent doesn't work. Basketball players can declare after their freshman year. We see numerous football players declare and go underrated each year.

The only other explanation is that the NCAA requires this policy is to maintain a mutual beneficial relationship with the NFL. One of those benefits is that the NFL doesn't play games on Saturdays. At least not until the NFL playoffs begin.

Everything about draft declaration benefits the NFL. The NFL knows exactly who and how many players will be coming into the draft. They can focus their efforts on a limited number of players rather than researching the entire body of NCAA draft eligible student athletes. Because of the limited number of draft rounds, The NFL can leverage players for less money than they're truly worth.

Another reason is to ensure and maximize all rounds of the draft. Imagine that the NFL has to take on MLB model where players don't declare for the draft. Let's say a team has 7 draft picks. One in each round. They decide to draft all underclassmen. The guys drafted 4-7 could potentially not sign a contract. For example the guy drafted in the 4th round thought he was a 1st or 2nd round pick and the 5-7 feel they should have been drafted 2 rounds earlier. The team would wind up more than 1/2 of it's draft picks unsigned posing a threat to the teams viability. It would force teams to draft colleges Seniors in the latter rounds to guarantee those draft slots are filled. This would all be a big upset to the apple cart.

IMO, the #1 factor of a forced declaration is because the NFL doesn't have a minor league system nor does it want one. MLB can afford to have draftees unsigned because most drafted players spend several years in the minor leagues before making their major league debut. Meanwhile the NFL saves hundreds of millions of dollars every year by not being burdened with maintaining a minor league system and playing former college players immediately. So, the structure of the NFL is dictating the policies of NCAA football.

Last edited:
It says he didn't take any more from the agent. So that is probably the loophole

Exactly. So it'd be largely irrelevant for us because the first thing most of our guys do is take money, cars or "loans" from agents since the entire narrative about them leaving early is often the financial strife of their family.

It’s a legit loophole nonetheless. Easily can make the argument that you were banking on those in depth workouts to boost draft stock

Excuse me? There's been a way to do this the whole time?

If this is how this is introduced to CFB I'm going to be kinda mad. It's like the NCAA good ol' boys are just sliding this under the rug.

Advertisement
I feel kids should be allowed to return to school if they go undrafted. What's the harm? Some would rather sit on a practice squad but I'm sure others would make the choice to go back to school.

Would sure love to have Bandy back for his senior season.

I am Okay with kids throwing their name in there and if they don’t get drafted returning to school. I don't have one problem with it. I would def be okay with a permanent rule like that

You’re my guy; but I gotta disagree w u. This will f up recruiting & scholarship counts. The portal would be absolutely flooded.

I am Okay with kids throwing their name in there and if they don’t get drafted returning to school. I don't have one problem with it. I would def be okay with a permanent rule like that

Straight up, if they can do that in the NBA and MLB, is it not an injustice that it hasn't existed in CFB?

Advertisement
This was a bad idea that sets a precedent. Other players will sue for the same and it’s not viable for any sport outside of baseball. Having 40+ rounds and the ability to take high school kids makes baseball different. Having a minor league system and only 11.7 scholarships is unlike any other sport in college. If CFB let’s this get outta hand signing day, transfer rules and IC’s would have to change. The NFL would have to expand their draft as well.

You’re my guy; but I gotta disagree w u. This will f up recruiting & scholarship counts. The portal would be absolutely flooded.

That’s a good point and something I hadn't thought about but I still fell like the powers that be could come up with some form of ruling to deal with that

Advertisement
Back