OT: Arizona St. punter gets eligibility restored after going undrafted

Advertisement
I’m not getting too deep in the weeds on a one off. However, if we are ultimately going to allow guys to declare for the draft and come back and not require transfers to sit out? Holy ****. That will end college football as we know it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This sounds like a “one of” rather than a precedent setting ruling. I wonder if anybody sees it any differently, and why.

I don't know, man. He signed with an agent. Declared for the league. Went to the combine. The draft occurred. And he got reinstated after failing to get drafted.

Sure, his pro day was cancelled, but so were most pro days across the country. The way I see it, the only steps in the evaluation process missing here were a pro day and individual workouts, but even then he was on a level playing field with most other guys who entered the draft (and punters did get drafted). I could see an argument being made.

All that said, it's the NCAA and they don't give a fvck what most people think. Turk likely just got hooked up because his uncles are NFL guys. And if they look inconsistent in the future, I doubt they care too much about that.

I’m not getting too deep in the weeds on a one off. However, if we are ultimately going to allow guys to declare for the draft and come back and not require transfers to sit out? Holy ****. That will end college football as we know it.
I would think it would hurt incoming freshmen that don’t start until the summer? Would be hard to transfer and play meaningful snaps.

I truly loathe the NCAA. Mark Emmert is the biggest buffoon in all of sports in a “commissioner” role (although Rob Manfred is really trying to dethrone him.)

Can the guy get fired already

Advertisement
I truly loathe the NCAA. Mark Emmert is the biggest buffoon in all of sports in a “commissioner” role (although Rob Manfred is really trying to dethrone him.)

Can the guy get fired already
Fired isn't the word I was thinking of, but it will do.

Advertisement
I don't know, man. He signed with an agent. Declared for the league. Went to the combine. The draft occurred. And he got reinstated after failing to get drafted.

Sure, his pro day was cancelled, but so were most pro days across the country. The way I see it, the only steps in the evaluation process missing here were a pro day and individual workouts, but even then he was on a level playing field with most other guys who entered the draft (and punters did get drafted). I could see an argument being made.

All that said, it's the NCAA and they don't give a fvck what most people think. Turk likely just got hooked up because his uncles are NFL guys. And if they look inconsistent in the future, I doubt they care too much about that.

Maybe.

But reading the article I got the sense that this loophole was only created very specifically because of the lack of contact that a marginal player like a punter would normally need to have to be drafted.

These aren’t guys that get a ton of data post-season, and the way they get picked up on a free agent contract or get drafted in low rounds is through individual workouts, team workouts etc. Something which was eliminated during the pandemic.

I just got the sense that this was very much of a “one of“ because of the pandemic. I personally don’t think this is setting a precedent, but I could be wrong.

It says he didn't take any more from the agent. So that is probably the loophole

Advertisement
Back