OT - Amazon contest winner page jack

OriginalCanesCanesCanes

All-ACC (#1 most reproted porster on CIS)
I generally, but not always, view these pages from an iOS device.

The last couple of days a fake Amazon contest bubble has popped up 3 or 4 times and taken over the page, redirecting me to a fake contest winner page. Necessitating me to close that page and open the real CIS page again in another window,

It’s not a permanent inconvenience but I was wondering if this has happened recently to anyone else with an iOS device. Wondering if it’s something specific to my device or maybe a site or server “attack”?

Advertisement

The last couple of days a fake Amazon contest bubble has popped up 3 or 4 times and taken over the page, redirecting me to a fake contest winner page. Necessitating me to close that page and open the real CIS page again in another window,

It’s not a permanent inconvenience but I was wondering if this has happened recently to anyone else with an iOS device. Wondering if it’s something specific to my device or maybe a site or server “attack”?

malware on your phone...same happens to me when i try too look at fox news for a laugh.

Not just this site, many sites I visit with Safari. I've installed Chrome and have not had issues with it, but I hate that you can't change Safari from the default option when clicking links from other apps...or maybe I just haven't figured out how.

Advertisement
I’ll screenshot it the next time I get it.

Can’t believe I’ve got malware. That’s never happened to me before on a an IOS device. Windows and Android yes, but first time on iOS in years of using.

Ive gotten the same kind of thing from other sites I visit regularly. It seems like it will happen for a few days then not happen for a long time. Thats also using an iphone.

So here’s a screenshot....now it’s a google prize

And here’s the thing - this is a completely different device that has no connection to the other device I was having a problem with.

Doesn’t this eliminate my devices as the source of the problem? Making it more at a server or level NOT at my device. I’m almost certain.

What sucks is it jacks the page and I can’t use the back button, making me have to “x” out. That’s not malicious, per se, but intrusive as fūck.

EB3A05D1-A74D-48B8-A27B-4C39D9E9D59C.jpeg

I’ve had the same issue

Advertisement
Camels are using the Walmart card thing big time. Close friend had them try to scam him. Guy had a Middle-Eastern voice and said he was born in Washington State.

And here’s the thing - this is a completely different device that has no connection to the other device I was having a problem with.

Doesn’t this eliminate my devices as the source of the problem? Making it more at a server or level NOT at my device. I’m almost certain.

What sucks is it jacks the page and I can’t use the back button, making me have to “x” out. That’s not malicious, per se, but intrusive as fūck.

View attachment 59464

iOS is in no way of speaking in my wheel house, but I'm convinced it's a safari hack rather than an OS hack. I used to get this all the time. Installed chrome and haven't had any issues since.

Advertisement

View attachment 59464

All this jabberin' and your reward probably expired. Are you not aware how much room temperature rotisserie chicken $1000 will get you at Walmart?!

Wired is a reliable source.

Apparently this is a deal nationwide. I just quickly scanned the attached article, but it sounds like this is a growing problem.

The kicker is that it’s not a device problem, it’s a site problem. Caused by the ad themselves. It has affected The NY Times and The Atlantic websites as well as other reputable sites.

https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-mobile-ads-surge-as-sites-scramble-to-stop-them/

Advertisement
I've seen the same. Happens to me on this site and others as well. I also believe that it is a Safari issue and not an OS issue. Don't click the link, X out and re-open the page, and try not to use the safari browser on that device for doing anything important/secure. I also have the Chrome browser, but don't worry about Safari stuff and try to keep Chrome reserved for anytime I need to do something secure. In other words, use safari for message boards, surfing, news, whatever, and only use Chrome on occasion.

This is all based just off of what I've read about internet/device/email, etc security and I am not an expert, but it is my understanding that iOS is designed the way it is with Apps so that everything is silo'd. Your Safari may be corrupted, but it's stuck there and doesn't get to take over the rest of your phone.

I've seen the same. Happens to me on this site and others as well. I also believe that it is a Safari issue and not an OS issue. Don't click the link, X out and re-open the page, and try not to use the safari browser on that device for doing anything important/secure. I also have the Chrome browser, but don't worry about Safari stuff and try to keep Chrome reserved for anytime I need to do something secure. In other words, use safari for message boards, surfing, news, whatever, and only use Chrome on occasion.

This is all based just off of what I've read about internet/device/email, etc security and I am not an expert, but it is my understanding that iOS is designed the way it is with Apps so that everything is silo'd. Your Safari may be corrupted, but it's stuck there and doesn't get to take over the rest of your phone.

I’m no IT guy either. I believe it’s the way the pop up ad, which originates at the site/server, interacts with whatever browser you use, so it may affect some browsers and not others. Either way, it’s something that’s “off-site”, not actually on your device therefore not attached to your os or even browser software.

You actually have to on the website for it to occur.

It's probably because you have too much time on your hands and not enough meaningful relationships in your life.

This is a football board.

Go somewhere else for advice when your phone doesn't work.

Hey! I just won a phone! To top it off it is being delivered, in person, by a Nigerian princess. To sweeten the deal, she is transferring $5,000,000 into my bank account as we speak. Man, must be my lucky day.

Advertisement
Back