OT: 10 years... gawd****!!!

Negro-Wan Kanobi

I got the force.... on hood
Premium
Honest question. So you think it was smart for Patrick Mahomes II to sign himself to Kansas City for 10 years? Seems like he will be getting paid 40 million a year, but with the salary cap rising every year, do you think it was smart for Pat?

Advertisement
Honest question. So you think it was smart for Patrick Mahomes II to sign himself to Kansas City for 10 years? Seems like he will be getting paid 40 million a year, but with the salary cap rising every year, do you think it was smart for Pat?

I want to know that guaranteed money , that’s all that matters.

Advertisement
I really want to see the contract and now I want to see how the percentage is used/calculated. Please provide a link.
Details haven’t been released on it yet but that’s the speculation..which makes sense for both parties honestly given we don’t know the future of the cap after the 2020 szn

Advertisement
Advertisement

I know what he's doing tonight

tenor.gif

Advertisement
Yes it was smart because he's going to get a shìt ton of guaranteed money plus years of security.

NFL contracts can be front loaded with signing bonus money, roster bonuses, incentives & flat salary base. The per yer money almost doesn't really matter it's just how much of it is guaranteed & how much of it does he get upfront, because for a 10 year deal the majority of the money will be within the first 4 years of the contract & towards the backend will likely be a manageable base salary so that it doesn't eat it too much of the salary cap.

So they'll give him like 60-80% of his money within the first 4-5 years & the rest will be easy money. NFL teams don't want heavy Dead money contracts so they rarely ever backload a deal, they want to give you the money early & have you count towards the cap for less & less as the years of the deal dwindle down.

A 10 year deal in the league can ripped up & resctrured as soon as the guarantee money runs out, so if the league cap continues to rise & players get a larger percentage of the league revenue in collective bargaining, Mahomes can always just go back to the table & renegotiate a new deal.

But for right now, it's a great deal for Pat, he's going to be the highest paid player in league history.

This isn’t some “Scottie Pippen got fleeced by the Bulls” type of deal. The cap may go down next year due to COVID and a loss of team revenue this year. Now is the time to lock in a monster pay day. It’s more money than he can ever spend and he clearly is happy in KC.

Yes it was smart because he's going to get a shìt ton of guaranteed money plus years of security.

NFL contracts can be front loaded with signing bonus money, roster bonuses, incentives & flat salary base. The per yer money almost doesn't really matter it's just how much of it is guaranteed & how much of it does he get upfront, because for a 10 year deal the majority of the money will be within the first 4 years of the contract & towards the backend will likely be a manageable base salary so that it doesn't eat it too much of the salary cap.

So they'll give him like 60-80% of his money within the first 4-5 years & the rest will be easy money. NFL teams don't want heavy Dead money contracts so they rarely ever backload a deal, they want to give you the money early & have you count towards the cap for less & less as the years of the deal dwindle down.

A 10 year deal in the league can ripped up & resctrured as soon as the guarantee money runs out, so if the league cap continues to rise & players get a larger percentage of the league revenue in collective bargaining, Mahomes can always just go back to the table & renegotiate a new deal.

But for right now, it's a great deal for Pat, he's going to be the highest paid player in league history.
Inb4 I could say the exact same thing.

Advertisement
Back